Alternative rock guard for front window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2018, 12:18 PM   #1

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Alternative rock guard for front window

I have a Ventura and have been puzzling over the protection for the front window since I got it. A number of other owners have mentioned how the aluminum frame ones are too flimsy and the one on my trailer was beyond repair.
Last spring I was in a Vancouver trailer park and I noticed a vintage Airstream Argosy with a quilted vinyl cover on the curved front window. According to the owner, it was original.
I decided to try to replicate it for my trailer and to have it double as an awning for that window. So, I bought some marine vinyl, quilted it with a batting backing, sewed it to a Sunbrella fabric for the underside, attached a piece of awning rail for the top, put snap fasteners on the bottom and sides and put "Stick-a Stud"s on the trailer around the window. The result is a secure cover that has traveled well and that I do not have to worry about.
I still have to figure out how to make it function as an awning. I will use grommets in the lower corners but can't quite decide if I will use tent poles or some other way to hold it up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If anyone is interested in this type of cover, I would be happy to answer any questions or give more detail.
Pic 2 is os a stick on stud, available from Amazon .com. Sorry the trailer appears upside down. It is now stored for the winter so I cannot redo.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0386.jpg   IMG_0388.jpg  

Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
So I would see if I can use the existing snaps on the cover and the trailer to create the awning part. I would get two strips of stiff material(metal, plastic, etc.) and use snaps to attach it to either side of the quilted part using the snaps already on it. I would mount some kind or bracket on the bottom end on the strips. Then I would mount two more brackets onto the lower corners of the window using the two snaps on the trailer. I would then attach two poles to the brackets mounted on the trailer and on the strips attached to the quilted piece.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote