A new AC alternative in the near future? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2016, 09:41 PM   #1

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
A new AC alternative in the near future?

There is a fully funded kickstarter project for a new window unit AC that would be an interesting alternative for small trailers. If they are on schedule for the release of the product it will happen sometime in the summer or fall of 2017.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...d?ref=category

What is different about it is that it not very tall, just under 6" and only about 1/3 of the depth, about 5" projects to the outside. 5,000 BTU and 4 amps. Hopefully a good candidate to run on a small generator if they get it set up for a low power start feature. I could see it fitting just under the rear window on the back wall in one of the rear dinette units. Since it blows the cold air upwards it would not freeze you as your sleep. It is remote controlled so you could have a plenum attached to a slot in a dinette table so it could be used with a table in place and still allow the air to be distributed.

k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:21 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
There is a fully funded kickstarter project for a new window unit AC that would be an interesting alternative for small trailers. If they are on schedule for the release of the product it will happen sometime in the summer or fall of 2017.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...d?ref=category

What is different about it is that it not very tall, just under 6" and only about 1/3 of the depth, about 5" projects to the outside. 5,000 BTU and 4 amps. Hopefully a good candidate to run on a small generator if they get it set up for a low power start feature. I could see it fitting just under the rear window on the back wall in one of the rear dinette units. Since it blows the cold air upwards it would not freeze you as your sleep. It is remote controlled so you could have a plenum attached to a slot in a dinette table so it could be used with a table in place and still allow the air to be distributed.
[IMG]https://ksr-

ugc.imgix.net/assets/004/865/200/bf5a07b5492d19823a1516b7455a8d15_original.jpg?w=68 0&fit=max&v=1447015349&auto=format&q=92&[/IMG]

Really nice looking, definitely worth going to the website. The small size would be nice.

We have a 5000 btu unit that draws 5 amps and runs off our Honda 1000 generator, the smallest Honda generator. It's adequate to drop the humidity and temperature to comfortable levels.

We do not locate it in a window but rather the bottom of a closet, venting thru the floor.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I love its size. Too bad these couldn't be flipped their sides, though. With so many FGRVs having sliding windows, it would be perfect and portable. Then I could even bring it in the house to use in my craft room on super hot days when our central air just doesn't get back there too well.
It would be nice not to have rooftop air, too. Maybe gas mileage would improve.
The projected cost seems to be $400. I'd pay that if it could remain portable.
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #4

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth C. View Post
I love its size. Too bad these couldn't be flipped their sides, though. With so many FGRVs having sliding windows, it would be perfect and portable. Then I could even bring it in the house to use in my craft room on super hot days when our central air just doesn't get back there too well.
It would be nice not to have rooftop air, too. Maybe gas mileage would improve.
The projected cost seems to be $400. I'd pay that if it could remain portable.
I suspect its length would not work with most trailer window openings unless it was a sliding window that pretty much spanned the width of the trailer. Lengthwise this kickstarter unit is longer than my 5,000 BTU widow AC. But it will weigh a lot less. Oh well not worth thinking too much about it unless it actually becomes available in the future.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #5

Name: Mark
Trailer: Curently Shopping
Ohio
It bears watching, maybe it will be a good one for the FGRV community.
- It would be >super< if it had a low-current draw start mode and if it could run directly off DC (reducing electrical losses when run from a battery). Such a unit in a small, well insulated space could keep two sleepers cool all night on one Class 27 battery (drawn down to 50%). Off-grid all night cooling without a generator would be nice.
- I have doubts it will be more efficient than today's conventional window units. Heat exchangers work most efficiently with large surface area, single-pass designs, and compact layout of this unit makes that harder to achieve.
- Noise: It will depend largely on their ability to accoustically isolate the compressor from the living space and the choice of a quiet fan design. The former is harder to achieve in the small package they've chosen (but perhaps they can find a way).
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #6

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
It bears watching, maybe it will be a good one for the FGRV community.
- It would be >super< if it had a low-current draw start mode and if it could run directly off DC (reducing electrical losses when run from a battery). Such a unit in a small, well insulated space could keep two sleepers cool all night on one Class 27 battery (drawn down to 50%). Off-grid all night cooling without a generator would be nice.
- I have doubts it will be more efficient than today's conventional window units. Heat exchangers work most efficiently with large surface area, single-pass designs, and compact layout of this unit makes that harder to achieve.
- Noise: It will depend largely on their ability to accoustically isolate the compressor from the living space and the choice of a quiet fan design. The former is harder to achieve in the small package they've chosen (but perhaps they can find a way).
It is very unlikely to be sold as a DC unit suitable for 12v since RV is not the market they are aiming for.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:54 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I would buy one. Looks just what I am looking for.