71 Trailswest Campster: Plywood Floor Replacement? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
California
Registry
71 Trailswest Campster: Plywood Floor Replacement?

Hi All -

I'm doing a ground up rebuild on our 71 Trailswest Campster - and am at the point where I am pulling up the plywood floor - only to find that it is attached with some sort of nasty mastic. Anyone have experience removing a plywood floor? I've tried pulling it up and since the plywood is old and rotten in some places it has broken and splintered - not looking forward to spending several days trying to get that up. Would a heat gun loosen the mastic? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

We're doing a frame up rebuild for a trip later this summer. So far I've succeed in gutting the camper, removing it from the frame, prepping it for exterior painting, replacing the springs and bearings and rebuilding the mechanics of the pop top. I'm ready to start on what I'm hoping will be the fun stuff!
thinkerfeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #2

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Heat would help.

You would have to be very careful, but if you have a good starting point, one of those scrapers you put on a reciprocating saw might work.
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A scraper on a reciprocating saw sounds like a hand full at the very least.

A Oscillating or Multi-tool device with a straight "plunge" saw blade might be easier to handle and, if you don't already have one, it's a great tool to have on hand. I use a Craftsman, but here is a link to what they look like at H/F, along with samples of blades. I hardly ever do a job without using mine for some part of the job. And they cut fiberglass without making a mess.

Search results for: 'multi tool'

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #4

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I'm with bob on that one.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:35 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
California
Registry
Thanks all - I do have a multi tool with the flat scraper tool - I'll try that with a little bit of heat. If that doesn't work - I'll just try to take out the damaged part and replace that. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks,

David Brandvik
thinkerfeeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campster