Adding a microwave to my Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2007, 12:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe Side Dinette
Hi,

I am adding a microwave to my 2003 16' Scamp Side Dinette Deluxe. I found a microwave that just fits into the existing cupboard. Are there any tricks I should know? When the factory installs a microwave what do they do? Do they just slide it in? Do they vent it or ..... ? Suggestions?

Thanks,

John
John Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:41 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
For what it's worth, if it slides in, it will also slide out while driving down the road. Yes, do know from experience. Secure it while on the road. Mike B
Mike-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Make certain there's plenty of space around the microwave for the vents. The micro I have has vents on the side, so that's where the space needed to be. Too, those vents are where the moisture generated is dispersed from....don't keep your salt shaker next to those vents

To keep the micro where it belongs, consider these:
TV Grips...I see they also come in white.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #4

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
John,
Our Casita has a round, louvered, approx. 4 1/2" vent on each side of the cabinet. They are located toward the rear top of the cabinet sides.. A strip of wood moulding is screwed to the cabinet bottom. The moulding is not quite as thick as the height of the microwave's feet. It is located in front of the feet and the 'wave is pulled forward so the cabinet door just closes. I believe the cabinet door is eliminated on Casita factory installations. Of course, it is only used with the cabinet door open. This allows the maximum amount of room for ventilation in the back. The electrical outlet is located towards the rear on the right inside cabinet wall.
In 7,000+ miles of travel the microwave has not budged.

We hope this gives you a little more insight.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:00 AM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
John, my '02 16' came with a microwave cabinet just above the fridge, but sans microwave. A trip to the local Walmart for a microwave netted me a dimensionally-correct Sharp Carousel for about $50. I removed the cabinet door and slid the microwave in. I used a curtain expansion rod as a "keeper" in front of the MW feet at the bottom of the cabinet. In several thousand miles of travel, the microwave never moved. I'm using the same microwave in a similar cabinet with the door removed in my Bigfoot now.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #6

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe Side Dinette
Thank you all for your input. I've done like Roger and purchased and installed a microwave that just fits. I guess my biggest concern is whether I need to install a louvered vent like Kurt's Casita has. Has anyone purchased a Scamp with the microwave factory installed? If so does it have any vents in the rear? Roger have you had any problem with moisture buildup inside? There is some ventilation in the front because there is about a half inch of space all around the microwave.

Thanks,

John
John Blair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave, scamp