Adding a microwave - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: In the market
Wisconsin
Adding a microwave

We bought an Egg Camper and want to hang a small microwave from the cabinet above the sink/stove area. Any tips?
jhurckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I would verify that the cabinet is able to support the added weight of a microwave. And if you do install it, it would be wise to remove the glass base plate and store it wrapped in a towel when traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-27-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Check with the manufacturer to see how much weight the cabinet mountings will support. If their advice will make it work, install a plywood floor in the cabinet to screw into in order to support the microwave. We wrap our glass plate in bubble wrap for travel.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:02 PM   #4

Name: Rhonda
Trailer: 1976 Boler "Small Scale"
Ontario
Adding microwave to Boler

My husband built shelves to go inside the storage cupboard across from the "kitchen" - I have a tiny microwave and a toaster oven both there for use. Our trailer needs some repairs including the support of the upper cupboards so I'm glad that we didn't try to hang it underneath.
smallscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #5

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Our Casita came wired for a microwave, in a fairly large cabinet over the fridge. The PO didn't install one, and we won't either. The cabinet is just right for a pantry, and we're camping, so what do we need a microwave for?

Besides, it wouldn't run on 12v or propane, either.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:22 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
"Camping" means different things to different people...

My mother traveled all over the US for years in a van (the travel kind, not the RV kind). A microwave was her only kitchen. She eats very little, and chooses to spend her time exploring rather than cooking and washing dishes. She now has a Roadtrek, but I'd be willing to bet she's never lit the stove.

We, on the other hand, do more cooking at camp than at home, never with hookups, so no microwave for me, either.

I agree about asking EggCamper whether the cabinets can support a microwave... but aren't they on an indefinite production hiatus? Is there a way to contact the owner?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Here's an alternative to installing a microwave....

https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/aj...lH8aAumm8P8HAQ

My mother recently moved into an assisted living apartment with limited counterspace so we got one of these for her.

Nicely made, could work well in an rv.

Sharp used to make a similar unit called the Half-Pint. No longer made but sometimes found on ebay and craigslist.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2023 RAV4 Trail
Ontario
Installed Microwave Oven in Bigfoot 17CB

If you do a search for, "Installed Microwave Oven in Bigfoot 17CB" in this forum, under my name, you can get an idea how I did it in my Bigfoot.
As mentioned, make sure that the fastenings connect to an area that can take the weight. Mine has been up and working fine since 2012.
Good luck.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:19 PM   #9

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Microwave weight

The counter top unit weight is 33lbs. Weight is very important to me . My 13Scamp has no heater , (I use a small elect. ) , no air cond. , only 1 propane tank , but I was talked into a ref ( which I'm thankful for ) . I did also opt for an awning . The total weight , loaded is well under 1500 lbs. The extra weight adds up fast !
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #10

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - "The Haunted Mansion" (13') and TBD (16')
Colorado
Registry
We actually put our microwave under the counter in the cabinet. It's strapped down with a ratchet strap. It's not going anywhere. Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2629-1.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	103490
Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave