Alternative air conditioning solutions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2020, 03:54 AM   #1

Name: Biker
Trailer: 2018 Bigfoot 21' 25B21FB (PREV: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe)
North Carolina
Alternative air conditioning solutions

Hi,

Curious if anyone has experimented with non-rooftop (maybe portable) air conditioning solutions to use in their FG camper?

Our rooftop unit works great, but was wondering of anyone uses an alternative solution (maybe while enroute to final destination or while boondocking) that works great with a smaller generator.

Thank you in advance!
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 04:53 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker View Post
Hi,

Curious if anyone has experimented with non-rooftop (maybe portable) air conditioning solutions to use in their FG camper?

Our rooftop unit works great, but was wondering of anyone uses an alternative solution (maybe while enroute to final destination or while boondocking) that works great with a smaller generator.

Thank you in advance!
That depends on the size of your rooftop A/C (it’s BTU capacity) and the wattage of your generator. There is an available solution, the E-Z Start module. Somewhere around $300 and has been installed by many FG trailer owners. Considering the cost of an alternate A/C and the effort/cost to modify the trailer it would seem to be a bargain. My Escape has an 11,000 BTU Dometic Penguin. I could run it at low altitudes with my Honda EU2000i. It will now run at high elevations on the Honda, although higher elevations often (not always) do not require A/C for comfort. And Honda has “updated” the 2000 watt generator to 2200 watts. Perhaps there are members with the same rooftop A/C you have that have added E-Z Start can shed light on its performance for them.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:26 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Many people have used window units and for some that was standard at one time. A few have even installed mini-split heat pump systems. At least that is what I have read in many threads and posts on this forum. And the "Easy Start" is a helpful option to both quiet the sound of the compressor when it start and allow the A/C with a smaller generator than it would without it. This has also discussed here many times. So in addition to any new information you get from your query, I suggest searching the many years of prior posts. I prefer to search using Google with search terms and the "restricted to site" option, ex: "mini split site:fiberglassrv.com"
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:54 AM   #4

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Our LiL Snoozy is equipped with a 8000 BTU window unit. I run it with a Honda 2000. A bonus is the AC is much quieter than the roof mounted units. I have a generator mount on the back of the tow and a short cord so I can run it going down the road. We used it when the temp was 100 plus to cool off the trailer before we got to the CG.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:11 AM   #5

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
We have the MicroAir Easy Start on our 2019 Big Foot 25RQ. Found here:

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267

This little gem allows us to run the 11K AC from our solar batteries as needed. Last summer we got about 4 hours run time before the batteries needed to be supplemented by the generator or shore power. When in transit we use the AC on battery power for lunch. The solar panels will usually be sufficient to recharge the batteries by the time we find a campsite for the evening. However we also use the campsite elec to replenish the batteries or the generator if boon docking, as needed. Once camped we usually go for long walks during the day and the solar panels will recharge the batteries within one full day of sun. We do have an onboard Cummins LP generator just in case the solar panels need help.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:03 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I have seen smaller mini-splits (both Fujitsu and Mitsubishi make a 120V version around 12000 capacity) but you need a place to mount the external unit (usually on a bumper or tongue) and you'll lose the rear overhead cabinet in a Casita.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:08 PM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Many or probably most mini-splits are inverter powered compressors and fans and as such have little or no starting surge.
My No name (Comfort Aire) unit is easily run by my 2000 watt inverter generator. The max current drawn at 120 VAC. is 9 amps or less. Since this is an inverter system the current can be quite a bit less as we.
There are mounting issues, but in my case the total weight is about the same as the rooftop unit. Also the weight is lower for better stability.
Space for mounting the outside is an issue, but in my case when I had to repair and rebuild the front of the frame I extended it about 18" to give me the space.
I have seen pictures of the compressors mounted on the short standard tongues and in this case perhaps the LP tank could be mounted above or a shelf to mount the compressor could be made above the stuff already there.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:02 PM   #8

Name: Perry
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
California
Registry
I'm considering trying the MightyKool K2 evaporative cooler which runs off 12 volt power for boondocking and costs around $280. This unit will not cool down the entire trailer but when placed near you and the air flow directly at you will have a cooling effect. It's pretty efficient using 0.8-2.4 amps depending on fan speed.
EggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:17 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Evporative coolers only work in areas with low humidity.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:09 PM   #10

Name: Perry
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Evporative coolers only work in areas with low humidity.
Agree. Since I am on the West Coast should work for most of my camping needs. Here's a map of where evaporative coolers may be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Evaporative-Cooler-Effectiveness-Map.jpeg  
EggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:48 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggRoll View Post
Agree. Since I am on the West Coast should work for most of my camping needs.

You mean the WET Coast don't you?
Old 11-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
I'm considering trying the MightyKool K2 evaporative cooler which... costs around $280...
You can make a evaporative cooler for very little money (plans are on the internet). You might want to try that before spending (wasting?) so much money.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
An evaporative cooler will be of no real use along the Pacific coastal areas from Northern California on up through British Columbia. There is too much humidity for them to work properly. Not unusual to see high humidity summer and winter along the coastal route West of the mountain range that runs from north to south through those states. Eastern WA and OR has lower humidity so it might work there. Of course it would never work in the Olympic Peninsula rain forest, that has its own natural evaporative cooler already at work.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:53 PM   #14

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Agree. Since I am on the West Coast should work for most of my camping needs. Here's a map of where evaporative coolers may be helpful.
nonsensical map which is showing areas saying evaporative cooling will work when for sure in some of those areas it will not work. Toss that map into the trash pile.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:15 AM   #15

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
Excuse me! What else is needed to install in an existing ducted system? Will an older inside return dometic universal air distribution box (AD? I am using Dometic Brisk II Rooftop Air Conditioner
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:34 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Is there anything like the Arctus Nordic Caravan AC available in the US?

https://www.albionnordic.com/product...ic-caravan-ac/

I haven't been able to find anything so far.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:04 AM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Looks like an interesting AC design. They don't give very much information, such as voltage rating (my guess 220 vac), power consumption (my guess 250-300 watts), weight, physical dimensions, etc. It has 2 fans, one outside, one inside which could reduce the efficiency. From the pictures the total volume looks similar to a 5000 btu window unit. 2500 BTU is not a lot of cooling but is better than no AC. I didn't log in so I didn't get any pricing.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:44 AM   #18

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
Looks like an interesting AC design. They don't give very much information, such as voltage rating (my guess 220 vac), power consumption (my guess 250-300 watts), weight, physical dimensions, etc. It has 2 fans, one outside, one inside which could reduce the efficiency. From the pictures the total volume looks similar to a 5000 btu window unit. 2500 BTU is not a lot of cooling but is better than no AC. I didn't log in so I didn't get any pricing.
Yeah, it's not big enough for a large camper, but would work for my Escape 15A I would think. And it wouldn't be in the way like a floor standing portable would.

I assume it is set up for Euro spec electricity otherwise I would consider shipping one over from Sweden.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #19

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
Is there anything like the Arctus Nordic Caravan AC available in the US?

https://www.albionnordic.com/product...ic-caravan-ac/

I haven't been able to find anything so far.
For any interested I reached out to the manufacturer, and they responded that they do not make a North American spec version.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #20

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
My son uses this in his bedroom, need to be hooked up to shore power:
(Amazon)

COSTWAY 10000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Remote Control Dehumidifier Function Window Wall Mount (10,000 BTU)

There is a smaller 8000 BTU unit also:

COSTWAY 8000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner, 3-in-1 Air Cooler w/Built-in Dehumidifier, Fan Mode, Sleep Mode, Remote Control& LED Display, Rooms Up to 230+ Sq. ft, for Home Office (White)

Tags
air conditioning