A/C Mod on a new Casita - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-23-2021, 06:40 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
NC
A/C Mod on a new Casita

I just picked up a 2021 Casita and if you haven't heard, they are having supply chain issues with the A/Cs. I got a Mach 3+ but instead of my thermostat controlling the temperature, I have the knobs in the ceiling. Since I also have a furnace, I have a fully functional thermostat that could control the heat strip in addition to the gas furnace. I've been reading through the instructions for this A/C Mode that Greg Zimmerman put together here: A/C Mod (thermostat for the A/C) – The Handy Camper

Has anyone done the mod on a newer Casita?

These instructions were for using a home thermostat vs the RV thermostat that I have. It mentions adding a switch for the furnace, but given I have a newer thermostat that supports a gas furnace and heat strip, I feel like I shouldn't need that added switch. I have a good understanding of electronics but haven't ever done anything with A/C units or thermostats.

So my thermostat is the Airxcel 9630A337 which seems to have the following wiring:

Red +12 VDC
Blue -12 VDC
Gray Fan Lo
Green Fan Hi
Yellow Compressor
Wht/Blk Heat Pump
White Furnace

So the original instructions talk about adding a jumper between White and Yellow, but since White runs my furnace, I am thinking I should jumper between Yellow and White/Black. And then connect either of the Yellow or White/Black terminals to the 12 VDC pole of the relay (since I don't have a Rh or Rc). Does anyone know if this seem correct?

If I understand this correctly, that will enable me to set the thermostat to cool, set the knobs to hi/low cool and the thermostat will cut power to the A/C when the set temperature is reached. Then if I set the thermostat to heat strip, I set the knobs to heat and the thermostat will cut power to the a/c (heat strip) when the set temperature is reached. Then if I set the thermostat to gas furnace, it will function just like it does currently from the factory.

Any thoughts from those that know more about this than I do? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
222712034_10161687575748312_7438675555201899984_n.jpg   223949933_10161687575883312_5815585129379824851_n.jpg  

Shocksll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:22 PM   #2

NC
Fyi, I was able to get this worked out better than expected. Here’s a video of what I ended up doing: https://youtu.be/0dBaBN1fkoU
Old 08-14-2021, 07:04 AM   #3

Name: Tash
Trailer: Currently Shopping for fiberglasses
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocksll View Post
Fyi, I was able to get this worked out better than expected. Here’s a video of what I ended up doing: https://youtu.be/0dBaBN1fkoU
Thanks for sharing the video! I'm getting close to ordering a 2022 Casita - maybe (hopefully?) some of these supply chain issues will have settled out by the time I end up getting mine.
TashH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:31 AM   #4

Name: Joel
Trailer: shopping
Tx
Quote:
I just picked up a 2021 Casita and if you haven't heard, they are having supply chain issues with the A/Cs. I got a Mach 3+ but instead of my thermostat controlling the temperature, I have the knobs in the ceiling. Since I also have a furnace, I have a fully functional thermostat that could control the heat strip in addition to the gas furnace. I've been reading through the instructions for this A/C Mode that Greg Zimmerman put together here: A/C Mod (thermostat for the A/C) – The Handy Camper

Has anyone done the mod on a newer Casita?

These instructions were for using a home thermostat vs the RV thermostat that I have. It mentions adding a switch for the furnace, but given I have a newer thermostat that supports a gas furnace and heat strip, I feel like I shouldn't need that added switch. I have a good understanding of electronics but haven't ever done anything with A/C units or thermostats.

So my thermostat is the Airxcel 9630A337 which seems to have the following wiring:

Red +12 VDC
Blue -12 VDC
Gray Fan Lo
Green Fan Hi
Yellow Compressor
Wht/Blk Heat Pump
White Furnace

So the original instructions talk about adding a jumper between White and Yellow, but since White runs my furnace, I am thinking I should jumper between Yellow and White/Black. And then connect either of the Yellow or White/Black terminals to the 12 VDC pole of the relay (since I don't have a Rh or Rc). Does anyone know if this seem correct?

If I understand this correctly, that will enable me to set the thermostat to cool, set the knobs to hi/low cool and the thermostat will cut power to the A/C when the set temperature is reached. Then if I set the thermostat to heat strip, I set the knobs to heat and the thermostat will cut power to the a/c (heat strip) when the set temperature is reached. Then if I set the thermostat to gas furnace, it will function just like it does currently from the factory.

Any thoughts from those that know more about this than I do? Thanks!
We are supposed to pick ours up in Feb of next year. I hope they have this issue figured out as this could be a no go for us.
jeepers29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 01:23 PM   #5

NC
Yes, hopefully both of you won't have to deal with that by next year. Who knows though.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I did this A/C T-stat mod many years ago, (2008,) to my Coleman Mach Polar Cub A/C unit. I also included a toggle switch next to the T-stat to revert the T-stat to control heating as opposed to just A/C. I can control my A/C from the T-stat, or I can switch it over for heating control. I can further select whether I want to use it for temperature control using just the propane furnace, or the electric heating element inside the A/C unit, or both simultaneously.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 01:51 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Remote control for AC

My remote control for the Casita AC: 3' long wood dowel 3/8" dia. I" sqiare wood block with a 1/4" wide by 3/8" deep slot on top, 3/8" hole 3/8" deep in bottom.

Force the dowel into the hole along with wood glue. Reach up with it and turn thermostat. Stores neatly on top of seat cushion next to bed.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 02:31 PM   #8

Name: E. Jane
Trailer: Trillium 1980 1300 Deluxe
Massachusetts
old school works.
jbclabaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:26 AM   #9

Name: chris
Texas
Interesting, we just took delivery of a 2021 Casita Liberty Deluxe and got the Mach 3 Plus A/C with black interior shroud and it is wired into the single thermostat that controls the furnace also. Or at least I think it controls the furnace, haven't tested that yet :P
christsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:17 PM   #10

Name: Pat
Trailer: Scamp 19
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Yes, hopefully both of you won't have to deal with that by next year. Who knows though.
We are already in the new norm, only to get worse!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita