A Blank Slate - Redux - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #1

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
A Blank Slate - Redux

It's now been nearly two years since I launched our Scamp 13 redo and posted pics of my early progress. So I've started a new thread for this update. The original is at
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ate-50069.html

Apart from the wooden cabinetry, which is framed with poplar and paneled with birch plywood and 3Form resin panels, my approach focused on strengthening the shell by glassing everything in place and reinforcing the roof with additional plywood and 'beams'. I insulated it with 5/8" closed cell foam which I found locally. The foam is covered with vinyl. For whatever reason the vinyl over foam has been problematic - I have had to re-glue several pieces. (I used marine vinyl and both 3M spray adhesive and DAP brush on contact cement- this may be part of the problem.)

The bathroom is very small - the door stays open while it is in use and is positioned so as to provide privacy; one pic shows this. The vessel sink is epoxied in place.

Notice that we do not have any indoor cooking appliances. We do all of our cooking outdoors in a 'camping kitchen'. I'll take some pics of it and post them when we take our next trip, which should be Edisto Beach State Park in October.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0641.jpg   IMG_0642.jpg  

IMG_0643.jpg   IMG_0644.jpg  

IMG_0646.jpg   IMG_0647.jpg  

IMG_0649.jpg   IMG_0652.jpg  

IMG_0653.jpg   IMG_0650.jpg  

Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #2

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Nice work
Darrell
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Wowser! That's very, very nice
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #4

Name: Brian
Trailer: 13 foot 1992 SCAMP
Arizona
Wow! Awesome!
GROVER 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:14 AM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: Scamp
California
Wow, that is stunning! Nice work!
GrregP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:46 AM   #6

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
In one word... Gorgeous.

Love the round porthole window by the way.

I'm cooking outside too so I am looking forward to pictures of your solution for that. I'm confident it is elegant and I will be copy-catting some of it!!!
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Nice work. 'One of these Scamps is not like the others....'
Old 11-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Lovely work.

I do have the answer to your issue....quote from your posting is in italics
"The foam is covered with vinyl. For whatever reason the vinyl over foam has been problematic - I have had to re-glue several pieces. (I used marine vinyl and both 3M spray adhesive and DAP brush on contact cement- this may be part of the problem.)"

This issue was caused by using standard marine vinyl, the kind you find in fabric stores. The issue was not the adhesive, it was the material itself. That material is for upholstery work where it is secured by sewing or by fasteners such as staples. It is not a product that will stay secured with adhesives. No fault of yours other than not knowing in advance that that this particular material is not adhesive friendly. I made the same error but fortunately on only a small area. Then when it came down I went to a local upholstery shop that specializes in boats and they taught me that all vinyls are not suitable for installation with adhesives and that includes the widely available "marine vinyl".

There are vinyls that can be glued using contact cement which is a good choice as that old stand by yellow contact cement that comes in a can is heat resistant. But those vinyls are not available in your local fabric stores. They need to be special ordered from upholstery sources that cater to automotive or marine suppliers. But remember not all "marine" vinyl can be glued so you have to specify to the sales clerks that you need a special vinyl for that purpose. The adhesive friendly vinyls have a layer of somewhat fuzzy fabric on the reverse side. That layer is what makes them work with the adhesives, that textured fabric layer grips into the adhesives.

This is the link to a supplier who ships nationwide. http://www.miamicorp.com/ That is where I got my vinyl from. They are a reliable and friendly company to deal with. Before you click to buy on the internet do call them on the phone and talk to them about your choice of what you have seen on their website to double check if it is the right product for your specific application. That is worth taking the time to do as you don't want to waste time and money on something you think might work versus something that has been verified to work.

It cost considerably less to order it from online sources than ordering from a middle man upholstery shop. However you can look through the fabric sample books at those shops to help you narrow your choices. You can also request samples from the online sources. There is typically a fee for that sample plus the cost of shipping.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
very nice

steve that is a very very very very nice looking setup!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #10

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
K.C. Thank you for your post expalining the marine vinyl issue. It validates what I had come to suspect. I wound up replacing nearly all of the vinyl I originally applied. Live & learn! Steve
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote