86' Fiberstream- removing the bathroom? THOUGHTS? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
86' Fiberstream- removing the bathroom? THOUGHTS?

I just traveled from Pennsylvania to Oregon to get my 86' fiberstream- the owner was kind enough to hold it for me for 5 months!
Right now, I am just in the midst of brainstorming what I want to do with it. It is completely original on the inside. There are opinions to leave it as so- but I'd rather have the bells and whistles so I can be comfortable with great interior not sore on the eyes. My husband suggested we remove the bathroom all together; that its a pain in the but to hook up, empty, etc. He can't even fit in the shower. I suggested a porta-potty tucked underneath a seating area. Any thoughts on this?
I hope to make it to the Egg get together at KOA Delaware Water Gap. Hopefully I can make it the one night.
Let me know your thoughts, I would appreciate it.
Cyndi
Attached Thumbnails
trailer in redwoods.jpg  
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Hi Cyndi,

Here's a link to a great discussion on here about bathrooms (worth the space?)
It has lots of opinions and may help to point you in the direction best for you.

Personally---I like NOT having one----

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ace-44087.html
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
And personally I LIKE having one. See two different post and two different opinions.... just like belly buttons.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Many of us on this forum have moved up from a 13' to a larger trailer to simply to get bathrooms. I am one of those.

If you are redoing it to have the bells and whistles, it sounds like you might be one of those who would appreciate a bathroom too. We rarely shower in ours, but occasionally it is nice to have. We take our trailer to Pine Ridge with college kids where we volunteer. It is nice to shower in our trailer, not with the college kids. Sometimes the showers at some campgrounds simply are gross, so it is nice then to have the shower.

My husband does not fit in our shower either. The shower has a hand-held spray nozzle, so he just sits to use the shower when he uses it.

Maybe before you start removing things, you should keep it a few months as is and give it more of a test run.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:35 AM   #5

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Our Casita has the front bath. The room is a great place for storage and privacy. The Porta-Potty sits in the shower floor, and can be used there with the door closed,

For resale value, the bath is probably a good idea. We plan to continue using ours for storage and may even build shelves over the fixed toilet, as we prefer dealing with a Porta-Potty vs black water tank. Actually I was going to remove the fixed toilet for more storage room. But the blond said, "Don't even think about it"! ........ So I quit thinking about it!

If we should desire to take a shower in the camper, we can remove the P-P, and put it back when the shower is done.

Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
I do like the sound of your set-up, Kip! A private little room with a porta potty--now THAT I could go for!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
On our 16' Scamp the front bath area is just a huge closet with a porta-potty. Am adding shelving, but the pp will still be able to be used with the door closed. We like not having the space, weight, expense and maintenance of a toilet, black water tank and water heater. Also don't care for the "military shower" aspect of camper showers, but then we usually stay in state campgrounds and those bathrooms are usually really nice, spacious and clean. (Although we still shower wearing flip-flops.) But that's us -- to each his own!
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:41 AM   #8

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
I do like the sound of your set-up, Kip! A private little room with a porta potty--now THAT I could go for!!!
Vickie,

I agree.

Even though Ann and I have been married for 45 years, it is still nice to have a bit of privacy at times.

Also an exhaust fan in the "Private" room is nice to have for those "special" occasions!

I've seen some floorplans where the bathroom door left an opening above and/or below it a couple of inches and the fantastic fan was installed in the roof of the bath.

Made sense, as even with that door closed the fan could still pull air through the camper and not be as noisy as when mounted in the living area of the roof.

I've thought about installing a closable vent somewhere toward the back of the camper that when open would allow the FF to pull air through without having to crack open a window. I really like security when gone or asleep. As it is now, we can open the vent above the little fan in the bath and let the FF pull air through there, but it would be better if air could be pull from the back also!

Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Our "bathroom," I ought to mention is a closet with a sink, hand-held shower, and a portapotty.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberstream