air shocks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2008, 08:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 1973 16 ft Amerigo
Send a message via Yahoo to sherry loving o
Question

hello,
I just thought I'd see if anyone else has air shocks on their scamp? I needed a new axle so, my dad who has a custom machine shop decided he could fix it.....he put air shocks on it after making finding out he couldn't flip the axle. He made the mounts and added the shocks. It now sits approximately 4" higher than it did. We'll see how she works now.
sherry loving o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
I needed a new axle so, my dad who has a custom machine shop decided he could fix it.....he put air shocks on it after making finding out he couldn't flip the axle.
I've heard of putting air shocks on the tow vehicle, but not on the trailer...
Got pictures of the installation?
Old 06-15-2008, 07:03 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
Interresting idea. Floating along on a cloud.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:56 PM   #4

Quote:
I've heard of putting air shocks on the tow vehicle, but not on the trailer...
Got pictures of the installation?

I don't have any as of now but, I'll take some and post them after we return from our trip....I haven't heard of it either but, It works great and raised it to the correct height. It was a project but only cost $100. It was alot easier and cheaper than trying to buy a new axle.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Boler (Winnipeg factory
Quote:
I don't have any as of now but, I'll take some and post them after we return from our trip....I haven't heard of it either but, It works great and raised it to the correct height. It was a project but only cost $100. It was alot easier and cheaper than trying to buy a new axle.
Looking forward to the pics too!
Tom and Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Looking forward to the pics too!

I'll be posting the pic's soon....I just got back and will be getting some pic's ready to post.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
I'll be posting the pic's soon....I just got back and will be getting some pic's ready to post.
Any luck on those pics?
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'm guessing that what he has really done is installed the air shocks as air springs to make up for the lack of rubber spring in the torsion axle. That's a new one as far as I know (Some Scamp 5W owners have installed shocks as shocks to their axles) and indeed is less expensive than replacing the entire axle -- Clever!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:10 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
Ok, But don't you still have a bad axle, with good shocks, when your finished?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:32 PM   #10

Yes, depending on how one defines bad. If the air shocks replace the lost springing action of the axle, then the 'bad' axle doesn't matter.

However, it wouldn't make economic sense to put on something like a set of Firestone Ride-Rite air springs because the cost would be getting close to that of a new axle...
Old 09-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Any luck on those pics?

I was never able to get the pic's since the tires would have to be removed to see it. I wasn't able to do that since my father is too busy with his shop to help. I waited for him to find some free time but, never did ask again. He's so busy and w/ all he's done for me, I didn't want to ask another favor. I would've love to have been able to post pic's but, it didn't work out. I didn't think about it when he had up on the fork lift 10' or so up.
He made mounts for the shocks on his EDM machine then welded them onto the frame which was in great condition. I only spent about $100 for the shocks and of course the labor involved which would have been the same as installing a whole new axle. But, I honestly didn't have the money to invest in a new axle w/ delivery it was over $400 or so. It was a lot less $$$ to just replace the shocks. The height was adjustable and it was nice to pull. It worked for me.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Any luck on those pics?

I was never able to get the pic's since the tires would have to be removed to see it. I wasn't able to do that since my father is too busy with his shop to help. I waited for him to find some free time but, never did ask again. He's so busy and w/ all he's done for me, I didn't want to ask another favor. I would've love to have been able to post pic's but, it didn't work out. I didn't think about it when he had up on the fork lift 10' or so up.
He made mounts for the shocks on his EDM machine then welded them onto the frame which was in great condition. I only spent about $100 for the shocks and of course the labor involved which would have been the same as installing a whole new axle. But, I honestly didn't have the money to invest in a new axle w/ delivery it was over $400 or so. It was a lot less $$$ to just replace the shocks. The height was adjustable and it was nice to pull. It worked for me.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:01 PM   #13

I received a PM that pointed out that the deteriorated (flattened) rubber rods in the bad axle may affect alignment of the wheels -- It would be a good idea to keep a close eye on the tread wear of the tires to see if this is happening.