Another toilet solution. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Another toilet solution.

In 2001 we bought a 35 ft MCI coach conversion, it had a 100 gallon combined black and grey tank. First major mod was to have a split tank made, 100 gallons grey 50 gallons black, was a very good mod.
Downsized to a Toyota Sunrader, which had combined grey & black, so after a few trips, decided that it was not practical to install a second tank, so whipped out the original throne and put in a porta pottie cassette toilet. Used the original tank as grey only. Gave us much more flexability, most of us have no problem with dropping greywater onto the ground, and the cassette can be emptied in many places, pit toilets, campground toilets, even construction site portables, made it possible to spend a month dry camping without needing to find a sani station.
First thing we did when we bought our Boler, was.... you guessed it replace the throne with a new cassette toilet, have done two extended trips of 5 months through Mexico, one place we stay at for a month or two lets us empty the toilet for a modest fee in the public washroom.
PS: My favorite wife is a retired microbiologist, and we are both very concerned with the health of the planet, as long as you do not hold the grey for more than a few days, there is no risk to life or limb. Have even been known to let the grey trickle out onto gravel roads while driving.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggcentric View Post
most of us have no problem with dropping greywater onto the ground, and the cassette can be emptied in many places, pit toilets, campground toilets, even construction site portables, made it possible to spend a month dry camping without needing to find a sani station.

Last BC Forest Service Campsite I visited had signs in the pit toilets prohibiting dumping porta pottis or cassette toilets. BC Parks don't want you dumping grey water because is contains food particles and attracts pests.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #3

BC
So when it comes to dumping grey water, what is the difference between a tenter tossing a basin of dishwater or taking an outdoor shower or putting tooth brushing water on the ground?

As far as prohibiting emptying cassettes into pit toilets, it is a silly rule with little thought. I very seldom use BC forestry sites, there are lots of other places to dry camp.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:29 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Last BC Forest Service Campsite I visited had signs in the pit toilets prohibiting dumping porta pottis or cassette toilets. BC Parks don't want you dumping grey water because is contains food particles and attracts pests.
Same for the vault toilets at the BLM Long Term Visitor areas in AZ & CA.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:33 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
So when it comes to dumping grey water, what is the difference between a tenter tossing a basin of dishwater or taking an outdoor shower or putting tooth brushing water on the ground?

As far as prohibiting emptying cassettes into pit toilets, it is a silly rule with little thought. I very seldom use BC forestry sites, there are lots of other places to dry camp.

If you are looking for an argument, I'm not interested.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:52 PM   #6

BC
The people who make these rules are not thinking, what is the difference between camping near a pit/vault toilet and toddling off to do your business, or doing your business in your rv then packing the same material off to the pit.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:52 PM   #7

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Ahem! Regrettably, rules are created that sometimes defy comprehension on first site. As a conformist anarchist, I don’t like people telling me what to do and how to do it but I also realise that sometimes the rules are there for a reason: not everyone is as intelligent/responsible/caring as me and select other like-minded people. Just look at the present pandemic and the people who don’t think it’s a real problem. I understand that a responsible person dumping grey water is not an issue but there is always the other guy. I took the grey water issue up with a campground owner and was astounded by what he had to contend with before the anti-grey water rules came into play.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:55 PM   #8

BC
No argument, you pointed out the rules in some camp sites, have no problem with you obeying.
The rules you cite, do not make sense, but neither you or I are going to get them changed.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:12 PM   #9

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
In 2001 we bought a 35 ft MCI coach conversion, it had a 100 gallon combined black and grey tank. First major mod was to have a split tank made, 100 gallons grey 50 gallons black, was a very good mod.

Downsized to a Toyota Sunrader, which had combined grey & black, so after a few trips, decided that it was not practical to install a second tank, so whipped out the original throne and put in a porta pottie cassette toilet. Used the original tank as grey only. Gave us much more flexability, most of us have no problem with dropping greywater onto the ground, and the cassette can be emptied in many places, pit toilets, campground toilets, even construction site portables, made it possible to spend a month dry camping without needing to find a sani station.

First thing we did when we bought our Boler, was.... you guessed it replace the throne with a new cassette toilet, have done two extended trips of 5 months through Mexico, one place we stay at for a month or two lets us empty the toilet for a modest fee in the public washroom.

PS: My favorite wife is a retired microbiologist, and we are both very concerned with the health of the planet, as long as you do not hold the grey for more than a few days, there is no risk to life or limb. Have even been known to let the grey trickle out onto gravel roads while driving.

I couldn’t agree more. The cassette toilet is our Snoozy is great. I would never want any other system. It is so flexible. I never travel very far with water in the gray tank either. Of I course we don’t dump it if we are in a prohibited location.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:37 PM   #10

North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
I couldn’t agree more. The cassette toilet is our Snoozy is great. I would never want any other system. It is so flexible. I never travel very far with water in the gray tank either. Of I course we don’t dump it if we are in a prohibited location.

I was just reading about the 500-700 K Earthroamer LTi. It has a cassette toilet..
Old 05-02-2020, 02:57 PM   #11

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
most of us have no problem with dropping greywater onto the ground....
Probably fewer than you think. <_<
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:54 PM   #12

BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
Ahem! I took the grey water issue up with a campground owner and was astounded by what he had to contend with before the anti-grey water rules came into play.
Thought it went without saying that dumping anything on private property without the owners permission is pretty rude behaviour.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:58 PM   #13

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Rules, rules, One time I answered a request for me as a business owner to make a donation to some worthy cause or other and I replied that I could not reply to a telephone request in any manner as the company rules did not allow for it. They said that was a ridiculous rule, and my answer was "you work in a company and don't they have ridiculous rules too?"
All organizations have some ridiculous rules. Logic does not apply. Rules, you know.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:08 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Thought it went without saying that dumping anything on private property without the owners permission is pretty rude behaviour.
I , like most American’s have money invested in our County , State , and Federal parks , forest lands , BLM properties and national monuments
As one of the land owner I expect you to respect my property and follow my rules
If you want to dump your sewage as you see fit then go buy a large piece of land and make up your own rules .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:02 AM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Dumping grey water

@Eggcentric, hope I'm not butting in here, but I have to think the prohibition on dumping potty tanks into vault toilets, is related to the risk of contaminating areas that other users could come into contact with. Can you imagine making a potty trip in the dark, and sitting down on slime?
DaveMinBako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #16

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
New Mexico
Quote:
As far as prohibiting emptying cassettes into pit toilets, it is a silly rule with little thought.
Actually, it's really not a "silly rule". Pit toilets are designed/dug with a projected usage in mind - capacity based on campground size - which allows nature to take over, control oder and decompose.

When people start dumping the contents of their cassette toilets, they can quickly overwhelm the pits capacity (as well as potentially missing the opening as Dave pointed out). The cassette holds considerably more waste than the average person does in a given... uh, dump.

Rules are made not because some control freak is out to get you, but rather because people sometimes forget they're not the only ones in this world...

"The trouble with trouble is that it always starts out as fun"
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:56 PM   #17

North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post

Actually, it's really not a "silly rule". Pit toilets are designed/dug with a projected usage in mind - capacity based on campground size - which allows nature to take over, control oder and decompose.

When people start dumping the contents of their cassette toilets, they can quickly overwhelm the pits capacity (as well as potentially missing the opening as Dave pointed out). The cassette holds considerably more waste than the average person does in a given... uh, dump.

Rules are made not because some control freak is out to get you, but rather because people sometimes forget they're not the only ones in this world...

I don’t follow the logic. What would the difference be between someone dumping a cassette than the same people using the toilet for a number of days instead?

I agree that most of the time rules are useful but there are control freaks out there.

I have never dumped a cassette in a vault toilet. Most of the campgrounds we have stayed at with vault toilets also had dump stations. Having dumped cassettes over several years I have never made a mess. The idea that cassettes are nasty must have come from people who have never used one.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:22 PM   #18

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Aren't some vault toilets pumped out? If that's the case any restrictions may be the work of the "extraction" company. They may know what their equipment can handle. I would not presume that a rule is random nonsense and might want to investigate before I chose to ignore it.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:34 AM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Aren't some vault toilets pumped out? If that's the case any restrictions may be the work of the "extraction" company. They may know what their equipment can handle. I would not presume that a rule is random nonsense and might want to investigate before I chose to ignore it.
That is what makes a vault toilet vaulted, it only holds the waste for it to be picked up and taken to be processed at a waste treatment facility.

As for the rules that others are complaining about.
A vault toilet has a finite capacity. It is designed for individuals to use it.
When someone selfishly dumps their 5 gallon cassette in a vault it’s not that big of a deal the real problem is when 100 people do it those 500 gallons really add up. Add to that that there are many people who are incapable of being clean while dumping their waste. It is not surprising there are rules like this.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:12 PM   #20

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
I don’t follow the logic. What would the difference be between someone dumping a cassette than the same people using the toilet for a number of days instead?

Very simple logic - that of capacity - both of the pit toilet and that of what you're dumping... rarely, when I go to the bathroom, do I dispose of 5 gallons (or more), at a "sitting"...

If there are a a number of folks dumping cassettes, those 5+ gal. each add up quickly and some of those folks might not be as careful as you, charlsara, when disposing of the contents.

Some folks are incredibly messy, even with cassettes.

Simple logic.

"The trouble with trouble is that it always starts out as fun"
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote