Add-A-Room... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #1

Name: PaulOWindsor
Trailer: 2011 Trillium 1500 & 2002 Airstream 34
Ontario
Add-A-Room...

Fellow Eggers : We will be using our new Trillium 1500 for the first time this summer...& as it has an awning like the one in the picture...

trillium 1500.jpg

I was wondering if anyone has ever added canvas with screens to get more (bug free) use out of their trailer ??

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Cheers, P.
Attached Thumbnails
trillium 1500.jpg  
PaulOWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:13 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
bug free

One option, if you want to go the DIY method, is to attach velcro around the edge of the awning and then the screen can be attached and/or removed as needed, (with an entrance next to the trailer). The nice option of this method is the screen is not permanent and when camping in areas that do not have bugs it can be removed. The downside I have seen is that the wind tends to blow the screen around and the entrance can be awkward at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulOWindsor View Post
Fellow Eggers : We will be using our new Trillium 1500 for the first time this summer...& as it has an awning like the one in the picture...

trillium 1500.jpg

I was wondering if anyone has ever added canvas with screens to get more (bug free) use out of their trailer ??

Cheers, P.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 88 Cadet
I think you are better going with a 10x10 free standing device and then using velcro to attach to the trailer. You need something that will withstand the wind on it's own. I tried an awning with screens velcro'd on, and the screens were too flimsy to support themselves and you ended up with very little floor space and/or the screen rubbing on your arms etc as you sat there.
Len Cater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland H View Post
One option, if you want to go the DIY method, is to attach velcro around the edge of the awning and then the screen can be attached and/or removed as needed, (with an entrance next to the trailer). The nice option of this method is the screen is not permanent and when camping in areas that do not have bugs it can be removed. The downside I have seen is that the wind tends to blow the screen around and the entrance can be awkward at times.
No bugs. Does such a place exist?
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
For the most part... Oregon. Slugs don't fly
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
HaHaHaHa! Good one Donna! I like it!
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:15 AM   #7

Name: Ken
Trailer: 19' Scamp
Nebraska
I believe Carefree has an add a room.

Carefree Motor Home Awning Rooms
Earl E. November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 1978 15 ft Trillium 4500 and 1980 17 ft Boler
Send a message via MSN to Linda S
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulOWindsor View Post

trillium 1500.jpg

Cheers, P.
Hi there, beautiful new Trillium! I have a 1978 Trillium 4500, currently up for sale. I was going to purchase an add a room for it last year but found a nice screen tent placed up beside the Trillium, to the side of the door, worked just fine.

This year, I am going to work on making my own screen room for my Boler 17'. The awning isn't that big so will buy a replacement screen for a screen tent, attach a 24" high band of canvas on the bottom. Then sew on some smaller weights as you find on the bottom of a shower curtain. Or loops on each corner so I can use tent pegs. The tricky part will be how to add it to the awning. I am thinking I will need a couple of support poles for sure.

I will keep you posted and if it works out fine, will post a how to and pattern on this site.

Linda
Linda S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #9

Name: T
Trailer: trillium 4500
Manitoba
I have one from the uk very nice looking and suited for the smaller trailers look for it in the parts for sale
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #10

Name: Caitlin
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
By the ocean! That's why I love living on the west coast, great bug-free camping All you need is a breeze...