A Simple Camp Table (really simple) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2007, 08:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Most of the time we are able to find and use picnic tables when we camp but, when it's raining or when the table is in the direct sun, it's nice to get the cooking/eating surface under the awning. This is a real pain with a picnic table! I've tried the regular camp tables and they are not easily stored and have to be removed from the trailer when camping (the standard size of the smaller folding tables is 24 X 48"). With the legs folded it stores flat under the Scamp bed with plenty of room for the camping chairs and (most importantly) the dog bed.

I made a small table that easily stores flat and under the bed in our 99 Scamp for around $20 (assuming you have properly sized plywood scrap and some paint or varnish). Dimensions are 41" X 28" and 3/4" A-C plywood. Legs are replacement banquet table legs from Lowes for $18. The lateral stiffiner is 6' X 3" X 3/4 " hardwood cut to 3' length and fastened to the top with screws and urethane cement. The entire thing is coated with three coats of exterior urethane spar varnish.
Attached Images

John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
very nice!! I have a small one that fold in half.... I dont like to have to walk clear out to the picnic table to cook.. it sure is alot nicer to have it set up right outside the trailer and under the awning...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #3

Quote:
very nice!! I have a small one that fold in half.... I dont like to have to walk clear out to the picnic table to cook.. it sure is alot nicer to have it set up right outside the trailer and under the awning...
We had a small folding table too. It wasn't water resistant and the thing had to be removed from the trailer when we camped. That is what got me going on a custom sized table that was water resistant and would stow nicely in the trailer. This one is actually less expensive than the camp table we had, will support about ten times the weight and doesn't have to be taken out of the camper if we don't need it. It is also easy to construct by folks without a cabinetry shop.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 4500

You built my grooming table!

My husband built one just like it, but with a rubber cover, for me to put my dogs on when I am grooming them. I just showed him this post and right away he said "What an excellant idea! We are bringing ours camping with us."

Nicole M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:

My husband built one just like it, but with a rubber cover, for me to put my dogs on when I am grooming them. I just showed him this post and right away he said "What an excellant idea! We are bringing ours camping with us."

LOL, that's how I built my dogwalk. (Well, the center part, anyway!) Great idea for a grooming table, too, I'll have to check our Lowes for the legs.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #6

Name: janel
Trailer: 77surfside TM 14 & 79 argosy
Alberta

Name:   sm2006_145.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  27.7 KB

my father in law built us this picnic table. it is slightly smaller than standard size, but was cut out of one sheet of plywood and goes together like a jigsaw puzzle. completely dissasembled it takes up very little flat space.

Name:   sm_2006_140.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  28.6 KB

he also built us the campfire grill which also disassembles and stores flat in a burlap sac. so handy as we are self contained wilderness campers. will eventually take better photos of a less desheviled camp, but you get the general idea.
necessity is the mother of all invention.
cheers
janel
janel.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:15 AM   #7

Quote:

I don't know about grooming your dogs while camping

The important thing is the dimensions of the table top vs. the space under the bed. The 16' Scamp has a flat surface of 41" X 28". The cabin rear support bulkhead extends into the front of this space by about 3" so the table won't slide out of the enclosure when braking the Scamp while on the road. It could have been made lighter using 1/2" ply and using nylon lock nuts for the legs.