Adding Height - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Adding Height

Just sitting here wondering if anyone has attempted/succeeded at adding height to their older Scamp or Casita. It seems, for the many very talented folks on this and other forums, that it would be quite doable, at least to my naive eye.

1) Remove the interior cabinets
2) Remove the belly band
3) Cut the belly seam
4) Lift the top half of the trailer
5) Fashion a fiberglass/wood spacer to fit the proper contours
6) Replace the top half of the trailer
7) Seal the new spacer with fiberglass
8) Replace the belly band (add a second one on new seam)
9) Paint the center band a contrasting color to mask the new fiberglass
10) Re-build the necessary interior cabinets to match the new dimensions.

Just seems like this would be something someone could undertake while doing their major re-builds.

Any one know if it's been accomplished or tried? Have never run across any discussion of something like this. Not saying it's anything I would do, I don't have the talents. Strictly curiosity here.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
Ria

Name: Ria
Trailer: Looking to buy soon
North Dakota
We bought a 73 scamp that has the floor dropped several inches. It added head room but seems like it would be much easier than what you are suggesting. Of course, it is the 13ft and there isn't much floor, lol!
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Interesting idea. Would also need to fabricate a new door or plug the gap above the door when the upper shell is raised.

A new curved door that actually sealed would be a real b*tch for create.........

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:50 AM   #4

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
You could also go with a pop-top over the floor area like the Compacts and Campsters. That would be way easier as long as it didn't impact roof mounted A/C.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's a picture somewhere here on FiberglassRV, where the owner cut the trolley top and lifted that ala Havasu. Really you only need the center of the trailer to be taller because that's where you stand/walk. That would be a lot easier than separating at the belly band and lifting half the trailer up and then rebuilding the door.

I'll see if I can find the picture. If I do, I'll post back in this thread.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #6

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Hadn't considered the door problem. Would be a pain - probably the deal breaker.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If you could find a donor trailer to salvage parts from, I could see some possibilities.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #8

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
It would be cheaper to buy a trailer that fits your needs and sell that one to someone shorter.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #9

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Awesome!

So funny to find this post just now as we were just talking about the multiple levels of flooring in our Scamp. I have daydreamed about how to do this! But no good ideas really.

And it's not as simple as buying a trailer that fits you because there really aren't any fiberglass ones that are being produced that I consider affordable to solve the problem. EggCamper not in production right now and hard to find a used one, Lil Snoozy no real difference and worse to me due to full time bed space not to mention starts at $21k. Parkliner maybe but for us we would LOSE length aka living space so that's a no go. That leaves Escape, Oliver and BigFoot which I don't find affordable either.

If someone would make a U.S. made fiberglass camper that fit tall people they could really make some money and some happy campers. Just my $.02.
Laura (not Bill)
Old 07-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #10

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Really like the dual belly band idea
Old 07-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #11

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
I am 6'2" without shoes and 1-2" taller with shoes and have no problem with a 17' Casita interior height with or without shoes on. I have been in shorter trailers and did feel the size to be a small issue but soon came to realize that I automatically adjusted my posture to fit and only a small bit of the time am I actually standing while in the trailer.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:39 AM   #12

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Registry
I was just thinking about this the other day and found this thread by searching. I am 6'0" and don't need this at all, but was more curious.

I had the idea of cutting the top as cleanly as possible and using the cut out piece as a pop top. This new pop top would need some fiberglass built up to act as a raised lid, similar to the compact and campster lids Denese mentions above. Then the trailer would need some fiberglass built up to make a lip, again similar to a compact or campster. I would think this lip would need to be fairly thick, as you're losing structure by cutting a hole...

Then you could do a canvas tent, a rubber seal, make a set of scissor lifts (rigid conduit?), and you'd probably have something that was pretty functional. Had an old '74 VW camper with a pop top that tilted on a hinge. Something like that could work also, same concept but an easier lift system.

Donna, did you ever find the pics you referenced?

Dan
Curbfeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Glue a small fiberglass boat up there. Upside down.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote