Anyone had their trillium or Boler "Vehicle wrapped" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Trillium 13'
Ontario
Anyone had their trillium or Boler "Vehicle wrapped"

Hi All..Im looking at either painting my green trillium or having a vehicle wrap done (preferred) anyone had this done to their Egg?.
Cheers
Dave
MoDZuKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
"Wraps" were mentioned earlier and the drawbacks seems to be that they were very expensive and were not intended to be a permanent covering and would have to be removed and replaced.

I had very good luck repainting my Hunter Compact-II using Interlux Briteside Polyurethane Marine coatings. Using the prescribed undercoat and applying several coats using the roll-and-tip method it came out looking sprayed on.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Here are some previous threads
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nds-52805.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-72258.html
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Someone in this area had a Boler wrapped and I think it lasted about 3 years or so before the started having issues with it starting to lift due to rock chips etc...
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #5

Name: Arne
Trailer: Boler 1975
Email
I did the same think Bob did with my 1974 Boler. I pained with Interlux Briteside Polyurethane Marine coatings and got fantastic results. It's easy to apply and very reasonably priced.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1448673785.552478.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	90833

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
ArneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #6

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Wraps have come a LONG WAY since that first post above in 2012. The material and styles offered at SEMA this month in VEGAS from AVERY DENNISON and others (wrap material manufacturers) has come a long way since their real first commercial introduction back in 2000.

My 22 foot 1989 Featherlite aluminum enclosed car trailer has been wrapped with the same wrap since 2002. Is it still perfect? Hell No. Is it still presentable? Absolutely YES! This trailer has sat OUTSIDE everyday since 2002. The "warranty" on my wrap was 5 years. I'd say I DEFINITELY got my moneys worth and more! It STILL sure beats looking at white sided trailer after all these years!

The price of wrap material has come down in price and significantly increased in quality. The 2 major expenses for a wrap are the the installation labor (Learn and do it yourself) and the ink to PRINT all those wonderful graphics. Simple designs are not all that expensive. Elaborate designs are a whole nother matter. You are only limited by your creativity and imagination. STOCK wrap material can be purchased now from vendors such as https://www.fellers.com/ and others. Want Cammo? No problem! Go to Fellers site and request a catalog. You will be AMAZED at the already printed stock wrap material you can buy to wrap your trailer. I guaranty you will find "something" you like!

Depending upon the quality of the paint you use to "paint" your trailer that paint can also look like crap in 5 years without proper care/storage. A good quality wrap today can also easily equal 5 years. REMEMBER a paint job and a wrap are like carpet in your house. Every 5-8 years you expect to replace that crappy dirty carpet as it IS a wear item OR you are just plain TIRED of the look. A wrap is much easier to change the appearance of your trailer than a paint job. Besides you do not have to have that expensive full color design on the complete trailer. You can use solid color wrap with a combination of printed wrap in your design. You can wrap a trailer in one solid color in your want. How about that new 60's style glitter wrap from Avery Dennison that is brand new and demo'd at SEMA this month? You do something KOOL with that wrap in different colors with a solid color. You can also wrap a section of the trailer and use the underlying paint for the solid color to save some moolah, It's all about the quality of the wrap material, types of ink used for the design on the wrap material AND the quality of the installation of the wrap.

Cost? It can be cheaper to wrap, more expensive to wrap or the same cost as painting your trailer. YOU have decide that and which option is best for you. Quite frankly in MY OPINION most painted older fiberglass trailer look like CRAP as they are usually one color with paint in POOR condition.

Why not add some style/camper to your camper with a wrap?

"I" think a WRAP is the perfect solution for "Personalizing" your "Fiberglass Egg"!!!!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Operators are standing by.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #8

Tennessee
Awaiting your call Roger!!!
Old 11-28-2015, 12:08 PM   #9

Tennessee
Here are pics of my 13 year old wrap.

The worst part of the graphics is the white lettering which is the actual base vinyl which is faded and showing cracks. The rest of the vinyl which is printed with color still look great!

Upon return from the wrapper "I" sealed all the edges of the vinyl with clear silicon caulk. Only now 13 years later do I now start to see ANY issue of lifting and that is only on the seams. The part of the wrap that has "Weathered" the worst if the front section wrap on the trailer. That "Green" on the bottom edge of the trailer should show you convincingly that this trailer does sit outside all the time! Since it's warm today that's a good job for me to go and wash the trailer.

Sorry for the mismatched wheels on the trailer. I have currently have all new tires installed along with the matching aluminum wheels re-installed on the trailer. Every now and then you can have a flat tire!
Attached Thumbnails
20151128_120021_resized.jpg   20151128_120038_resized.jpg  

20151128_120057_resized.jpg  
Old 11-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #10

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
I'm not familiar with "wrapping" but have seen some pretty lousy paint jobs. The right paint is important but from what I've seen the problem is usually poor preparation. I saw a Boler when first looking for a trailer that the owner said had been, "professionally" painted - they'd painted right over silicone!

Unless the body has extensive damage, my preferred solution is to clean up the oxide and Zep. It makes the fiberglass look new again and you can spruce it up with with a little bit of decorative work. My Zep job will need a touch up next season, after three summers. Not bad for a floor wax!
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #11

Quote: "Quite frankly in MY OPINION most painted older fiberglass trailer look like CRAP as they are usually one color with paint in POOR condition."
(Since deleted from original post)

Hmmmm, that sound like a closing line from Gone With the Wind....

Are you are talking about aged FGRVs that haven't had decent care, and were owner painted over the gel-coat (most weren't factory painted)? Yep they can look like that. Most that I have seen in that condition were more often a result of improper painting with stuff like Rustoleum lawn furniture paint, spray cans, and even house paints.

But, is a wrap going to look any better as it deteriorates, especially if it is applied over paint already in poor condition? I think not.

And not all FGRV's were white. The Hunter Compacts were offered in 6 different colors of Gel coat, and the top and the bottom could mix or match colors. My 1973 stared life White over Blue, was repainted copper over brown by it's original owner, which stayed in very presentable condition from when it was repainted in 1975, until I got it in 2012. And it is now all white with graphics added.

And I don't need to be told what's the current "Style" or what's "Trending". Like Las Vegas itself, much of "What happens at SEMA, Can Stay at SEMA". Putting 2015 styles on an egg is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Cost: A DIY FGRV repaint, using the best marine coatings, such as Interlux Brightside Polyurethane finish, will cost about $250-$300 in materials and is at the DIY level, using the proven roll-and-tip method of application. Unlike carpeting, I consider a repaint "one and done", so I do it right the first time.

A novice trying to do a wrap on a compound curve egg sounds like a recipe for a lot of problems and eventual failure. It's hard enough to wrap decal stripes and graphics on compound curves, much less an entire sheet of graphics.

And when one wants to sell, that cammo, zebra stripe or custom graphics wrap will usually reduce your buying audience and/or price, at least to those with $$$ in their pockets.

Wraps are great for advertising and/or attracting attention, but maybe not much so on FGRV's, and certainly are not for everyone.

I'll wait to see some real, non-advertising, examples, as should others.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:26 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Quote: [I][B]I'll wait to see some real, non-advertising, examples, as should others.
Why should advertising make any difference????

My pictures were posted to show everyone what a 13 year old wrap looks like on a trailer that has sat outside for 13 years and the appearance of that wrap after all that time. The subject matter of the wrap is irrelevant.

It's safe to say the this "group" is a little OLDER and not "Hip" to the latest trends and being "Hip" is not at all what my post was all about. My post was to suggest to the OP the latest wrap technology is something to consider however the latest style trends is not a subject to which I suggested an opinion. My comparison to carpet and home trends was to illustrate the ease to which changes in appearance can be made with a wrap nothing more. To each their own.

My posts are replying to the OP about his questions about wraps and just as you have provided I also gave my opinion of why "I" think a wrap is a great alternative to your preference of paint. To each his own.

I made NO mention about "Style" or what's Trending" (your words from above). I did mention the new quality options available from the wrap industry manufacturers and the installation techniques that were shown and demonstrated at SEMA. The fact that these new technologies were displayed at SEMA really has little to do making a judgement about wraps and their usefullness on trailers. IF you are truly interested in wrap technology you can attend the national trade show for the wrap industry to be held once again in Indianapolis in 2016. This could be your opportunity to see this technology firsthand before you make a judgement on it's usefullness on trailers.

Wrapping anything has no comparison to installing a stripe or decal as you mentioned above on a compound curve or surface. The vinyl is manufactured totally different due to use and the installation techniques are very different.

As I did state go to the website mentioned (they are just a re-seller of the tools of that trade) and you can see all the different styles, patterns and colors available. Just like going to the paint store. You are only limited by your own imagination.

All we should be doing here is providing insight and experience to answer the questions raised by the OP and SHARE our personal knowledge and experiences about the subject "wrapping" a trailer. As is always the case we may have a different opinion on any subject. The one aspect I can add to this discussion that I have first hand experience over long period of time with a wrap on a trailer.

No way I would go back to paint!!!

As far as resale value you have a GREAT point. I may not like your wrap just as I may not like the paint color of a trailer. I agree that you should always consider resale when modifying/upgrading your trailer as trailers are inevitably sold at some point. Your right in that Camo ain't everyone's preference.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:46 PM   #13

I mentioned non-commercial only because a commercial application might not have the same concerns about cost and would more apt to have had the entire job done professionally, whereas you are suggesting that this is a DIY task, perhaps with on the job learning. Perhaps I should have suggested waiting until a DIY job or two, on an FGRV, was available for evaluation and consideration.

Several of the advertisements for SEMA invited attendees to come and see what's new and what's trending in automotive design, that's all. And yep, according to the current poll, we, as a group, are a bit older, and have learned that being "Hip" or "Trending", isn't all that important in the scheme of things.

And your flat surface trailer looks great as a rolling advertisement for your business.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:49 PM   #14

Tennessee
Bob you should see the wraps that are installed on the vehicles at SEMA. INCREDIBLE!

Compound curves, mirrors, door jambs it makes no difference. The ability to stretch and conform the wrap to these surfaces is amazing and seamless. The condition of the underlying surface is more of an issue that the shape of the object to be wrapped!
Old 11-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #15

Tennessee
Here are some video's from a pro concerning all aspects of vehicle wrapping.

The video information will should "wrap" up the discussion of DIY wrapping of a trailer and provide some information as to the process of "Rapping" a vehicle or trailer and information for the soon to be DIY trailer owner.

"Rapping"? Maybe we should call "Vanilla Ice" for advice on "Wrapping" on his HGTV show!

https://www.fellers.com/videos/arlon...t-right-videos

This first video about the worlds fastest wrap is interesting.

Here is another "How To" video on a wrap that gives you a good lesson in seeing what's involved. Watch the bottom video at about 21 minutes to see what's involved with compound surfaces such as a mirror.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #16

That's all very interesting and I am really waiting to see some applications on FGRV's. As you mentioned, the underlying surface is critical to successful installation and I think that one of the objectives of the original post was to look at a wrap vs. repainting. But I will be looking with some anticipation for something on an FGRV.

Of the many videos I saw on the last SEMA it seems like rat rods are in, or, what's old is new.
Here are a few pics of my rat rods. The all metal Deuce and the 40 Deluxe Coupe were both built when I was in High School and in the Navy, 1957-1963 Not shown is the Pontiac powered 1953 Studebaker Starlight Hardtop that I also built while in H.S.
The Meyers Manx SR2 was built for my late son in the 90's.

Attached Thumbnails
img103.jpg   img104.jpg  

img105.jpg   img106.jpg  

img107.jpg  
Old 11-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #17

Tennessee
Jacked up trucks and as always Jeeps.

That's the theme for SEMA 2015

How about this??

Some of these are ugly as hell but a "Wrap" on a fiberglass trailer none the less!

https://www.google.com/search?q=fibe...HZreAg8QsAQIHA
Old 12-07-2015, 01:01 AM   #18

Name: playadiver
Trailer: Jubilee by Trillium
California
Registry
i put a wrap on the front and back of trillium jubilee, worked great!
playadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:04 AM   #19

Name: playadiver
Trailer: Jubilee by Trillium
California
Registry
i have put a wrap on the front and back of a trillium jubilee and it worked great.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0343.JPG   IMG_0342.JPG  

playadiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, trillium