Adding USB power for accessories - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2020, 07:05 PM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Carolina
Adding USB power for accessories

I travel quite a bit and, like many, use phones and IPads, etc a lot. Was tired of having to bring 110 vac inverter (now wired in) to charge a low voltage device, like a phone. Getting ready to go to PA next week, decided to tackle that today. Went to Lowe’s and found a USB/110VAC plug combo. A bit of wire swapping, and now I just bring the cables. About $25, probably can get online cheaper. Of course, be aware that 110 VAC is present, so power off from shore power and DC/AC inverters before swapping wires. Clean and less wires. Easy to do.

Derswede
Attached Thumbnails
3C5FC689-A02D-4A3A-B26B-8900F3A53250.jpeg  
Derswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:15 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
USB from RV battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derswede View Post
Was tired of having to bring 110 vac inverter (now wired in) to charge a low voltage device, like a phone.
Or just charge from the RV battery and you do not have to invert to AC only to convert back to DC.
Attached Thumbnails
04 12 VDC usb.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:25 AM   #3

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Carolina
I have several items connected to a 12 V distribution panel for direct DC connect. As the DP is on the front of the camper and most of our "living" is towards the dining area, it is a bit more complicated than just a DC hookup. My wife does not share my enthusiasm for such add-ons, and she is not technical at all. So, using the KISS principle, I decided that this puts the USB in a common area, no extra wires, and not complicated in the install, and easy for her to use. (If the wife ain't happy....!)

My amateur radios use a supplemental battery mounted near the HW heater, charged via solar or mains power. As my radio draws 20A, it has to be a low ohm-age connection, so the main problem is access and a heavy cable. I was going to add USB and power out for the radio in the same area, but it would necessitate making holes in the main cabin for a connector plate, and I don't want to do that. The combined AC/USB plug addressed one problem, my small LIFE battery + a roll up cable answers another. That cable will be direct to the radio, so it becomes "Wires I can see!!" to her, so radio time is limited to my solo camping.

So, allow me to back up and punt....."If you have a sig other who hates extra wires and such as much as my wife, then this may be a solution."

How Dat?

Derswede
Derswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:46 PM   #4

Name: Brett
Nevada
I did the same as AC0GV did. I added one 2 outlet usb adapter near each bed and one in the kitchen to charge flashlights, etc over night. I did add an inline fuse (10a) for each adapter because I was adding more draw to the circuit
Bfleissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:11 PM   #5

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
I added one similar to AC0GV's. I put it in the front LH corner of the trailer behind the seat back of the dinette, in the upper surface of the storage compartment. I was installing a water heater switch panel so I put them together and out of the way. I bought long cords that run across the front end of the dinette seat at the wall and onto the dinette table. It has two USB ports that are Qualcomm 3.0 compatible so I can fast charge my phone (that uses that protocol) and also has a volt meter so I can see the DC voltage. It also has a power socket so other odd adapters can be plugged in. I had extra fuse positions in the 12v fuse panel under the dinette seat so I ran a new circuit to power this and provide power for the water heater control.

Charles

Old 12-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+100 with the 12V DC USB plugs. In the end, I rarely have 120V AC when I am camping.

Full disclosure, I do also have one of those USB/120V outlet plugs in my Escape. If/when I have shore power, its nice to have and takes up no additional space (just replace an existing outlet with one of these).
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #7

Name: Paul
California
Derswede, good morning.

It might be more electrically conservative to go with a 12v to 5v connection, as 110v may not always be present... And it's less efficient.

My 2 cents...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derswede View Post
I travel quite a bit and, like many, use phones and IPads, etc a lot. Was tired of having to bring 110 vac inverter (now wired in) to charge a low voltage device, like a phone. Getting ready to go to PA next week, decided to tackle that today. Went to Lowe’s and found a USB/110VAC plug combo. A bit of wire swapping, and now I just bring the cables. About $25, probably can get online cheaper. Of course, be aware that 110 VAC is present, so power off from shore power and DC/AC inverters before swapping wires. Clean and less wires. Easy to do.

Derswede
Berthaduniverse is offline   Reply With Quote