Adding baby moons - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2017, 08:42 PM   #1

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Adding baby moons

Anyone know what size hub caps I need for a 1974 Boler with stock 13" rims. We don't pick it up until April so I can't do any measuring until then. Thanks!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #2

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Sorry we have a 17 with 14" wheels and original hub caps but should look nice
Old 01-24-2017, 04:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butsky View Post
Anyone know what size hub caps I need for a 1974 Boler with stock 13" rims. We don't pick it up until April so I can't do any measuring until then. Thanks!
They are likely insert caps like late forties cars and trucks. Newer conventional baby moons won't fit.
good news is that there are plenty of aftermarket insert "baby moons" available from hot rod suppliers.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:52 PM   #4

Ontario
Registry
baby Moons

Well, I guess I will wait until April when I pick up our "Shellie" as my wife calls it. Can shine up the rusty ones then, and look on the aftermarket sites and get a new pair! Thanks, boys!
Old 01-24-2017, 05:11 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Well, I guess I will wait until April when I pick up our "Shellie" as my wife calls it. Can shine up the rusty ones then, and look on the aftermarket sites and get a new pair! Thanks, boys!
Ronald, a little trick I picked up from a hot rod show, is to use aluminum foil wadded up to use like a buffing rag on the rusted chrome. My brother tried it on a pair of rusted handle bars, and they looked new afterwards.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
If you order from the US, be very aware of the shipping costs. I was going to order some and they were inexpensive for the caps, but then the shipping was ridiculous.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:43 PM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
A quick search provided this. Stainless Steel Baby Moons | Product Categories | Hubcaps & Tires
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:01 PM   #8

Ontario
Registry
Baby Moons

Well folks, at least I have the old ones! Using wadded up tinfoil is one treatment I never heard of! I will try it, along with my regular task of using "0000" grade steel wool and Solvol Autosol rust paste. That will tide me over until I order new ones. I live close to the USA border at Buffalo, so I can zip across to pick them up at my local shipper. Nice link to those new caps too! I have a feeling I will find what I need. Much thanks to all!
Old 01-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
clean the baby moons with barkeepers friend. It will get rid of the rust then wax the hell out of the wheel covers. You may be surprised how well they will come out with enough elbow grease. Good enough to drive down the road. My baby moons have to deal with the neighbors crappy ass cats but cleaning and waxing them twice a year keeps the old caps living on.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:41 PM   #10

Ontario
Registry
Baby Moons

Wondering if I can just spray with clear lacquer after removing the rust. That should also work...
Old 01-26-2017, 05:14 AM   #11

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I just saw a YouTube video of Jay Leno talking about a product that he has used for years called Quick-glo. for removing rust from chrome.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:12 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Wondering if I can just spray with clear lacquer after removing the rust. That should also work...
The problem with a lacquer is it wont be UV protected. it will turn yellow and start cracking and then you will have another problem on your hand. The lacquer wit burn twice as much from UV coming from the sky and then coming back through again as it is reflected from the chrome.

Much as you get twice the sunburn when out on the lake in your boat.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote