74 Trillium - Cushon size - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Hi -

we are re-doing (new foam and fabric) the cushions on our 74 Trillium.

Has anyone made a backrest for the bunk-bed (making it more of a couch)?

If so, can you provide us with dimensions / template / pattern for the foam?

thanks

Barry
Barry Konkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
We DID/I have and NO, I can't!!

We had the 'sofa' done in am upholstery shop over towards the Abby hairport, it all had to be eyeballed to be done correctly.

Our 'sofa' was over a foot thick in the corners (to get the curves just right) and then whittled down to decent size.

Foam is NOT cheap and neither is 'shop' labour!!!
Attached Thumbnails
front___sofa___seat.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
are you doing the sewing yourself? I used all new foam and rounded the corners with an electric carving knife to custom fit it into the space. the back on mine is shorter than the original and I used a lot of loose throw pillows to fill in the sides. I still have the old cushions, shame you don't live in Wpg.

once I had the foam shaped right. I cut all the fabric to the exact same size. sew'd it together and wrestled it over the foam. turned out nice. the bottoms of the cushions are vinyl.
Attached Thumbnails
table2.jpg  
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #4

Quote:

We had the 'sofa' done in am upholstery shop over towards the Abby hairport, it all had to be eyeballed to be done correctly.

Our 'sofa' was over a foot thick in the corners (to get the curves just right) and then whittled down to decent size.

Doug -

that looks teriffic! I think we are going to go for just new cushions and a back rest - but your couch is very impressive. I love the mongram too!

Barry
Old 11-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
are you doing the sewing yourself? I used all new foam and rounded the corners with an electric carving knife to custom fit it into the space. the back on mine is shorter than the original and I used a lot of loose throw pillows to fill in the sides. I still have the old cushions, shame you don't live in Wpg.

once I had the foam shaped right. I cut all the fabric to the exact same size. sew'd it together and wrestled it over the foam. turned out nice. the bottoms of the cushions are vinyl.
Scott -

We are going to do the sewing (well, my wife is, not me...I am mechanical and strucutral and she is interior design and handicrafts...) We are lookingfor ideas for the bunk bed (front of the trailer) but your dinette looks great - I like the round table - how does it 'retract' / fold for the bed?

Barry
Old 11-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
Doug -

Beautiful couch - I love the contrasting piping. Quality work like that is not cheap, but is worth it.
Jake Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #7

Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	T1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	16866
Doug -

Beautiful couch - I love the contrasting piping. Quality work like that is not cheap, but is worth it.[/quote]

....Thanks Jake the same shop is now trying to get a 'slot' for me to get a new convertable top made for our T Touring...

...This top was installed in back in 1958.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
....Thanks Jake the same shop is now trying to get a 'slot' for me to get a new convertable top made for our T Touring...
Wow, what a beauty! Do you pull your camper with it?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Wow, what a beauty! Do you pull your camper with it?
Well yes, in a way we do but NOT the Glass Egg we tow a 1965 Emperor Tent trailer (NOT a hardtopper)
Attached Thumbnails
T_and_Emperor_Trailer___Washington_Pass.jpg   Preparing_a_July_4th_feast_in_Winthrop.jpg  

Old 11-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #10

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
the round one is just for cocktail hour Barry, I have a square one that pops out and hide in the closet when not in use. my trailer is also a front kitchen model so I don't have a bunk option. IM me when you start sewing, I have lots of tips.
Quote:
We are going to do the sewing (well, my wife is, not me...I am mechanical and strucutral and she is interior design and handicrafts...) We are lookingfor ideas for the bunk bed (front of the trailer) but your dinette looks great - I like the round table - how does it 'retract' / fold for the bed?

Barry
Attached Thumbnails
seating2.JPG  
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:24 AM   #11

Quote:
IM me when you start sewing, I have lots of tips.
Sahm here, Scott. Thanks for the offer of "tips". I have a feeling I'm going to need them!

I saved all the zippers (will wash them well) and made careful note of the sizes of pieces but I have to admit I'm a bit daunted by the task.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:07 PM   #12

Barry -

It isn't too hard. I upholster professionally, so I can help also.

The nice thing is you already have a pattern from the old covers - just rip the seams and use all the old pieces as a template. If you are using a "home" type sewing machine, it will work but just be careful to go slower as you work to be easier on the machine's motor and gearings. If you are using a pro upholstery machine, use a piping foot - if you are using a home machine, you can use a zipper foot to do the piping. If you don't wish to do piping, and want to make it easy as possible, you can do a "waterfall" type cover (do a google). The only disadvantage to waterfall covers is that they don't stay in place as well after sitting on them a few times (they tend to shift). If you are cutting new foam, make sure to make it slightly larger than the cover, that way it will "fill out" the cover and give a nice, tight, clean appearance (and not shift). If you are using a fabric for upholstery, it is a good idea to make the bottom pieces in vinyl - helps prevent mold and mildew from dampness.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. The best thing to do is simply purchase your yardage and just "go for it". It really isn't so hard once you get started.

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Quote:

Doug, I guess you don't sleep on the front couch then. You make up the rear bed each day with your only table being at the back? I really like your couch idea but had been thinking of converting to a front dinette and leaving the bed made up during the day. How does this arrangement work out for you? Love the street rods as well. I have a '65 Chev pickup and a '40 Chev that we towed a 24 ft house trailer with a few years back. The 24 ft is gone but the Chev is still with us. It will never know the Trillium is behind it..
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:15 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Doug, I guess you don't sleep on the front couch then. You make up the rear bed each day with your only table being at the back? I really like your couch idea but had been thinking of converting to a front dinette and leaving the bed made up during the day. How does this arrangement work out for you? Love the street rods as well. I have a '65 Chev pickup and a '40 Chev that we towed a 24 ft house trailer with a few years back. The 24 ft is gone but the Chev is still with us. It will never know the Trillium is behind it..
Don, we NEVER have had to use the front 'sofa' to sleep on YET. I say YET, because thankfully,,I have NEVER been in the dog house with the Trailer Goddess!! We have decided to leave the rear dinnette made up as a bed 24/7 and we use the front sofa to stow our bags n excess cargo on at night. 99% of all of our cooking and dining IS done outside under our bag awning. I just couldn't bear to hack up the front of the egg although (as a gear-head), I have seen some REALLY nice conversions, MOST of which are done in "Trailer Queen" style trailers...!!?

...just for couriosity sake, have you ever heard of the C S R A ?????
Old 11-24-2008, 02:56 AM   #15

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Quote:
Don, we NEVER have had to use the front 'sofa' to sleep on YET. I say YET, because thankfully,,I have NEVER been in the dog house with the Trailer Goddess!! We have decided to leave the rear dinnette made up as a bed 24/7 and we use the front sofa to stow our bags n excess cargo on at night. 99% of all of our cooking and dining IS done outside under our bag awning. I just couldn't bear to hack up the front of the egg although (as a gear-head), I have seen some REALLY nice conversions, MOST of which are done in "Trailer Queen" style trailers...!!?

...just for couriosity sake, have you ever heard of the C S R A ?????
Yes I have Doug. I am a lifetime member. We finished the '40 Chev on a Thurs night in 1984 (as if they are ever finished) and headed out to the Canats in Peterborough 6 hours later. Car has been on the road ever since. I like your idea about not hacking up the front end. Think we will try ours a few times the way it is before we decide to remodel.
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium