72 Boler American - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2006, 12:46 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Send a message via MSN to BillNKC Send a message via Yahoo to BillNKC
Good afternoon, some of you may have seen the before pictures of my 72 Boler American from Wichita Kansas. It was a sad sight when I picked him up in Iowa back in February. The original Gel coat was chalking the cushions were brittle the curtains were shriveled and moldy the seam the tape was yellow and separating and the darn thing leaked and the door didn’t come close to fitting.
Here we are 6 months later door fits all rivets drilled and replaced with stainless steel machine bolts and nuts and plastic caps. The roof vent has been replaced with a fantastic fan. The wiring for the 12 volts has been updated with fuses and terminal blocks. The old trashed out furnace has been removed and will be replaced someday with something far better.
New paint on the outside, new door wind lace, new door seals and new front and back glass rubbers. And new wheel bearings, races and tires.
I have taken a 5000 BTU window a/c and made duct work that will pipe cold air in thru the old furnace exhaust, and draw air from the window over the stove. I didn’t want to drill or cut any new holes in the body so I made do with what was there. It still needs some refinement but it’s a start.
Tomorrow the Boler Logos get painted. Then I am off on my first long trip with her, and the new awning will go up, a/c will be set in place and I will have a comfortable place to lay my head each day.
It’s been an expensive project and yet it’s nearing completion. Or close let’s say as they never are really finished. The laminate floor you see in the photos is what I did 2 weeks ago and it looks great yet it added 75Lbs to the animal. Maybe not the best move on my part.
If you have questions I will try and answer thank you for looking.
If you would like you may see the before and after photos click on the following link in yahoo.

Again Thanks for all the pointers I have seen here.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/heybluenmo20...m/ph//my_photos
BillNKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Bill, nice work. The front sofa really looks great. Looks like you made the back table able to be moved side to side. Nice feature. Would love to have a better understanding of how you did the A/C. Regarding the furnace--why not do without one? We didn't order one and have never missed it. When we get up and it is cold we just make coffee and the little Scamp is warmed up. I did buy a little elec cube that I have used once...just because we were plugged in for a change. Also bought a Mr. Buddy but never used it inside and left it home on the last trip. If my stove top doesn't warm me up I don't think I want to be out. If I plan to be out where it is very cold I will look for electricity to keep the condensation problem down.

Nancy in MN
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Bill, nice work. The front sofa really looks great. Looks like you made the back table able to be moved side to side. Nice feature. Would love to have a better understanding of how you did the A/C. Regarding the furnace--why not do without one? We didn't order one and have never missed it. When we get up and it is cold we just make coffee and the little Scamp is warmed up. I did buy a little elec cube that I have used once...just because we were plugged in for a change. Also bought a Mr. Buddy but never used it inside and left it home on the last trip. If my stove top doesn't warm me up I don't think I want to be out. If I plan to be out where it is very cold I will look for electricity to keep the condensation problem down.

Nancy in MN
Next week when I have everything set up I will take some pics of the a/c unit and the awniong I had made and share it with all my friends.

The table in the back is simply turned upside down for travelling

And thank you for the kind words
Old 08-15-2006, 05:59 PM   #4

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
That Boler's ready to go out on the town! Congratulations, great job bringing another one in from the fields!
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:38 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
WOW, Bill - what a great rehab ... and we loved Myron's statement about "ringing one in from the field." Now, hit the road! We wish you many safe journeys and wonderful memories. Hope to see ya out there one of these days! L 'n D
Old 08-15-2006, 11:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Tomorrow the Boler Logos get painted. Then I am off on my first long trip with her, and the new awning will go up, a/c will be set in place and I will have a comfortable place to lay my head each day.
Looking good Bill

Wish ours looked as good for our 1st long trip.

Safe and Happy travels.

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I like the effect of the striping. Do those colors match your tow vehicle?

Also, what did you use for your front and back window covers?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:05 AM   #8

Quote:
I like the effect of the striping. Do those colors match your tow vehicle?

Also, what did you use for your front and back window covers?

The tow vehicle is a White Ford Ranger the black and gold stripes are the color's for the University of Missouri

The window covers are original Boler covers. I was lucky to find them still on the camper.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #9

Name: Crystal
Trailer: in the market
New York
Costs? New link to photos?

Hi!

I realize that this thread is a few years old, yet I hope it might still pop up somewhere that Bill might see it.

Do you have a rough idea of what it cost to refurbish this trailer?

Do you have an updated link to photos? Presently, the link just sends me to the main page for flickr.

I don't have a trailer yet, but I fell in love with a Boler that was parked in a campsite near mine last week. Now I'm looking for one that I can refurbish too and possibly turn into a small mobile office.

Thanks!

Crystal
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Hi Crystal,
Bill has not logged on in more than 3 years. You can look at my restoration of a boler American if you like:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...can-25724.html
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler