Added shelves to closet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2007, 06:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 Trillium Outback
I found a great way to add shelves to our Trillium closet without much work. Storables has a shelving system called Industrial Post Steel Shelving that fits great into the closet.

I purchased the 34" posts and the 14" x 18" shelves, and built it right inside the closet. They are extremely sturdy and don't require any screws or tools to put it together. It leaves a little bit of a gap in the back, but I purchased some shelf borders also available to prevent anything from falling behind. It does cost a little, but it was so easy to assemble and that way we didn't do any damage to the closet! If you don't have a Storables near you you can also order them online at Storables.
Susan J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
that there's a pretty enclusive site Susan, where do we click onto to see your finished work?
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
.......does the unit look anything like THIS...
Attached Thumbnails
New_shelving.jpg  
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft 2005 Freedom Deluxe Casita
We used PVC pipes to make the framework for the shelves. Then added 1/4 plywood, covered with contact paper. Works great, lots more room in the closet and it never moves.
Attached Thumbnails
closet_shelves.JPG  
Terrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft 2005 Freedom Deluxe Casita
Also added a bathroom storage holder that I make along with the groundcovers and sunshades. The bathroom storage holders holds just about everything and will not come off the wall and only held up with special industrial velcro that will not damage the fiberglass if you ever need to take it down.
Attached Thumbnails
Storage_in_bathroom.JPG  
Terrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:18 AM   #6

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Quote:
We used PVC pipes to make the framework for the shelves. Then added 1/4 plywood, covered with contact paper. Works great, lots more room in the closet and it never moves.
I think we used the very same contact paper on our Trillium closet shelves
We were going to use pvc pipe for the framework, but used some aluminum tubing instead, because we already had some laying around.
Do you think that the industrial velcro would stick to ensolite??
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:48 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I put in 4 vertical shelf support rails, the type with slots every inch or so, then cut wooden shelves and added a front lip so nothing will roll out. The lower shelves are adjustable but due to the curvature of Lady-Bug by the roof the top shelf is not as wide as the lower 3 shelves.
Attached Thumbnails
Shelve.JPG   Shelve1.JPG  

Gerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:46 AM   #8

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
Quote:
I found a great way to add shelves to our Trillium closet without much work. Storables has a shelving system called Industrial Post Steel Shelving that fits great into the closet.

I purchased the 34" posts and the 14" x 18" shelves, and built it right inside the closet. They are extremely sturdy and don't require any screws or tools to put it together. It leaves a little bit of a gap in the back, but I purchased some shelf borders also available to prevent anything from falling behind. It does cost a little, but it was so easy to assemble and that way we didn't do any damage to the closet! If you don't have a Storables near you you can also order them online at Storables.
Hi Susan,
I checked out the link you mentioned and the product looks great. Just curious if you were able to take some pictures of how your finished closet now looks ?
ericmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:10 AM   #9

I haven't had a chance to take any pictures - I'll try to remember to the next time I'm out where our trailer is stored. It is basically made with 4 poles, and the shelves have holes in each of the 4 corners that slide right onto the poles. The shelves are held up by sleeves that fit inside the holes of the shelves and rest on notches on the poles. The shelves are adjustable - the notches are about 1 inch apart.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:05 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...Storables has a shelving system called Industrial Post Steel Shelving...
Here's the IP Shelving on the Storables site:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IPshelving.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	9967

We have a shelf like this in our house, holding a TV and associated equipment, plus books and stuff. It appears to be common in commercial kitchens. Similar systems are sold by IKEA, Home Depot, Costco, etc, but I've never seen one with shelves small enough for a trailer closet before - good find!

The grooves in the post don't look deep enough to hold anything... until you realize that the holes in the shelves are tapered tubes, and the sleeves are tapered to match, so the load on the shelf jams them together and makes the ridges on the sleeves engage the grooves very effectively.

Susan's 14"x18" shelves are the smallest available from this supplier, and the only size which would fit my Boler closet - but they would be a pretty good fit, with the 14" as the width.

At $14 a shelf, plus $7 a post, this is not a really cheap system, but is is adjustable and very strong.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:51 PM   #11

O.K. I have pictures. Now how do I add them in??? (Can you tell I haven't done this very much!)
Old 09-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #12

Quote:
O.K. I have pictures. Now how do I add them in???
It's a three-step process...
  1. Ask for help (done )
  2. read the tutorial in this linked topic: Step by Step ~ Post Pictures help.
  3. give it a try!
Old 09-09-2007, 11:01 AM   #13

Thanks for the info. I tried uploading the pictures - apparently they are too many pixels. I was unable to crop them enough, so I'll need to try to get out and re-take them this week with less pixels.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I tried uploading the pictures - apparently they are too many pixels. I was unable to crop them enough, so I'll need to try to get out and re-take them this week with less pixels.
Susan, see if this tutorial will help you with resizing the pictures... without retaking them!
Photo Upload Tutorials, How-Tos

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #15

Click image for larger version

Name:	shelves2.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	9989

Thanks for all of your help! I'm a little slow with this computer stuff - but am learning more each day. I think I finally figured out how to resize them, so here they are!
Attached Thumbnails
shelves3.jpg  
Old 09-11-2007, 08:27 PM   #16

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
Quote:
Attachment 9989

Thanks for all of your help! I'm a little slow with this computer stuff - but am learning more each day. I think I finally figured out how to resize them, so here they are!

The shelves look great - good work!
ericmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Candi Woods
Susan, those are great shelves. I have several of them all over my house. You can also take those shelves and turn them upside down so that the lip will keep things from falling out when you open the door.
Candi Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Not sure if our solution to closet storage is too simplistic but what we did was buy 6 stackable plastic bins. These are the type that you store veggies in for the kitchen. They seem to work fine. Can be taken out for cleaning. Are the right height so that they don't tip and every thing is reachable and visible. Cheap also. Lew
Lew Harpelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:48 PM   #19

Trailer: Trillium
I bought one of those cloth shoe storage shelf things that velcro to the closet rod from IKEA. They are cheap and it works great for cramming in lots of socks and underwear etc plus still gives you room to hang clothes on the rod too. I like hanging up our clothes better than rummaging around looking for stuff.
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #20

Quote:
You can also take those shelves and turn them upside down so that the lip will keep things from falling out when you open the door.
Are they really the same ones? This design normally has tapered tubes in the shelf corners, so the the weight of the shelf and its contents jams the sleeves tight; mount them upside down and they will tend to loosen and fall down.