86 Scamp interior almost complete - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #21

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Hi Larry, I like your setup for the A/C the fridge vent is a nice finished look. One thing I can not see is a return air supply for the outside a/c coil from the outside or does it just draw from the inside. Would not that cause a negative pressure in the trailer because usually you have all the windows closed when using the A/C

Ken
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It draws the intake air from the pvc pipes that are vented all the way through the floor from the underside of the camper, the hot air blows out the back through the refrigerator vent (in the last picture it's hard to see the vent holes in the outside vent from the inside view) where it is sealed off from the intake air coming from below the camper. When the cabinet front is sealed off with trim there should be no inside air being used at all, it doesn't cause any problem now with all the windows shut, the pvc vents really are providing a lot of outside air and it is pretty cool air because it is shady under the camper and the intake is not close to the exhaust. I hope I explained it OK, holler back if not. Thanks!
casey67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #23

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
I see said the blind man as he pickup his hammer and saw

Thanks Larry, from the angle in the picture I could not see a hole in the pipe , but with looking a little closer the light came on Once I get cabinet made,then I will play with my A/C . But with Mike's and your pics should make it easier.

Thanks Ken
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #24

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken h View Post
Thanks Larry, from the angle in the picture I could not see a hole in the pipe , but with looking a little closer the light came on Once I get cabinet made,then I will play with my A/C . But with Mike's and your pics should make it easier.

Thanks Ken
Ken

The more I think about Larry's engineering, the more appeal it has to me. First and foremost, it consumes a lot less space than my system. With the intakes directly under the unit, it does make it more compact. Drawing the cooler, shaded air is also a bonus. The only variation that I might make is to get the unit as far off the floor as I could and run the intake pipes along both sides, just like he did. Since hot air rises and cold air drops, having the unit closer to the ceiling will cool better. Either way, it'll still be better than no a/c at all.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
There are a couple advantages to having the AC unit near floor level.

It keeps the AC unit low, keeping the center of gravity low.

The AC weighs about 32 pounds and the floor supports it easily, making it not necessary to add any significant AC support

You don't waste any closet space running pipes up from the floor or the water drain down.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #26

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
There are a couple advantages to having the AC unit near floor level.

It keeps the AC unit low, keeping the center of gravity low.

The AC weighs about 32 pounds and the floor supports it easily, making it not necessary to add any significant AC support

You don't waste any closet space running pipes up from the floor or the water drain down.
And the downside is cool air sinks. You're liable to have cold ankles and a hot head Maybe a fan to push the cold air higher would be in order...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
And the downside is cool air sinks. You're liable to have cold ankles and a hot head Maybe a fan to push the cold air higher would be in order...
It helps a little just to open the roof vent and let the rising hot air out.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp