Adding a window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2021, 02:25 PM   #1

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
Adding a window

Does anyone have experience adding a window? We are wondering what kind of framing was needed? And any other tips would be great. We have an Escape so it is single hulled.
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:32 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
You will need to know how thick the walls are when you order the RV window. You should be able to get it from Escape (or at least the make and model number). I used a multi-tool to cut the hole I traced out using the window as a templet. My wife held the vacuum cleaner to collect the fiberglass dust as I made the cuts. Butyl tape was applied to the window frame then pressed the window into place. The interior pinch frame was then lightly tightened using a criss-cross pattern. Next I went back around the entire frame gently tightening the pinch rail again, then again the next day after the butyl tape squeezed out around the frame. I used a plastic credit card to scrape off the excess tape from the exterior surface. Easy to do, just double/triple check your window tracing to make sure the window will be centered, level and on the flattest surface prior to cutting. Best of luck.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:36 AM   #3

California
David- thanks for the good information. Escape puts in reinforcement when they put in original windows so I’m wondering what others have used putting in a new window at a later date.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:06 PM   #4

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrewer View Post
David- thanks for the good information. Escape puts in reinforcement when they put in original windows so I’m wondering what others have used putting in a new window at a later date.

This is a question best posed on the Escape Owners Forum.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/

There is a tremendous wealth of Escape knowledge on that Forum.

Within the last 7 years, I do not recall anyone posting about adding a window. There are some threads about adding access hatches similar to what Escape provides as options.

Where are you thinking of adding a window, and what is the size? If you're adding a small awning window at the kitchen: we got that as an option on our Escape 17, and we love it: extra light at the counter, and more importantly, ventilation even in inclement weather.
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:36 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrewer View Post
Good point. The two small Scamp awning windows I added were to our Lil Snoozy, which didn’t need to be reinforced. The water heater hatch I added to our Scamp needed 1”x2” wood on the interior periphery to which the hatch frame attached.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:02 AM   #6

California
That’s what we were thinking we needed. How did you attach the 1x2?