79 Trillium Juiblee rebulid - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #1

Name: Basil
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
79 Trillium Juiblee rebulid

Have owned this little jem for 19 years. It was in decent shape when I got her, but had some water damage from a tv antenna installed over the sink and damage to the door side cabinets, probably from heavy snow. Two decades, many, many camping trips with a family of 5, more heavy snow and a major car accident later, she was in sad shape. The frame, fiberglass and windows were in great shape but the wood interior was done, the floor rotted out and the appliances no longer worked. For her 40th she gets a compete rebuild. The interior has been completely gutted and all that holds the windows on are the screws at the top in the fiberglass. I removed the frame, took off the surface rust and re-coated with Por15 and a rubberized asphalt coating. (see photo 1) The original electric brakes were a rusty mess I haven't used them, but the 10" hubs are fine and the races look great. The bearings still look immaculate even though they have never been changed. The spindles are great as well, except for one little spot on one seal diameter that has a couple little pits that didn't clean up 100% in the original machining. One question I have not been able to answer yet, is what was the original angle of the torsion bar suspension. I last towed it two years ago, and it still towed like day 1. The angle now sits at 12 degrees clockwise past horizontal.(see photo 2) There is not a lot of travel when the trailer is raised, maybe just over an 1". According to what I can find, the original angle was likely 10 deg and sag of another 10 deg is acceptable. Does anyone know if this is correct or another definitive way to make a call on the torsion bar? I plan on finishing the rebuild as is, the axle can be swapped out later if needed. The frame is now back on, compiling a cut list for the wood, and preparing to remove the windows. The layout of the trailer will be much different. A header with vertical supports as well as some other internal skeleton parts to give the roof and sides structural integrity. The main section of the floor will be a full 1" thick edge-sealed marine plywood and the depressions in the floor will be filled with closed cell foam. The bed will be permanent, and under the bed will be a 48" pull out drawer and table. A single seat over the door side wheel wheel, a double on the other side, some counter and cupboard space up front, as well as a Cozy Cabin Marine Heater to replace the furnace. There will be no inside fridge, instead a front mounted box for a portable 3-way freezer. No provisions for hook-ups (120V, city water), but a battery, 12V led lighting and minimal plumbing.
Attached Thumbnails
37112109_10214486152606071_231136126050500608_o.jpg   37200298_10214500500724765_4516177756924411904_o.jpg  

Basil M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #2

British Columbia
Stage two of the project complete. New floor in, 1" marine plywood installed like a boat deck. The cavities in the tub were filled with molding foam, glassed over, plywood laminated to the shell, filleted to the walls, glassed over and coated with box liner. It was a steep learning curve for me with fiberglass, but with a little help from my friends, it turned out awesome. Should be one solid waterproof subfloor that will last my life time.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180807_172454.jpg   IMG_20180807_172444.jpg  

IMG_20180807_172411.jpg  
Old 09-19-2020, 08:18 PM   #3

British Columbia
This project was on the back burner for the last two years. Quite a bit of progress In the last few weeks. A ton of work left to be done. New door, the old one was swollen and rotten beyond repair. The main framing is done, bed and table in, spray foamed. Mattress test fit, a bit of a struggle to get in an out but worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200919_190033.jpg   IMG_20200919_185935.jpg  

IMG_20200919_185855.jpg   IMG_20200919_185435.jpg  

Tags
trillium