A/c - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #1

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
A/c

I have a 13' Scamp w/o A/C. I called Eveland and asked if my Scamp had been manufactured with a reinforced roof. No such luck. They did send me directions to install a unit like they used to do in the older Scamps. So now I am thinking of having a unit installed in the closet next to the dinette. Has anyone here had an aftermarket A/C unit installed? Did you put it in the upper or lower portion of the closet? How many BTU's do you have? Does it cool satifactorily? I'm thinking of taking it to a boat repair place since they work with fiberglass. Or should I take it to an RV place?
Thanks for all info.
Alice

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #2

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Have been looking at this one maybe?
Split system air-conditioners for RVs, caravans, motorhomes
Heron 2.2 Split System Air Conditioner
side wall mount under cabinet or seat trailer unit
or
use cooler with small trans rad, 12v fan and 12v water pump to make my own ice unit; sealed cooler and water running through rad would not add the moisture of a swampy: with filter could even use cool northern spring or stream for water?

Just reading at this time for ideas
Old 04-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Or Alice, put it in a window. That way you only have to take it when you want to use it. Otherwise leave the extra weight at home.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
I have a 13' Scamp w/o A/C.... So now I am thinking of having a unit installed ....Did you put it in the upper or lower portion of the closet?
Alice
Alice - We have an aftermarket A/C unit installed in our 13' scamp - under the closet. It was installed by previous owners. The installation is so clean it makes me think that it was done by Scamp, but the grill on the outside of the scamp doesn't match other of the scamp grills - so maybe not. I can't tell you the BTU's of the unit (we're camping this weekend and might figure it out) -- but it's an Aspenaire brand (I'd never heard of it). The unit is small and fits exactly in the space under the closet. It does an excellent job of keeping us cold in Georgia summer heat. Without it, I don't think I'd do much summer camping here.
If I were you, I'd probably lean towards taking it to an RV place, just because they should better know how to wire the electricity. If you have a good boat repair place, I'd certain run the idea by them to see what they say about doing the work.
This photo ( https://picasaweb.google.com/sherylm...51545065815954 ) shows the side of the scamp where the exhaust from the A/C - grill area is -- just to the right of the P on the SCAMP logo.
This photo ( https://picasaweb.google.com/sherylm...99537406018994 ) shows the grill area up close
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #5

Name: Doug
Trailer: currently without
Wisconsin
Do you happen to have a picture of the inside installation? Just curious as to how it looks. Thanks!
pudgepuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Here's mine.

https://picasaweb.google.com/brysthe...eat=directlink

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #7

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Sheryl M: That is what I am going for, in the closet with a clean look. I bought a Fridgadaire 5000 BTU from Lowe's today. The unit measurements will fit in the closet. I asked a local RV dealer if he could install it. He said he'd have to look at the electrical wiring set up and let me know. If he can't do it, then I'll take the unit back to Lowes.

Donna D: The reason I don't want to put it in the window is that I don't want to fool around with something else while I'm setting the Scamp up. I want to park, quickly set up, then go do things. The Scamp is suppose to be my cheap motel room for sleeping, storing food, and a place to shower, so I can travel. The bed stays down permanently because I don't need the dinette. When Scamp becomes work, and I have to miss out on fun because of it, it gets sold.

Borden: I've never heard of the cooler and neither has the RV dealer. Nice thought though.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Alice

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
It's not hard to run a new wire over to the closet, you can do it yourself and save a lot of money.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:13 AM   #9

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Here's a picture of ours-- we are camping this weekend so pardon the phone picture.
Attached Thumbnails
image-2635049991.jpg  
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:55 AM   #10

Trailer: Coleman Pop-up
a/c in scamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
I have a 13' Scamp w/o A/C. I called Eveland and asked if my Scamp had been manufactured with a reinforced roof. No such luck. They did send me directions to install a unit like they used to do in the older Scamps. So now I am thinking of having a unit installed in the closet next to the dinette. Has anyone here had an aftermarket A/C unit installed? Did you put it in the upper or lower portion of the closet? How many BTU's do you have? Does it cool satifactorily? I'm thinking of taking it to a boat repair place since they work with fiberglass. Or should I take it to an RV place?
Thanks for all info.
Alice
in my 13' scamp i tried the a/c contained withn bottom of closet with channels for incoming air as well as exhaust. did not work well. not enough space to do the job right. i decided to duplicate what the home 5,000 btu a/c was designed for, which was the division of inside and outside. for travel it is contained in closet but when i need it i simply slide the unit back on its tracks with stops after removing grill and slide in divider i fabricated on the front of the unit to separate the in air and cool out air. takes all of maybe 2 minutes to set up and it cools my scamp to the degree i have to turn it down. i figured there was no sense trying to outsmart this old reliable a/c design and just let it breath like it is designed to do.
John H. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #11

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Here is a link to my window installation.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...3-a-45934.html
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. J View Post
in my 13' scamp i tried the a/c contained within bottom of closet with channels for incoming air as well as exhaust. did not work well. not enough space to do the job right. i decided to duplicate what the home 5,000 btu a/c was designed for, which was the division of inside and outside. for travel it is contained in closet but when i need it i simply slide the unit back on its tracks with stops after removing grill and slide in divider i fabricated on the front of the unit to separate the in air and cool out air. takes all of maybe 2 minutes to set up and it cools my scamp to the degree i have to turn it down. i figured there was no sense trying to outsmart this old reliable a/c design and just let it breath like it is designed to do.
John I'd love to see how your unit looks in the various positions. Do you have any pictures?

We are just in the planning stages of putting an AC in the closet of our Scamp 13 now.

Julie
Julie T. is offline   Reply With Quote