A couple of small wooden mods - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
A couple of small wooden mods

With Christmas toy making over I turned my attention to Scamp wooden modifications today. The first is a small hanging shelf over the rear dinette bench seat to hold eye glasses, other glasses, flashlights and idevices. I had previously added a two port Blue Sea USB charging port underneath the cabinet above.

Next I made a frame to hold a glass mirror. I used Black Walnut to contrast with the Scamp's Red Oak woodwork on the front bath door. It's like magic, the Scamp feels twice as big.

Small mods haven't really cured my hitch-itch, but it helps a bit. Now on to the other few dozen mods on my list.

Best 2015 to all, john
Attached Thumbnails
scamp mods 1.jpg   scamp mods 2.jpg  

John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:32 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Looks good John.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #3

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
Very attractive additions.

Any chance you would share how you went about fastening the shelf? It is an ingenious approach and something that will be used daily. I'm considering something similar in my Scamp 13.

-Rich
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich G. and Val F. View Post
Very attractive additions.

Any chance you would share how you went about fastening the shelf? It is an ingenious approach and something that will be used daily. I'm considering something similar in my Scamp 13.

-Rich
Rich,

Out of sight, at the top of the one inch diameter Oak dowels is a small half inch thick Oak plate, maybe 2 inches by 3. Each dowel is glued and pinned into a hole in the plate and the plate is fastened to the shelf bottom with 1 inch countersunk drywall screws.

Unfortunately, some shims were needed on one side of the plates to push the shelf against the rat fur.

All this shimming and canting was because I placed the dowel's position too near the rear of the shelf and I could not slide the plates towards the rat fur enough (they were already touching) to make the shelf fit snuggly. Had I moved their position about a half inch forward on the shelf all would have been well. Part of woodworking is covering up your mistakes. Next time I will plan more carefully. All those curves and angles must have confused me.

I first considered full thread rod instead of wood dowels. That would be easier if less elegant. Plus I had the oak and not the rod.

Still the shelf is a success and will be useful. If the DW wants one on her side I will do better having learned from my first effort.

Good luck, john
Old 01-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Nice, gives me some ideas. I just happen to have some "scrap" oak.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
John, have you given any thought to using a threaded insert in the top of the dowel and using a machine bolt (1/4-20 or smaller) threw the shelf bottom. You wouldn't be hampered with the base plate and room then. I only thing I'd be concerned with would be splitting the dowel putting in the insert.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
The mirror looks great! How did you mount it?
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
John, have you given any thought to using a threaded insert in the top of the dowel and using a machine bolt (1/4-20 or smaller) threw the shelf bottom. You wouldn't be hampered with the base plate and room then. I only thing I'd be concerned with would be splitting the dowel putting in the insert.
Dave,

I did not think of that and it would have allowed me to get closer to the wall. On the other hand your concern of splitting the dowel is valid. But since the shelf rests against the rat fur there wouldn't be much lateral force on the dowel and it would probably be OK. The biggest splitting danger would be when inserting the insert. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure my second effort will be much improved. Sometimes group think is a good thing.

John
Old 01-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl M View Post
The mirror looks great! How did you mount it?
Sheryl,

I used 4 countersunk wood screws thru from the bath side of the door. Two on each vertical part of the frame.

John
Old 01-12-2015, 08:19 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
Dave,

I did not think of that and it would have allowed me to get closer to the wall. On the other hand your concern of splitting the dowel is valid. But since the shelf rests against the rat fur there wouldn't be much lateral force on the dowel and it would probably be OK. The biggest splitting danger would be when inserting the insert. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure my second effort will be much improved. Sometimes group think is a good thing.

John
I figured you had it against the rat fur and being it's made for light weight items I don't see a lateral problem. I've had good luck installing inserts that where iffy for splitting by predrilling the hole a bit oversized than what is called for by the insert size. Of course that trick depends on the grip strength needed.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote