A Tale of Two CT13's - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2020, 09:14 PM   #141

Name: K
Trailer: UHaul
New Jersey
The shelves are nearly complete. The rods are drilled for the PolyPropylene net attachments, painted (aka Airstream Basecamp) and the nets have their aluminum bars inserted and drilled. I am just waiting on 10-24 Rivnuts and stainless Torx screws. So, hopefully, by the end of the weekend I will have fully functioning shelves.

Going for a look like the Airstream Basecamp...

K Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:52 AM   #142

New Jersey
Ready for installation..

Old 02-29-2020, 06:04 PM   #143

New Jersey
I picked up the mattress and cushions from my guy today. Magic Sleeper Mattress. Here is a shot of the cushions in the configuration they will be in...

Old 02-29-2020, 06:34 PM   #144

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
Really liking the red color.
Nice cushions.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:54 PM   #145

New Jersey
Thanks Dan!

I test fit the cushions today and they fit perfect...

And the requisite head bumper...

Old 03-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #146

New Jersey
I also installed the racks. I ran out of light so I will have to finish the trimming and clean up on another day. But most of the work is done. I will be threading bungee cord in a vertical zig-zag configuration along the front to keep articles from falling off the shelf. But here are a few progress and nearly completed shots...

That is the RivNut tool at work..

Passenger Side

Driver's Side

Old 03-07-2020, 08:35 PM   #147

New Jersey
I wanted to make a plug for the company that made my mattress and cushions. John Santos is the owner of Magic Sleeper Mattress in Pottstown, PA. https://magicsleepermattress.com He was great to deal with and did a great job with everything. Do not hesitate to reach out to him with your needs. And, he now has the template for the mattress for the Uhaul CT13!!!

https://magicsleepermattress.com
Old 03-07-2020, 08:37 PM   #148

New Jersey
I finally was able to complete the Shadyboy Awning installation. The first part, that I posted earlier in this thread, was for the main support grips (topmost bracket in the following photo...looking straight down). They were the brackets that were attached to the back of the ShadyBoy Awning box and gripped the Exo-Skeleton bottom tube. They support all of the weight of the awning. The only problem is the grip on the round tube was not strong enough to resist the torque (moment) from the weight of the cantilevered awning. Remember, there aren't any poles at the outside corners of the awning. So, I finally added the secondary brackets that resist rotation (bottom-most brackets in the photo). All hardware is stainless. Voila!

Old 03-17-2020, 06:42 PM   #149

New Jersey
As I move on with the interior fit-up, I keep looking at Airstream photos to get ideas and try to mimic the look. Two things that interest me are the Tambour doors and the aluminum cabinet corners. Here is a photo of the Airstream tambour doors on the upper storage compartments...

And another random camper with Tambour doors...

And a supplier I found that has doors that look very similar to the Airstream versions...

And, regarding the aluminum corners (to be used at the left and right sides of the kitchen cabinet base with a re-face)...

One more photo of that...

Old 03-17-2020, 06:43 PM   #150

New Jersey
Small update...I test fit the custom mattress the other day and it is a match made in heaven. Absolutely perfect. I have a few more things on the exterior to button up and then it is gangbusters on the interior!
Old 03-17-2020, 07:55 PM   #151

Name: Pete
Trailer: Scamp 13
ID
Looks like your roll away version will take up a good deal more space the the "over the top" style. when it's rolled up will it be reducing the opening? Hard to get an idea of scale.
Nice stuff all round.
RCpeterV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:26 PM   #152

New Jersey
I picked up my countertop from Ikea (a whopping $75) and also received my aluminum corner rounds from Orange Aluminum ($16 each..2 long ones for the closet and one long to be cut in half for the kitchen cabinet.). So, I made the sink template and started laying out the counter. The sink is a SMEV VA8005 (Dometic company) and I can't believe I actually had to lay out the dimensions from a small drawing they provided. Anyway, the layout worked out well. So, the countertop is obvious. The aluminum corner rounds will run vertically at the two front corners. Plywood will insert into those corner rounds to form the front of the cabinet. The laminate that is laying there in front of the countertop is one that I used in my photography studio. I am toying with using the same color and grain pattern again or going to something different. The closet and furnace box will receive the same treatment, sans countertop....lol

Old 03-21-2020, 07:14 PM   #153

New Jersey
With sunny, warm, weather comes progress! I was able to mount the front and rear solar panels today, hang the rear running lights, and install the new door weatherstripping.

The rear running lights + blinker + stop lights all built into this unit...

Old 03-21-2020, 07:45 PM   #154

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Ontario
Are the solar panels going to flip up out of the way of the windows when you are camping?
(Btw, I love following this thread)
Scamper Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:11 PM   #155

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Linda View Post
Are the solar panels going to flip up out of the way of the windows when you are camping?
(Btw, I love following this thread)
Yes Linda. If you look close in the photos, the bottom corners have spring clips. Pull those and hinge the panels up. There are also an additional (3) 50W panels that will stack in the roof tray and unfold like flower petals. Total solar capacity will be 100+100+50+50+50=350W
Old 03-23-2020, 06:34 AM   #156

New Jersey
I finally fabricated the articulating #3, #4 and #5 solar panel array. The 100W #1 and #2 are above. So, for the 50W #3, 4, and 5, I wanted them to store in a stacked configuration in the roof basket and then unfold laterally across the camper when I need them. So, here is the stack that will sit in the basket...

And, unfolded...

Keep in mind the roof basket has a high edge. So, when these unfold, they will sit on the high edge and be more or less dead flat. Also, the top two panels will receive an aluminum cover panel to prevent water and debris from collecting in the panel.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:22 AM   #157

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transposure View Post
I finally fabricated the articulating #3, #4 and #5 solar panel array. The 100W #1 and #2 are above. So, for the 50W #3, 4, and 5, I wanted them to store in a stacked configuration in the roof basket and then unfold laterally across the camper when I need them. So, here is the stack that will sit in the basket...

And, unfolded...

Keep in mind the roof basket has a high edge. So, when these unfold, they will sit on the high edge and be more or less dead flat. Also, the top two panels will receive an aluminum cover panel to prevent water and debris from collecting in the panel.

I’m loving this build
Keep the pics & writeup coming
Very very cool
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #158

New Jersey
Alan,
I am glad someone is finding this interesting! LOL
Ken
Old 03-25-2020, 02:58 PM   #159

Name: Pete
Trailer: Scamp 13
ID
Hey! I'm interested too.
Now how about that roll-up cabinet question post 151 ;o).
Pete in Idaho
RCpeterV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:23 PM   #160

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCpeterV View Post
Looks like your roll away version will take up a good deal more space the the "over the top" style. when it's rolled up will it be reducing the opening? Hard to get an idea of scale.
Nice stuff all round.
Hey Peter,
So, for the roll-up Tambour doors, I would not use the supplied tracks. Not the spiral (opening reducing) or the straight track (not enough room). Instead, I would install a side panel on each side of each door and router a groove into the inside face in the shape of a typical garage door track. So, the groove would be near vertical at the door and then curve to follow the roof and then curve to then follow the wall. So, the Tambour door would ride up, over and slightly down along the rear of the cubby space.
Make sense?