AGM battery - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2019, 10:02 PM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
AGM battery

I have a 2014 17 ft SD Casita. What would you recommend as the BEST! AGM battery to use as a replacement for the wet cell battery I have now? Casita now uses an Interstate group 31 AGM.
Thanks Kevin
Kevin Probst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:28 PM   #2

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
Personally, I'd call the Firefly the best, but once you see the price, you'd probably not be too interested.
I see they went up in price. I bought two of them for my 27' sailboat and keep them charged up with solar. I like that they can be discharged more than regular batteries and can still come back to full capacity.
Even if not buying one, there's some good info at the bottom of the page, like from Nigel Calder who is well regarded in the marine world.

https://www.bruceschwab.com/advanced...asis-group-31/
Old 02-01-2019, 05:21 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
The Interstate is likely a good option. I got a Vmaxtank.. a lesser known brand that seems to get very good reviews. (If you buy one, get the 10% first purchase discount). Free shipping to my door made it easy.

Group 27:
https://www.vmaxtanks.com/MR127-100-...tery_p_24.html

Group 31:
https://www.vmaxtanks.com/MR137-120-...tery_p_28.html
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:46 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Lifeline

AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery Made In USA - Lifeline Batteries

Shop around. When I bought Inverters R Us had the best price.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #5

Name: Ross
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
Registry
I purchased my AGM batteries at Costco.
https://www.facebook.com/17869471268...0482700840317/
Seaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I have been very happy with the Odyssey I have in my vehicle, it has been cranking (relatively) enthusiastically even at -20 this week. It has also powered a 12V fridge and a CPAP overnight numerous times while I have slept in the vehicle while overlanding, no problem starting the vehicle in the morning.

Make sure you get a charger intended for AGM, they last longer with a higher voltage charge than regular lead-acid.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #7

Oregon
Thanks for the battery recommendations. Several more questions. Does any of the original electrical/charging components within need to be revised when switching from a wet cell to a AGM battery in a 2014 SD casita? And will the dimensions of a AGM fit into the original battery compartment or is this easily revised if necessary?
Old 02-01-2019, 02:49 PM   #8

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Probst View Post
Thanks for the battery recommendations. Several more questions. Does any of the original electrical/charging components within need to be revised when switching from a wet cell to a AGM battery in a 2014 SD casita? And will the dimensions of a AGM fit into the original battery compartment or is this easily revised if necessary?

Hi Kevin, if you do not have solar I do not foresee any changes , and your battery box should be ok.
But if you are using solar as a option in charging your AGM batteries you will need to Change your pwm or mptt controller settings to battery spec charge rates.

https://www.solacity.com/mppt-vs-pwm...ts-difference/
Old 02-01-2019, 03:38 PM   #9

Oregon
Thanks Seaross! I have a Zamp portable solar charger that can be switched to AGM, so no problems.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:51 PM   #10

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Seaross! I have a Zamp portable solar charger that can be switched to AGM, so no problems.

Great!
Old 02-01-2019, 04:51 PM   #11

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
I would say "no", no need to change anything. Both wet cell and AGM batteries are of the same chemistry - lead acid. The difference in charging parameters is not principal, it is mostly "most optimal" for a given battery type.

As for dimensions there are standard battery sizes (groups). Get a battery of the same group size.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:27 PM   #12

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
AGM battery

Quote:
I have a 2014 17 ft SD Casita. What would you recommend as the BEST! AGM battery to use as a replacement for the wet cell battery I have now? Casita now uses an Interstate group 31 AGM.
Thanks Kevin
No matter what lead acid battery you pick, just make sure there is a charge REGULATOR circuit on your power supply, otherwise ther is a high risk of overcharging the battery, if left on charge voltage for extended periods.

Even the best lead acid battery will die if overcharged or completely drained for long periods.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #13

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I now have an Optima Blue top battery. I chose this because we do a lot of really rough roads and this is sealed so the water won't splash out. Got it last season. Seems to work better in cold weather also. Really like it.

Now that I think about it, I need to strap it down inside the compartment so it won't bounce around so much.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #14

Name: Nigel
OR
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Kevin
Kevin
Also in Oregon, and also looking to replace the regular lead battery with an AGM in my 2015 17' Casita.

I just read the early replies to your question and those good people don't own Casitas but other brands. I'm not only concerned about if the charging will work ok but also will it fit in the little battery compartment.

Did you find a definitive AGM answer that both works and fits?

Cheers Nigel
Bowlieweekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowlieweekender View Post
Kevin
Also in Oregon, and also looking to replace the regular lead battery with an AGM in my 2015 17' Casita.

I just read the early replies to your question and those good people don't own Casitas but other brands. I'm not only concerned about if the charging will work ok but also will it fit in the little battery compartment.

Did you find a definitive AGM answer that both works and fits?

Cheers Nigel
AGM is the technology of the battery, not the size. AGM batteries are available in a number of physical sizes (and 6V or 12V). Be sure the size you choose is the same size as your original battery, or at least, will fit in your battery compartment.

As to charging, even the different AGM manufacturers have different charging requirements. For example, most do not recommend equalizing level charging, while Lifeline does. Because there are many different converters & solar controllers, some that can have the voltages & times set for the different charging stages, it is best to check the specifications of both the new battery & converter/solar controller to match them.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #16

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I have a 2013 Casita Spirit Delux. I replaced the converter with a PD 4645V. It is a multiphase charger. Progressive and Optima said it will work the battery. It fits nicely: Optima Blue Top D27M.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:14 PM   #17

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
You might consider checking AMAZON.COM for AGM batteries.
Most folks do not know that AGM batteries can be shipped FedEx or
UPS because they are sealed units and do not leak.

Amazon has the best prices !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #18

Name: G
Trailer: Damon
Alberta
AGM repl batt

Quote:
Thanks Kevin
AGM's are not a good replacement for true deep cycle batteries. For roughly the same price as one AGM you can get vastly more battery from Costco. Two six volt deep cycle units. If you do your own maintenance it's just a minor extra; same thing if you're paying someone else!! If the battery doesn't have "DC" in it's description it probably isn't a deep cycle item.
workhorsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #19

Name: Nigel
OR
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
You might consider checking AMAZON.COM for AGM batteries.
Most folks do not know that AGM batteries can be shipped FedEx or
UPS because they are sealed units and do not leak.

Amazon has the best prices !
That's great logic Patrick!
I love Amazon and use them often. Again, an AGM model that someone has actually installed in a Casita that works and didn't smoke the charge controller is what I seek.

Cheers Nigel
Bowlieweekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:03 PM   #20

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Many are confused about what a AGM battery is or isn’t.
If you seek an education about 12 Volt batteries and 12 Volt battery chargers
I suggest you spend some time reading: the 12 volt side of life....just google it !

The main difference between a liquid filled acid battery and an AGM battery
is the AGM has cells of fiberglass mats saturated with acid (absorbed glass mats).
Are these batteries true deep cycle? YES ! If they are so labeled.
The one I got thru Amazon was about $100 delivered and had a full 100 AH.
What are “AH” ?......read the 12 volt side of life on the internet.
Knowledge is power !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery