Another Screen Door, retractable - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Another Screen Door, retractable

Has anyone put in a retractable screen door?

Seiki Screen Systems - Vista Plus Roll Screen RH - VISTAPSCRN-RH - Home Depot Canada

Vista Screen Plus, retractable, adjustable, i think it is what Escape uses.
ralph Fergusson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
I have enjoyed a "Mirage" roll up screen door in our 13' Trillium for the last 5 years. It requires a "banana" made of 1" pine that brings the curved shape to a vertical. I ordered mine from the factory to the exact height of the door opening. It has been marvellous this year in the VERY hot Keys and the REALLY hot days at Gamble Rogers S P. It is the "Poor Man's A/C"
Drawback... a bit pricey!
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #3

How about some pics of the mirage screen and how it's mounted am looking at this mod myself thanx mike
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
I'd be interested in hearing about anybody's experiences with the Home Depot retractable door, or the mirage. I went in to HD to check one out (retractable door) in person, they'd never heard of it, and were surprised to find it on their site!

@Alistair, where did you get the Mirage?

Otherwise I've been considering ordering the Scamp door.
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
I'd be interested in hearing about anybody's experiences with the Home Depot retractable door, or the mirage. I went in to HD to check one out (retractable door) in person, they'd never heard of it, and were surprised to find it on their site!

@Alistair, where did you get the Mirage?

Otherwise I've been considering ordering the Scamp door.
We're considering adding the retractable ODL door. I saw one at HD and it worked very well. I just sent them an email at ODL.com asking them if I could cut it down to fit the Scamp. I've also seen one on EBay that can be cut down.

I believe it was $129.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #6

Florida
Just type your zip code in.

Norm

Dealer Locator for Mirage Retractable Screens | Where to Purchase
Old 04-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We're considering adding the retractable ODL door. I saw one at HD and it worked very well. I just sent them an email at ODL.com asking them if I could cut it down to fit the Scamp. I've also seen one on EBay that can be cut down.

I believe it was $129.

Norm
Thanks Norm. Part of the reason I wanted to see it in person too, was because I have young kids. I wanted to see how strong the spring was, and whether they could open it? Or not get whipped around when trying to! Any thoughts, if that stood out to you?

That was the only thing I liked about the scamp door, I think they could push/pull it okay. Otherwise, I'd rather have more screen area like the ODL door.
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Home depot screen
Buy a ODL 36 In. X 78 In. White Retractable Screen for 6 Ft. 8 In. Sliding Glass Short Height Out-Swing Doors - RTMXW01 at The Home Depot 
Name:   3n83k63l95T05U55R6b4j2639b02e67691790.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  6.2 KB
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
Thanks Norm. Part of the reason I wanted to see it in person too, was because I have young kids. I wanted to see how strong the spring was, and whether they could open it? Or not get whipped around when trying to! Any thoughts, if that stood out to you?

That was the only thing I liked about the scamp door, I think they could push/pull it okay. Otherwise, I'd rather have more screen area like the ODL door.
Luke,

I thought it was easy to operate. It probably depends on the age of your kids. You might contact the HD's in your area and give them a call. I've been to two with them mounted in the door isle.

Norm
Old 04-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Trillium 13 ft (California-made)
Registry
Alistair,

Any chance you can put up pictures of the "Mirage"? THANKS!

Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Camelford View Post
I have enjoyed a "Mirage" roll up screen door in our 13' Trillium for the last 5 years. It requires a "banana" made of 1" pine that brings the curved shape to a vertical. I ordered mine from the factory to the exact height of the door opening. It has been marvellous this year in the VERY hot Keys and the REALLY hot days at Gamble Rogers S P. It is the "Poor Man's A/C"
Drawback... a bit pricey!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #11

There was one in the home depot I went to yesterday. it was assembled in a display but it look liked something ran into it. Unfortunately it wasn't the best comparison.

Anyone who has a screen door in the Escape, most likely has one of these. I asked them and that's what they use.

Home depot had them on for 190 cnd (so what 40 in the US?) but I didn't find out if they had any in stock.

My worry is with a 12 yr old and a 3 year old, how long will it last?
ralph Fergusson is offline   Reply With Quote