I won’t be camping in the cold this winter, but am delighted to read these various thoughts on heaters in enclosed spaces. Last year our power went out for about 5 days after a snowpocalypse uncharacteristic for our location; we live in town and this almost never happens. No wood stove in this house, but we hovered near the gas fireplace during the day and under down at night.
I haven’t yet purchased any portable heat for the 1989 Lil Bigfoot
(amazingly, the furnace still works but the switch to light
it is a pain), but if we had such an animal it might have helped us in the house — if I were comfortable about how much ventilation we needed to be safe. I've been meaning to come here and ask advice about this. I hope this question would not be hijacking the thread?
We have the most beautiful vintage kerosene heater with a glass enclosure for the flame. Hubby occasionally used it in the garage, and we loved lighting
it on the patio at night — light
plus warmth. Using the family room as an example, about 14 x 22 with a patio door and an attached bath with a window I wonder how much ventilation I would need to safely use that heater in that room during another power outage?
Of course it does not have a thermostat, but you can adjust the flame high or low using a little knob (like a kerosene lantern). I realize that the main answer would be to rely on the carbon monoxide monitor, which i can do, but would like to hear some thoughts on using this if anyone cares to comment. I’d also like to know if this would be safe in my LB...? With windows
cracked? The heater is one of these: https://images.app.goo.gl/eeKUE1dmVsYe3JNq5
Thank you in advance for any advice!