Adding propane to Snoozy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Maryland
Adding propane to Snoozy

In the process of adding propane to the Snoozy mostly for heat but will have it for heating water if needed. My question in this project is the mounting of the cylinders. I would like to make a mount where I could cradle them close to the Snoozy body on an angle to leave as much room as possible for the generator and, minimally, keep the tongue weight down. It may be a 30° angle, one on each side of generator, but was wondering if this would cause any flow issues? I will continue to try and upload a picture with my thoughts, but it my be beyond my skill level. Just an idea and trying to get some feedback. Thanks for your thoughts.
Doug
dbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Get a horizontal propane tank instead.More expensive, but they are out there in many, many sizes.

"Propane appliances for cooking, heating, lighting, water heating and refrigeration are designed to operate on gas vapor only. Therefore cylinders and tanks designed for vapor service must be transported, installed and used in the proper position. Do not transport, install or use a vertical cylinder in a horizontal or upside down position."

Google it if you want to know more.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #3

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Doug
Like a lot of things, adding pictures here is very easy, once you know how.
Click on "Go Advanced" at the bottom of the message window, then click on the usual paper clip icon for attachments. That will open another window where you can specify up to 4 images to attach. I think you can attach more than 4 but I've never looked into how.

Walt
Old 08-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Those ubiquitous 20 lb cylinders should be upright to be certain that vapor feeds under all circumstances. A little tilt might be OK, but how much?
What kind of generator are you planning?
I bought a Pulsar PG2200BiS dual fuel unit and added a second tank (20 lb) for it.
If you can weld then perhaps you can add mounts to the side of the VEE to hold the tanks and put the generator between.
I have thought about putting my generator on top of the heat pump in front to the trailer but I worry about where it would go in the case of a crash.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I second the idea of a horizontal tank. They are forklift tanks and come in aluminum for light weight. Easy to find. I used on on my boat for years.

They mount well too, with a cradle bracket at each end.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #6

Florida
If you use a fork lift tank make sure you mount and plumb it for vapor output.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:20 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Do you take the forklift into town to fill the propane tank or is it easily removed? What does it weigh when full?
Old 08-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #8

Smith Valley, Nevada
Here is an example of a 30 lb aluminum propane tank with a 24 lb tare. They come in various sizes and with various mount systems. The simplest is an over-centering bracket that allows for very easy removal. Easier than a conventional RV propane tank mount.

Seems like this would tuck into the front lower area of a Snoozy very nicely.

https://gascylindersource.com/shop/p...pane-cylinder/
Old 08-20-2019, 04:29 AM   #9

Name: Douglas
MD
Registry
I used a Power Tank bracket to mount mine on the back of my Snoozy under the AC. The tank sits on the bumper and the bracket is held on by 4 through-bolts accessible under the sink. The pic in my Terragrin album is sideways but you can get the idea. I'm not sure how much propane you need. Mine is an 11 pound tank and it runs the Propex heater a long time.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:31 AM   #10

MD
Registry
Fiberglass RV - Air Doug's Album: Terragrin - Picture

Here is the link to my album picture of the propane tank.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #11

Florida
I would worry about being rear ended with the propane tanks back there.
I have a "Back porch" rack that installs on the rear hitch to carry gas cans, but that is only to carry extra fuel for emergency response when there is little traffic on the road.
I thought about mounting the LP tanks on the back, to free up room for the generator on the tongue, but.... the thought of the fireball enveloping the trailer and surroundings made me think twice or three times about that option
Old 08-20-2019, 07:48 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Do you take the forklift into town to fill the propane tank or is it easily removed? What does it weigh when full?
I suspect it depends on the size of the tank, but the one I'm familiar with is a 30 pound tank that is removable - undo 2 straps & the gas connection. The tank was quite a bit heavier than a standard 30 pounder.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
A good place to find horizontal tanks is from marine supply sources. They are easier to fit inside of the outside deck seating compartment benches.

Look on craigslist in the boat parts section for used ones.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:15 AM   #14

MD
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I would worry about being rear ended with the propane tanks back there...
I thought about mounting the LP tanks on the back, to free up room for the generator on the tongue, but.... the thought of the fireball enveloping the trailer and surroundings made me think twice or three times about that option
I thought about it too, but
- I checked DOT regs and it is permissible
- The tanks are DOT approved and really tough
- The fireball would be on the back of the trailer, far from me
- Accidents happen that involve the tongue, too, which is way closer to me

Anyway, it keeps the tongue clear for the generator and bikes.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:24 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
[QUOTE=redbarron55;752762]
If you can weld then perhaps you can add mounts to the side of the VEE to hold the tanks [/QUOTE

By doing this you can drop the tank height down an inch or so that allows them to be moved rearward as they are further down on the curve in the front of the trailer. That allowed me to install my Lo-Pro Honda generator mount between the jack and tanks. Not visable is where I heated and curved in the top of the tank cover to clear the front of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Done_Side.jpg  
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:43 AM   #16

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Doug View Post
I thought about it too, but
- I checked DOT regs and it is permissible
- The tanks are DOT approved and really tough
- The fireball would be on the back of the trailer, far from me
- Accidents happen that involve the tongue, too, which is way closer to me

Anyway, it keeps the tongue clear for the generator and bikes.

LP tanks don't just turn into engulfing fireballs every time they get into an accident. They are very tough. It's far more likely that if a rear mounted one took a direct hit from a vehicle, that it would simply get pushed through the thin back wall of the Snoozy and be just fine. If the hose got ripped off during that event, the safety valve would shut off. And as you mentioned, one could get damaged while on the front of the trailer too. A severe rear end crash would drive the Snoozy into the back of the TV.

But I still think a horizontal tank under the front curve of the Snoozy is the most elegant location.

Tags
propane