Adding a temp bunk above dinette? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2018, 04:56 AM   #1

Name: Lorrie
Trailer: Scamp
TN
Adding a temp bunk above dinette?

Looking at a Scamp 16 and we have a family of 3 . I’d love to reserve the bunk area or front dinette (if it’s Deluxe A) for sitting as we have both night owls and early birds but that means I need a place for my 5 foot tall teen. Has anyone see mods where a temporary bunk or hammock is added at night above the rear dinette? I’d imagine you’d need to have supports against the fiberglass walls. HOvering above the rear dinette. Make sense? Thanks!
Lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:11 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
Looking at a Scamp 16 and we have a family of 3 . I’d love to reserve the bunk area or front dinette (if it’s Deluxe A) for sitting as we have both night owls and early birds but that means I need a place for my 5 foot tall teen. Has anyone see mods where a temporary bunk or hammock is added at night above the rear dinette? I’d imagine you’d need to have supports against the fiberglass walls. HOvering above the rear dinette. Make sense? Thanks!
Tents work good for children.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:35 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Adding a temp bunk above dinette?

I've seen it done for a small child, but not for a teen. To support the weight., it'd have to have some vertical supports, making the already cramped dinette bed even tighter. It'd be a pain to set up and take down, and the pieces have to be stowed somewhere.

We have the same issue. I'm the early-to-bed, early riser in our family of 4 in a Scamp 13. I take the lower bunk. It's cave-like, so I can sleep while the rest of the crew stays up reading, cross-stitching, or watching a movie on a tablet.

In the morning I make coffee on our camp stove outside and sit or go for a walk while the others sleep. If the weather's nasty- a rare event- I can sit and read in the tow vehicle, maybe catch some news on the radio.

The trailer is our bedroom. The outdoors is our living room.

A Clam shelter with wind panels makes a nice outdoor sitting area if bugs or rain are an issue.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote