75 Trillium New Clear Coat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft
Here's a few pics of our 75 Trillium, as I mentioned in earlier posts I was waiting on some warm weather and an afternoon, well, it's 83 degrees today and lots of sun so I set out just 5 hours ago to shoot the trill with some clear. (I've been color sanding for weeks though). I thought I'd try the duplicolor clear coat from Auto Zone, I was going to shoot it with automotive clear but thought I'd give it a try. Here's the pros and the cons in case you want to know. I used my hvlp gun on this project.

Pros:
Easy to shoot, levels fast no runs even on final coat
cost was fairly cheap it took 4 quarts, but could have used up to 6 @ 21.00 quart. (84.00) on this project.
No mixing or thinning, no hardners, low overspray just pour in the gun and shoot (very easy)
You can overshoot at any time for touch up without a problem.
Very satisfactory results no need to color sand and buff
Dries to the touch very fast

Cons:
none, easy and great results

If you're like me, no extra time this is a good bet if you want to shine up your trailer with little expense. Color sand it with wet and dry paper, if you want a really nice finish then do your final sanding with 600 , 800 or 1000. Be sure to wipe it down with wax remover (also availabe at Auto Zone). I'm happy with it and this puppy is going up for sale soon! Almost time to move on to a new project.

Cons:
No real cons on this project.
Attached Thumbnails
100_1009__Medium_.JPG   100_1011__Medium_.JPG  

100_1015__Medium_.JPG  
Roger Hunckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Looking good Roger!
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Trillium 13 ft and 1977 Apache Royale
It looks fabulous!! What is colour sanding though???

Sherrie in Elmira, ON
Old 05-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #4

Quote:
It looks fabulous!! What is colour sanding though???

Sherrie in Elmira, ON
basically it's just fine sanding the fiberglass finish to accept paint or clear. Usually after a coat of clear coat you fine sand and buff the clear out, that's the term for color sanding. It sound's cool but it's just fine sanding!

Roger
Old 05-27-2008, 03:55 AM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1976
wow thanks so much. this is what i would like to be able to do with my green grape too. did you rent a sprayer and enclosure to do it at a paint shop? am wondering how hard it would be to do myself
Janet G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:44 AM   #6

Quote:
wow thanks so much. this is what i would like to be able to do with my green grape too. did you rent a sprayer and enclosure to do it at a paint shop? am wondering how hard it would be to do myself
I actually sprayed it outside, it only took about 40 minutes, the weather was perfect and no bugs. You can buy a good hvlp spray gun (High Volume Low Pressure) for under 100.00. If you read up on spraying techniques there's no doubt you can do it yourself. This Duplicolor clear coat dried to the touch pretty fast with very low overspray, so there was no trash in it. Make sure you have a proper mask for spraying as well. Spraying is easy, your results will come from good preperation.

Roger
Old 05-27-2008, 07:59 AM   #7

Hi Roger,

Does your HVLP gun work with a compressor or is it standalone? I have always been hesitant to try one as I thought you needed a fairly serious compressor. I have a 60gal but don't have the space in my panel for the 220 breaker... how I ended up with a 60gal is another story.

Booker
Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Hi Roger,

Does your HVLP gun work with a compressor or is it standalone? I have always been hesitant to try one as I thought you needed a fairly serious compressor. I have a 60gal but don't have the space in my panel for the 220 breaker... how I ended up with a 60gal is another story.

Booker
It requires a compressor, I have a regulator on my gun, and sprayed at about 25lbs air pressure. It's a gravity feed cup and the fan is adjustable from wide to narrow so you can really shoot into some tight places if you need to. I've painted a few cars with this gun and it really lays on the paint nice, I bought it about 6 years ago and I think I paid 80 bucks for it. A regular compressor will do the job, it uses very little air.

Roger
Old 05-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #9

Ok, so a 4 Gallon Dewalt (Emglo) would do the job?

Sorry for asking these detailed questions but I am sure there are others who will love this knowledge =)
Old 05-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Ok, so a 4 Gallon Dewalt (Emglo) would do the job?

Sorry for asking these detailed questions but I am sure there are others who will love this knowledge =)

I used 1 gallon but I could have used another 2 quarts, I imagine that another product will cover roghly the same area. If you are going to shoot the roof as well, then I'd say you'll need 6 quarts, that should give you a tack coat, and 2 heavier coats to finish. The consistency of the Duplicolor clear coat is like water. It sprayed out pretty quick, it may be that a different clear that's a little thicker will cover faster with less product.

Roger
Old 06-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
nice results. got me thinking now!
the exterior on mine is a planned 2009 project.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #12

Quote:
nice results. got me thinking now!
the exterior on mine is a planned 2009 project.
Hey Scott, saw your upholstrey, looks nice! This was an easy job, don't wait!

Roger
Old 06-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
My parents' neighbors had a Trillium through the seventies and eighties... I think this outshines the original.... Beautiful job.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
Roger,

I see great minds think alike. I did my Boler 17' with the Duplicolor Paint Shop Pro as well. I didn't like the colonial white and since the shell need painting after all of the spider crack repairs, I shot the whole thing in white and then cleared it. It is more expensive than mixing your own but the hassel free conveninece was worth it. It does go on very well.

You can see the shell in my other thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...&pid=269654

Rob
Rob S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium