75 Boler Skylight Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: '75 Boler
YT
75 Boler Skylight Replacement

Hello,

We've recently purchased a 1975 Boler and it's in need of a number of upgrades. First up is the skylight - one of the hinge pins has rusted through and there's water getting in when it rains.

I'm hoping the collective wisdom of the forum can help advise in either replacing the skylight with another opener-style skylight (and where's a good source to order them from) or whether to go with a non-opener window (Scamp looks like a good source there). Any advice would be helpful. Rough opening is approximately 30"x15."

Thanks for your time! Apologies if this question has been posted previously - I wasn't able to find it.

James.
JamesYukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
A pic would be helpful. The original vent would he had a rough opening of 9 1/2" x 9 1/2", so not sure what you have in your roof right now. You sound like you have a sunroof in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesYukon View Post
Hello,

We've recently purchased a 1975 Boler and it's in need of a number of upgrades. First up is the skylight - one of the hinge pins has rusted through and there's water getting in when it rains.

I'm hoping the collective wisdom of the forum can help advise in either replacing the skylight with another opener-style skylight (and where's a good source to order them from) or whether to go with a non-opener window (Scamp looks like a good source there). Any advice would be helpful. Rough opening is approximately 30"x15."

Thanks for your time! Apologies if this question has been posted previously - I wasn't able to find it.

James.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi James, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Skylight or do you mean a passive vent opening with a lid?

There are lots of kind and helpful people here on the forums. Once we have a better idea exactly what you need, there will be folks stepping up to help you
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #4

YT
Hello Rick, Donna,

Sun roof would be the proper term - thanks.
Here are the attached photographs.

James.
Attached Thumbnails
SunRoofOpen.jpg   SunRoofCloseUp.jpg  

Old 09-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #5

Yep it sure is! That's an owner mod, it didn't come from the factory that way. Can you see a manufacturer brand anywhere on the frame? If you can, I'd start there for hinge pins for that particular unit. Now, if you want to change that out to either a power vent or passive vent, there's lots of info here to be had.

Maybe someone on the forums has more info regarding a skylight. The last car I owned that had one like that was in the 1970s and it leaked like a sieve even when brand new!
Old 09-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #6

Registry
Ditto Donna I had a few of those in a few cars way back then and have never had a sunroof in a car since. They would never seal right and always got wet inside the car when it rained.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #7

Registry
Scamp sells a 18" x 25" Escape Hatch but it would mean filling in some of the opening with fiberglass. Guess the previous owner was not worried about bugs getting in as the sunroof has no screen.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #8

I have no idea what your camping experience expectations may be... BUT, unless you know and expect to replace that skylight with something else (may require fiberglassing)... I'd slather the outside with a caulk to prevent leaks (it wouldn't open). NO SILICONE!
Old 09-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Hello,

...... one of the hinge pins has rusted through and there's water getting in when it rains...........James.
I'm wondering if there is a possibility of repairing what you have. Perhaps a photo of the rusted out area?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #10

Name: Kent
Trailer: 1974 1300 Boler
Manitoba
I have two sunroofs just like that installed in my 13' Boler. No leaks. Just keep the rubber seal lubricated.

I would start by checking out some auto salvage yards. These sunroofs are aftermarket so you will need to find something from the 80's.

You could also try some auto glass shops. They may be able to supply parts.

Failing that, you should be able to replace the pin.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Might want to try the sunroof doctor. maybe they have something for you.
The Sunroof Doctor - Your source for replacement sunroof & t-top parts!
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:59 AM   #12

Name: T'chaka
Trailer: in the market
New York
Quote:
Hello Rick, Donna,

Sun roof would be the proper term - thanks.
Here are the attached photographs.

James.
Hi James, do you know where these pics are from? Would love to know more about this instillation process...
T'chaka

keep the rubber side down.
tchaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #13

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmboler View Post
I have two sunroofs just like that installed in my 13' Boler. No leaks. Just keep the rubber seal lubricated.

I would start by checking out some auto salvage yards. These sunroofs are aftermarket so you will need to find something from the 80's.

You could also try some auto glass shops. They may be able to supply parts.

Failing that, you should be able to replace the pin.
Hi JK boler, I just recently acquired a 73 boler and want to install such a sunroof/moonroof/skylight as may be installed in yours. Would you be willing to share some details on your install and perhaps some photos?

Thanks,
T'chaka

Old 08-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #14

Manitoba
Install is fairly simple, just be sure to measure twice and cut once... it would be difficult to make the hole smaller after cutting!

If you purchase a new unit, it will come with a template. In my case I got both from salvage yards and removed them from cars in the yard. I made a template of the hole in the roof of the car with a piece of cardboard and used that for the placement and hole size.

I laid out the roof top with masking tape, positioned the template, marked the location I decided and using a 3/8" drill bit, drilled a hole one corner. I used a jigsaw with a fine pitched blade and cut away.

The frame of the sunroof may have some curvature to it so I laid this on the roof and slid it forward/backwards of the selected install location to find the best fitment.

After cutting the hole, I used Butyl tape to seal the outside frame to the camper roof and screwed the inner frame into place.

I can take some photos of the finished install and I even still have the fiberglass piece I cut out but it may be a day or two before I can post the photos.

My install looks exactly the same as the photos in post #4.

On a side note, I originally planned on putting a bug screen on the sunroof, but it seems that bugs don't hang out on the roof. I have never had a bug problem and the only bugs inside the camper seem to exit via the sunroof, not enter by it.

I use a good quality rubber dressing or hand lotion with lanolin to keep the rubber seal soft and leak free (never use Vaseline). The first sunroof was installed over 15 years ago and has never leaked. The second sunroof went in 3 years ago and is also fine.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #15

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmboler View Post
Install is fairly simple, just be sure to measure twice and cut once... it would be difficult to make the hole smaller after cutting!

If you purchase a new unit, it will come with a template. In my case I got both from salvage yards and removed them from cars in the yard. I made a template of the hole in the roof of the car with a piece of cardboard and used that for the placement and hole size.

I laid out the roof top with masking tape, positioned the template, marked the location I decided and using a 3/8" drill bit, drilled a hole one corner. I used a jigsaw with a fine pitched blade and cut away.

The frame of the sunroof may have some curvature to it so I laid this on the roof and slid it forward/backwards of the selected install location to find the best fitment.

After cutting the hole, I used Butyl tape to seal the outside frame to the camper roof and screwed the inner frame into place.

I can take some photos of the finished install and I even still have the fiberglass piece I cut out but it may be a day or two before I can post the photos.

My install looks exactly the same as the photos in post #4.
Thanks so much James! Would love to see pics for size and placement ideas. Is there anything specific to note about the sunrooves you used? Size, manufacture, cars they came from? I definitely want to try this.
Great job!

T'

Old 08-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #16

Manitoba
Pop-Up Sunroof Kits From The Sunroof Doctor

If you want to purchase new. If you find the right wrecking yard, you might find some (they are getting scarce as they were popular in the 70's & 80's).

I will get some measurements when I take the photos.

Kent
Old 08-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #17

Manitoba
Both sunroofs are the same size, the hole I cut was 30.5" x 15.5".

Photos:

Front sunroof

This one is over the bed in the rear

I added the curtain so I could sleep in (if needed)!!

The cut panel I removed is a little ratty as I had to dig it out from under the deck!
Old 08-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #18

New York
Thanks so much for showing me these. I will be hitting the scrap yard asap!

And you have no leaking or pooling issues?

Absolutely brilliant!

T'

Old 08-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #19

Manitoba
No leaks.

I would suggest using Loctite on all the hardware that secures the glass to the hinges.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #20

YT
Hey tchaka,
The photographs are from the sunroof in my Boler that I pulled out and then patched over with fibreglass. The previous previous owner had not done a particularly good install - there were a number of small leaks. I prefer no sunroof as it makes it the trailer darker and easier to sleep/nap in for our little one.
James.

Tags
boler, light