A/C on a Sportsman 1000 watt generator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2020, 03:47 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
A/C on a Sportsman 1000 watt generator

If you have a 5000 btu a/c in your fiberglass travel trailer there is a good chance you can run it on a small Sportsman 1000 generator. It is very very quiet (56dB with no load at 23 ft.) and extremely light weight (24 lbs) and I find it a great alternative to the heavier and larger Honda and Harbor freight lines. This generator sells for $199 new at Walmart and close to that price at other retailers. I found mine used in like new condition for $162 with tax.

Specs:
• 1000 peak surge watts / 800 rated running watts
• 24 lbs Lightweight and portable, easily grab and go for a convenient power source
• Sine wave gives clean, stable voltage, and reliable power, safely charge phone, tablets, and other electronics
• Powers sensitive electronics with stable and constant voltage
• Run time 6.3 hours at 50% load with a full fuel tank
• One 120V AC outlet, one 12 Volt DC outlet
• 1.3 HP, 5,500 RPM, 40cc, 4 stroke, air-cooled, recoil start
• Economy switch saves fuel reduces noise by controlling engine speed
• Decibel rating: less than 56dB with no load at 23 ft.
• Runs on unleaded gasoline, 0.55 gallon fuel tank
• Low oil shutdown with indicator light, engine shut off switch, economy switch, overload indicator light, SAE 10W30, 7.5 oz. oil capacity
• Comes with a DC connector wires for charging 12 Volt automotive-type batteries and spark plug wrench
Generator is not recommended for high altitude use above 3,000 ft.
• EPA Approved
• Not CARB approved, Not for sale in California
• Watts on various appliance and devices can greatly vary. It is best to check the wattage of the device you would like to power to make sure it is below the running wattage of the generator

I tested it out yesterday before I bought it and the generator will start both the fan and compressor at the same time in Low Cool and Medium Cool modes with no overload. It did shut down when I tried to turn both the compressor and fan on at the same time using High Cool but there is a work around. Turn the thermostat up so that the compressor does not kick on and turn the a/c to High Cool and let just the fan come on, then after the fan is running then you can turn the dial on the thermostat down so the compressor kick on. This method lowers the surge watts substantially so that it does not overload the generator. Once it is running the fan stays on even if the compressor cycles off so when it cycles back on it doesn't overload the generator.

I will run only the a/c by itself and directly to the generator (not through our converter). It works great for cooling our 13' Boler in the summer heat while boondocking. As a plus I can disconnect the a/c and use the generator to power the converter charger to top off our 2 Trojan T-105 batteries that power our 12v systems (led lights, vent fan, phone charger, water pump) should our batteries get low on a trip.

For the price I paid you can't beat it. While I don't plan on running it all day or at night I feel confident I can run it long enough to cool down the trailer during the heat of the day and before bed at night. I couldn't spend that much for solar and can't even add enough solar on my 13' to power the a/c. I do plan to add solar at some point in time to keep the batteries charged up but having this little generator is quite nice. (Note: It will NOT power a roof top a/c as those draw too much wattage).

I am considering adding a soft start device to my 5000 btu a/c which I believe will allow me to start both the fan and compressor at the same time on High Cool setting.
Attached Thumbnails
sportsman 1000 gen.jpeg  
Old 08-12-2020, 04:23 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Good information nicely presented!
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:18 PM   #3

Trailer: Looking
Georgia
Generator

Nice discovery! Do you know if it's possible to parallel two of these generators?
Jack7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:05 AM   #4

Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack7 View Post
Nice discovery! Do you know if it's possible to parallel two of these generators?
The tan model that i have does not have the port for it, however the green models do.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:07 AM   #5

Deep South
But Sportsman does have a larger model comparable to the Honda 2000 which might be a better option than running 2 in parallel

Tags
generator