'74 Compact II restoration started - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #41

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
sorry - double post
Old 05-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #42

Trailer: Compact Jr
Hi again Francene, I went to the site you told me about and it worked wonders for the pics now they will enlarge the way everyone elses do. I was wondering how you were all doing that. Thanks again and will keep you posted on mods as I get to them. after we take it out on the maiden trip we will post some new pics of the camper all clean.
Heath G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:05 PM   #43

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
[quote] For the warm welcome. SNIP! Anyway I think I can post the pics so lets try

Attachment 20371

Attachment 20369

WOW...what a STEAL!

Before you set out on your trip, may I suggest you at least tow it around town a bit? Might help you work out some kinks BEFORE hitting the Big Road!

Jen

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:13 PM   #44

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Your photos look great now, Heath. Nice looking trailer you've got.
Does yours not have any fabric on the walls?

Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #45

No fabric for the walls on mine when I got it . I think I am leaning towards seeing if scamp dealer will sell what they put in those in bulk and I will do it myself.

And to respond to you sug. Jen, I will do that. When I drove it home I noticed it bounced around allot. I just put new bias ply tires on it and hope that helps. I do know that I had a few problems that did not help the handleing. I found out that the ball is a 2 inch and not the 1 7/8 that I used, the tunge was way to high up and I caught the rear bumper pulling out of the driveway it was in, and the stealbelted radials that were on it were severly dry rooted. Now that I fixed all that I will try agasin and see if it is better
Old 05-28-2009, 12:36 AM   #46

Registry
Work continues- Welded on a few more angle irons for floor support and fastening. De-rusted frame and just primed it all;
Also primed fiberglass 'lip'. It will look cleaner and nicer with a coat of paint. Not much fun painting lying on your back, crawling under the frame, but it's protected from rust and the elements somewhat more now. Plus it looks almost 'new'!

Soon the new plywood floor will go in, and a new floor covering on top of that.
Attached Thumbnails
frame_primed.jpg   hole_patched.jpg  

windows_removed.jpg  
Old 05-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #47

Interesting!

What do you plan to do about insulation on the walls?
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #48

francene, I am sorry that I butted in on you thread so much. I was just so happy to find so many people that had all these ideas on campers like ours I got a little carried away. I love your pics and am enjoying following the adventure. As this is also the first forum I have ever been apart of I am still learning. at 35, I have started to get into the computer age a little late. Still learning the ins and outs of how to be polite when not speeking face to face with people. this is all a little new to me. But you have all been so nice I am sure you can help me when I start my own thred. but for now I will continue to look in on all the fun projects you all have going. Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #49

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
It is great to read all these postings about reno's. I have no garage to work in, and when we bought our trailer, previous onwer had painted all the wood surfaces pink, to match the deep burgundy, textured cushion covers they had pinned on. The pink has got to go as we have now a lovely green cushion covers. The last two trips and a couple of days of rain indicate that I have to re-seal windows. No big leaks but anything stored under the dinette gets wet. Also condensation is an issue and I would be interested about the pro's and cons of ensolite vs. reflectix. I believe that Compact manufacturer added the quilted vinyl with foam backing with the 1973 model. I understand first Bolers did not have insulation but it was a problem that was solved with the ensolite.
Have fun fellow owners.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:32 PM   #50

Registry
No problem, Heath. We all 'butt in' here. That's what this forum is for- to exchange ideas, comment on eachother's projects, learn from eachother, help each other through confusion, and of course, put in our 'two-cents', as they say.

Glad you are enjoying it all.

Fran
Old 05-30-2009, 11:37 PM   #51

Registry
Good question, Steve. I definitely will put some in; either a foam-baked material, ensolite or XPE, reflectix. I don't know at this point. I'm open to suggestions.

Fran
Old 05-30-2009, 11:40 PM   #52

Registry
So the Compact Jr came first, Kent? Then the company made the Compact II? Other than shape and length of pop-top, what differences are there?

Fran
Old 06-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #53

I was wondering if anyone knows where to get the interioir that the scamps have in them or if the factory will sell it through the parts department. I have a dvd here at home from scamp and it looks like a neat and easdy to install interior
Old 06-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #54

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Do you mean the cabinetry, such as the kitchen, closet, and benches? Or are you thinking of the "rat fur" used on the walls, or...?

Most of the molded parts are made with the curves of a Boler/clone in mind, so they would probably need enough customization to make them rather time-consuming to fit to a "square" camper such as a Compact. That said, I could see the kitchen base potentially working. Still, it's not really all that special - I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, but it's just a fiberglass shell, really. It's not bristling with custom drawers or anything like that. It would be a neat and "quick" install on a Boler clone.

I know from inquiring about the upper cabinets that the units would be expensive to ship. One of the (relatively small) upper end cabinets would have cost around $150 to buy, and then the same amount to ship, effectively doubling the price.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #55

Registry
Scamp does sell the wall covering, 'rat fur' as some call it, in their parts department. I think it was $9. square yard. Insulation is separate. I think they use something like Reflectix.

Fran
Old 06-02-2009, 06:12 AM   #56

Thank you, and yes I was refering to the Rat fur. I have never been in one to see the fabric first hand. It looks nice in the video that I saw of it. The isulation was more of interset to me. If it is the same as the other that you mentiond I should be able to find it elsewhere. I was concernd that I have seen more thatn one person talk about the condesatio n on the walls of the cj and cjII. That was one thing my wiofe was looking forward to getting away from in a camper.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #57

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Francene, you mentioned you got a 3-way fridge with yours. I'm trying to figure out what would fit well in mine. Would you please tell me the make and model you have, as well as the outside dimensions?

And Heath, would you provide the same information on your fridge?

Thanks!
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #58

Dana T, my fridge is only the 2 way thst runs on propane or 110 power. it is made by norcold and I will go out and get the dementions for you soon. IO know that mine was replaced many years ago but it dtill works well and I can tell you that it is the same as the original because nothing was cut out to make it fir.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #59

Heath,

I am also interested in the refrigderator replacement. Could you please provide a model number so that I may research the specs. I am almost at the point of mounting the original refridgerator back in, and will do a final test before I do. If the new model is affordable, I may opt for a new one.
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #60

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
My Compact Jr originally had an ice box, so I can only guess at the refrigerator.

Looking at Dometic's current line I see that only the RM2351 and RM2354 look like likely candidates -- they are 29 3/4 high, 20 1/2 wide, and 21 3/8 deep. Most of the rest are 24" deep, and after you add in the 1" clearance required in back and account for the sloping trailer side, a nominal 24" refrigerator would stick out into the aisle too much. They do have another model that isn't so deep, the RM2193, but it is 21" high and 17 3/4 wide -- much smaller than I want.

The Norcold N300/N300.3 at 29 3/4 high, 20 1/2 wide, and 21 3/8 deep looks ideal for these trailers. Another possibility is the Norcold 774 or 874 at 33 1/8 high, 22" wide, and 21 3/4 deep.

Dometic used to make a number of models that would fit well, including the following:
RM4290 and 4292 29 5/8H 20 5/8W 20D
RM36 28 3/4H 20 1/2W 20 5/8D
RM360, 361, 2300, 2301, 2310, 2332, 2333, all of which were 29 3/4H 20 1/2W 21 3/8D

Remember on all of these measurements to add the required 1" clearance in back to calculate how much they intrude into the aisleway.

-------------

Cliff, I found the "refrigerator replacements" guide at the Dometic web site very helpful for getting the measurements of not only current Dometic models, but also for other brands and discontinued models. You can go to http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas/USA/R...uctdataid=71135 to see the RM 2354, and then click on the orange "replacement models" link in the "Useful Links" menu on the righthand side of the page to download the PDF.
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote