$#&^%!@# Dog holder - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2003, 09:30 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
>>the rope serves as a mental barrier

Great idea Herb!

However, I hope my wife doesn't read this and decide it would be a great way to contain me!

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 01:16 PM   #22

Here's a few links some with articles

http://www.e-collartraining.com/
http://www.dobbsdogs.com/library/index.html
http://www.altmoor.com/catalog/Selecting.html
http://www.gudgel.com/ecollar_conection.htm
http://www.finographics.com/schutzhund/obe...collarwork.html

happy hunting!
And, no, these are not for humans too!:crazy-ii

Old 07-21-2003, 06:11 PM   #23

Huskies

Many years ago I had a friend who raised huskies and raced them. He used to hitch them to an old Model T without the engine. They were in 7th heaven, pulling it !

I had a Husky of my own named Boris about the same time. He was the chicken catching champion of Sistersville, West Virginia...four in one day! He jumped out of my VW window as we drove through a rotary in Weeling, bit two dogs, and jumped back in before I made it all the way around.

I bought a harness for Boris and one of those old teeter-totter metal strollers. He pulled my daughter all over Pittsburgh. He was a perfect gentleman as long as she was in the stroller, but the moment I took her out he took off!

Huskies are tough. They are convinced that their decision making abilities and good sense are better than yours. Since they love you, they have to make sure you don't screw up. And most of them can't be bribed with treats.

You might consider killing two birds with one stone (excuse me, bird lovers) and hitch your dog to the trailer. I'll bet you get great mileage!

Old 07-22-2003, 12:14 AM   #24

I did tie her to the bumper for a bit, but the rig seems a bit heavy for her. Perhaps it takes two huskies to pull this thing.
Quote:
Huskies are tough. They are convinced that their decision making abilities and good sense are better than yours. Since they love you, they have to make sure you don't screw up. And most of them can't be bribed with treats.
Exactly! This is the exact description of the look on her face when I suggest something she doesn't want to do. Sort of a polite gimace, as though she doesn't want to hurt my feelings by telling me how dumb the idea is.

The only time I have ever seen her go into hyper protective mode was at a campground in Maine one summer. I'd had her nearly two years and we went to New England with two of my female friends. One night after several days fo rain we couldn't get the damp firewood to light. A well-dressed man came over and started telling us how we were doing it wrong. He and his wife offered to help us light it. "Knock yourself out," I said. Suddenly the dog went nuts. Barking, growling, lunging. She couldn't reach him, but she sure wanted to. I'll never know what set her off, but I've always trusted her judgement since then.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:08 PM   #25

Trust your dog's judgment!

When we lived in W. Va. I drilled two holes in the wooden kitchen floor, put big eye lag bolts through and chained the dogs to them so they could be inside without supervision while the neighbor kids played with my daughter.

There weren't many eligible men in the Ohio River Valley. One night the local optometrist came calling and the Akita and the Husky went nuts! The Akita pulled the lag bolt right out of the floor and took off after him. It was like the scene from Cujo...the man trying to turn over his engine, the dog growling and slobbering on the driver's side window! He finally got the car started and sped away, never to return.

Two or three years later...we were living in California by then...my W. Va. next door neighbor called. Some stray dogs were nosing around the optometrist's yard and unearthed human bones. Female bones.

The police dug up the yard and found two or three skeletons that had, apparently, belonged to single women without familes who had moved into the Valley.

I'm convinced that the dogs saved us. I will always take the dog's judgment over my own.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:56 PM   #26

The judgement of dogs

It's uncanny. It's a long story, but our last Rottweiler, Vito Luigi, saved my wife's life from a man who is now on death row in PA for the horrible murder of another female gallery owner. He is enshrined forever in both our hearts, and if he is not in heaven I refuse to go there myself (even if invited!).

I've provided a link to his memorial page on my wife's website.

http://www.brummett.net/vitomemorial.html

Old 07-23-2003, 11:01 AM   #27

Trust your dog's judgement

:wave
We have a seven year old female Dalmation named Velvet, who meets everyone at the door at our home. If she displays a dislike for someone, we have learned to respect this. We had a 16 y.o. (female) friend of my son's stay with us last summer, and if she met someone, she would bring him home to see what reaction the dog had. If the dog disapproved, He was not invited back.
Velvet has become very protective of the girlfriends of both of my sons as well.:chased
CHEERS

Old 07-23-2003, 09:06 PM   #28

But sometimes you wonder what they are thinking

Once when I was house hunting, I passed a place with FSBO sign in the yard. A guy who seemed to be in charge was in the yard working. I stopped and asked him about the house. He waved me toward the front door and I thought he meant for me to go inside. I walked inside and was looking around when two humongous dogs came up to me. Me, being me, I started talking to them. I kept walking and the dogs just followed me around. Every now and then one would nuzzle my leg. I'd pat him or her and keep walking

Well, the lady of the house walked into a room where I was obviously looking around. Not expecting me to be there, she started screaming when she saw me. When she screamed, I screamed. Then she screamed again. So, I screamed again. It was like an echo that kept repeating louder and louder. We were both scaring the hell out of each other.

The two dogs were looking back and forth at the two of us with a look of total confusion on their faces. Suddenly, the bigger dog ran to the other lady and barked at her furiously and the smaller (but by no means small dog) started barking at me in the same way. When the masters of the house calmed the humans down, we people were able to explain ourselves to each other.

I was so flustered by the experience I never went back to that house. But, I always wondered what kind of people would have dogs, who fortunately for me in that instance, didn't protect them. But then, the dogs probably knew them a whole lot better than I did. As I was leaving, I heard the yard man and lady (husband and wife) trying to figure out why the dogs didn't bother me. I heard him say,"She's probably a really nice lady." That didn't seem to go down that well with the Mrs.

Old 07-23-2003, 09:19 PM   #29

"I'm convinced that the dogs saved us. I will always take the dog's judgment over my own."

Good rule of thumb! As I said before, Kyra is as dumb as a pail of rocks, but she knows who is and isn't good to have around. And don't mess with her cats!

Old 07-24-2003, 06:37 AM   #30

A friend of mine has two dogs. A husky who's dumb as a lipstick, and a Malamute/Collie cross. The latter dog barks only at me whenever I come over. He doesn't bark at anyone else...

So I dunno. Maybe in a few years I'll have some reason to do something bad to my good friend there... Why else would the dog bark at me?

Or maybe he's also just dumb.

Old 07-24-2003, 03:19 PM   #31

About Benita Fern-Ellen's story

For what it's worth, Rottweilers have a well-known reputation for allowing strangers, even baddies, INTO a house, and then backing them up into a wall and not letting them leave. It's a kind of primitive contain-and-control instinct. I once had a experience with a Rott when I was visiting a friend. My friend wasn't in the yard so I figured she was in the house. I went in and hollered for her, but she wasn't there. Just as I was going out the door I saw her Rottie bitch coming up the walk. She had her head down, and was coming in a very, strange deliberate pace with her eyes on mine behind the door. I knew the dog, but not very well. Knowing this pen-'em-up characteristic of the breed I stepped back in and waited in the house 'til my friend showed up. Then the dog was happy to see me, bouncing around and licking my face.

I think when the dogs started barking at Benita and the woman in the house they were saying "Shut up! You're both being stupid!" (No offense, Benita.)

Old 07-25-2003, 09:47 AM   #32

Either that, or they were just enjoying a group holler. I've had pets where both seem to be the case. My current dog, a small breed whose brain is reflective of her size, is into the group holler thing. Any excuse to make noise. (She, by the way, is the last one I'd count on to be a judge of character -- she loves everybody, including those who clearly don't like her or us).

On the other hand, years ago I had a pet (at cat, as it happens), who did not like dischord in the home. When my sister and I would start arguing, the cat would come and stand between us, and howl menacingly until we shut up. The she'd glare at us, like she was saying, "I've about had it with you two idiots", and stomp off. I'm not kidding - it was a stomp!

Like people, each animal, even within a breed, has it's own personality, and it's own capacity for understanding. I've heard many stories of wonderful dogs who a) know a bad guy when they see one, and B) will defend their owner against any odds. But, not mine! Each pet, with a few exceptions (oh, the stories I could tell!), can be cherished on their individual merits.

Old 07-25-2003, 06:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Orginally posted by Herb Peyerl

A friend of mine has two dogs. A husky who's dumb as a lipstick, and a Malamute/Collie cross. The latter dog barks only at me whenever I come over. He doesn't bark at anyone else...

So I dunno. Maybe in a few years I'll have some reason to do something bad to my good friend there... Why else would the dog bark at me?

Or maybe he's also just dumb.
maybe you don't like dogs, Herb, and he knows it. :lol :duck

Old 07-26-2003, 10:51 PM   #34

e-collars

I have a cute little dog that is wonderful, (see picture on other thread) well behaved and loves EVERYBODY. But his only fault is that he is a runner. He wouldnt just take off unless given a reason, like a deer or snowmobile, other wise we have no problem at all. He just gets this "focus" and that is it. We finally got him an electric collar, and now he doesnt even think about it. We live on a lake, and he is really good all summer, but when the snowmobiles drive across the lake in winter, on the other side, or the deer cross the lake, he is gone. The collar works great, and stops him on a dime, and works for a good distance, because we usually dont walk around with the remote in our hand. this year we are hoping to get the fence done, so we wont have to worry about that either. But, I do recommend those collars, but they have to be used RIGHT. the one I have also has a warning beep, and we got to the point where we could use just the warning, which is nice. Now my lab needs a refresher course.
And as far as letting people in the house, I had 2 big dogs, and some friends came off of a canoe trip (about 5 of them) we had ran to the neighbors, and when we came home, they were all sitting in our house! Some watch dogs. They had never met ANY of them! I wanted better watch dogs when I replaced them, but my husband said he didnt want a "watch" dog, (or a dog that was going to bite him, he is afraid of dogs) so I only have God on my side and my instincts, if I meet anyone unsavory. On the other hand, we have ALOT of company, and I NEVER have to worry about them biting ANYONE. The stories could go on forever. but being a dog lover, I love reading them.

Old 07-26-2003, 11:24 PM   #35

Training collars

Hi Deb:wave

We have the same problem with our toy poodle. If she sees a rabbit, deer or even people she's gone, she always comes back and is fine unless she sees something but I worry and would like to stop her. I have thought of the collars but they seem so big for a little dog. Did you find them too big?

Old 07-27-2003, 08:15 AM   #36

Training collars

They come in different sizes, some of them pretty small. We are currently using Tritronics Multisport and Sport 60 units. The Sport 60 has a warning beep that you can use to communicate with your dog without giving him a hit. The Multisport has one controller for two collars, so you can work with two dogs at the same time. We have had very good luck with these units. We have a 37 pound Vizsla female and she has no trouble with the size of the unit. A chihuahua might! There are even smaller units than we have, but those don't have very much range. We used to use Radartron equipment, but can not recommend them now as their service department and "customer service" office is one of the worst I have ever dealt with.

Old 07-27-2003, 09:18 AM   #37

Deb, Just because they got in when you were gone, doesn't mean they would have made it inside if you had been there. We had a dump out dog, that fell in love with our family and us with her. She was part blue healer. Freindly, loved everyone. the man who filled the propane tank ''always'' put the bill in the front door by the knob. I worked at that time. one day she would not let him up on the porch. He had no idea why. it was easy, I was home that day. no way would she let him close. made me feel pretty safe.
She also hackeled up at the appearance of a new to us pickup. she didn't know it was us inside it until Tom said something. all friendly again. so you never know.

Old 07-27-2003, 03:07 PM   #38

Collars

Some of them are small. Mine was for a "small breed" and works fine on the lab too. It has 8 levels, and we tried it on ourselves first,(I thought that was fair) to know just how far to go. The first level is almost nothing, but the forth level made me jump, so if we have to go higher then that to get their attention, we KNOW how focused they are. All the dogs have had other obedience training too, so they are fully aware of what is right and wrong, so I dont have a problem using it.

Jana(?, forgot to look,duh) I had a black lab that on a whim I took to protection training. A cop was teaching it, and was very strict about it. He said the dog finished training, or he kept the dog. He woudlnt have a half trained dog out there. Well, we THOUGHT that my lab had potental, but a few weeks into class, he kicked us out, and said it would be a shame to take any more of my money. :loltu She
would never bite on comand, but it did make her "more" aggressive. (Not much more mind you. Not like I had to worry or anything) but she made people think when they came to the door. And I have noticed alot of dogs are more aggressive when their owners are around because they have more courage, knowing THEIR OWNERS will save THEM!:lol2

Old 07-28-2003, 12:28 PM   #39

We looked into collars to stop our Pomeranian from barking. We found that the small breed collars are still comparable to you wearing a motorcycle battery around your neck all day. Plus, you have to shave the neck of a long-haired dog so the probes can contact the skin, plus you have to tighten the collar way up, to the near-strangle point, for the same reason. The shock would have been the least traumatic part for the dog. We skipped it.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:39 AM   #40

I saw a training session on TV where you trained your dog not to pass a barrier until you said okay. they did a pole, dog chest high, then lowered to the floor a few inches at a time, then it turned into a rope. it was pretty cool. might work in the yard for short durations. Don't know. haven't tried it. :)