a blank slate - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #1

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
a blank slate

I brought this home last October. I just about have it stripped out. What goes back in is the Sea Land toilet (sitting on its own waste tank) and the roof top A/C, and I think that is probably all.

My thanks to everyone on this site who has posted pics & text from their rebuilds and restorations. They have been like a technical tutorial and are my inspiration for this project.

The next phase is tabbing the interior, filling rivet holes and unneeded cutouts, and then painting the exterior. I'll post pics when I get that done.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0212.jpg   IMG_0214.jpg  

IMG_0215.jpg   IMG_0223.jpg  

Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oooh, this should be a fun build to follow
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Does "tabbing the interior" mean you plan to reinstall the original scamp furniture only tabbed in instead of riveted or do you have something else in mind? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #4

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Wow, blank slate is right. I can't wait to see what you do with it.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I would plan on a 5' wide bed in back 1st.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #6

North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
I would plan on a 5' wide bed in back 1st.
Janna has specified a bed no smaller than 58" wide. I'm leaning toward a fixed bed (instead of one that converts to a dinette), though I'm still puzzling over how to make the best use of the space below the bed if we go that route.

Raz, I'm planning on wood cupboards, probably from spruce faced plywood.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A 58+" bed in a 13 ft trailer. All us 13 ft owners are envious. I am sure you are aware that the "furniture" is structural in keeping the roof up and, the sides stiff. Lil Snoozy seems to achieve the same using an arch. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Please keep us updated and remember, we do like pictures. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I second the 58" wide bed. It made our kitchen smaller, but sleeping much better. By having a wider bed we can put pillows under our back to read, or take a nap without constantly bumping into each other.

Looking forward to what you do.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #9

North Carolina
Registry
Progress has been slow - despite the many hours I've logged on this project. Of course, a lot of that time was spent just looking & thinking (some might say daydreaming).

Anyway, after deciding that the roof needed some additional help for supporting the factory original A/C I built up a mildly engineered support from 3/8" plywood and poplar.

I plan to insulate the walls with 3/8" closed cell foam, so it will butt up flush with the ply. The thing is glued in place with PL Premium polyurethane glue (I took my cue from Kevin61 's Boler rebuild videos - thanks Kevin). I also used four stainless steel screws with fender washers placed through the roof and mounted with threaded inserts in the plywood. I plan to brush a coat of epoxy over the screw heads on the exterior of the roof as an added precaution against leaks.

I'm pleased by how much rigidity it adds to the roof. But of course, the real test will take place when I start towing the finished product down the road with that AC mounted up there. Maybe I'll add a little glass cloth to the contraption. Any thoughts on this?

The first pic also shows the front window I'm glassing over. I've been alternating between exterior & interior work. The most time consuming exterior job thus far was removal of silicone caulk from the belly band - what a chore!
Attached Thumbnails
AC support2.jpg   AC support.jpg  

Old 04-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #10

North Carolina
Registry
Another progress report:
Pic 1 shows the bead of epoxy I brushed onto the belly band. You can see how I tried to flood the gap where the silicone used to be.

Pic 2 shows the Bondo body filler I used to fill a nearly 1/4" gap between the floor panels. This - like nearly every other ham-fisted bit of body work I've done - will require some sanding.

Pic 3 is another sanding job waiting for me where I glassed over the fridge vents. I used epoxy thickened with a West System powder additive for this job. I avoided taking a close-up pic; I don't want anyone to know how rough it looks. Think 'cake frosting'.

Pic 4 shows what the Scamp front end looks like without a window.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0332.jpg   IMG_0335.jpg  

IMG_0334.jpg   front end view.jpg  

Old 04-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #11

North Carolina
Registry
For a paint scheme we're thinking a red bottom, cream top and maybe a gloss black belly band and door visor.

Comments welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
two tone red-gray scamp color.png  
Old 04-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
You know I LOVE those colors (see Bean!)
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Yes I think those colors will look great.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
That will look really nice! Just remember because the belly band is aluminum, it will require a different kind of primer than the gel coat to get the paint to stick.

This information comes to you from a former Healey owner...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #15

North Carolina
Registry
Donna, I'm thinking that I'll use a 'self etching' primer from the auto parts store on the belly band, and probably a top coat paint from the same manufacturer to assure compatibility.

I'm looking at Epifanes Monourethane for the gel coat with probably Interlux Prekote for the primer.I'm hoping that all this will make for a durable finish.

Raz asked awhile back about my plans for the interior. I've finally decided not to install the original cabinetry and instead replace it with wood - poplar & birch. The exception is the closet adjacent to the entry door - though I'll dress it out in wood so it blends in with the rest. (I'll eventually post the original fiberglass cabinets in the classifieds as 'free to a good home'.)

I appreciate everyone's input.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #16

North Carolina
Registry
Another small step forward

We decided we like the Fantastic Vent fan in our current trailer so much that the Scamp will need one as well. So, I cut a hole in the roof and epoxied in place a wooden frame to screw the vent flange into (another idea borrowed from Kevin). Next step is to coat the frame with epoxy.

Here are the gory pics. With the clamps in place it looked to me like some sort of robo-insect has taken up residence in the shell.

I've also included a shot showing how I puddled thickened epoxy over the four screws I placed through the roof when I mounted the A/C support. I'll try to shape them up a bit with some sandind, though they should wind up pretty much hidden beneath the A/C shroud.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0336.jpg   IMG_0337.jpg  

IMG_0338.jpg  
Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
SMEV makes a nice sink/stove combo which is less than 32" wide, it can allow for the wider bed when replacing the kitchen.
Here are a couple of pics of "Shelly", a 13 Scamp which was bought with most of the furniture missing. It was not taken to the level to which you are headed but it may give you a couple of ideas....
Attached Thumbnails
May 2009 020.jpg   May 2009 022.jpg  

May 2009 018.jpg   May 2009 023.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #18

North Carolina
Registry
Floyd, I love how you did your counter top - very sharp. I also like the combo sink & stove. At this point I'm thinking about leaving the stove out and opting for an outdoor kitchen. As it turns out, I saw a pic of your interior back when I was researching how to lay out a larger bed. I borrowed your idea for cutting out a section of the side closet to accommodate the bed (thanks!).

As far as 'the level' I'm aiming for, I learned from my last trailer project that the concept is the easy part, it's the execution that's hard (at least for a 'learn as you go along' amateur). We'll see. I've already made some mistakes, but am still having fun.

Thanks for your ideas!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #19

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Wow! Nice work. Good for you : )
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #20

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
Your work is looking good. If you were wondering about Red/white color combo ... I'd say it looks good:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post302849

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote