Awning in a bag - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Awning in a bag

Greetings;

We are the proud owners of a new Bag Awning. Got it all assembled, mounted on the factory installed rail and realized the awning height adjustment was really limited due to the opening swing of the door. I suppose one option is to put a line or something on the door to prevent it opening into the top rail - that would give us more height adjustment options. Anybody have other ideas? Run into the same problem/issue? Thanks...
skyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There is a little roller made to go on the top corner of the door to prevent the door from catching in the awning. Another thing may be that the awning rail is not far enough above the door. I have the rail mounted 8" above the door on our Uhaul. I lower the pole farthest from the door for good water runoff when it rains.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:05 PM   #3

Ontario
Lowering the post away from the door is a good idea. I'm not sure what the catch is that you refer to in your post - my bad... Our problem is the doey-thingys that hold the horizontal pole on the trailer should be mounted high on the curve of our Boler. This means the stress on the doey-thingys is more vertical than horizontal - like a shear load. I am gluing some wedges together - the kind that are used in laminate floor installation - to make a "super wedgey" that will straighten the load out somewhat - I hope...
Old 07-22-2017, 12:55 PM   #4

New York
Not a "catch" as in a piece of hardware, I'm talking about a roller on the top outer corner of the door so it doesn't drag or stick on the awning
Old 07-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyaki View Post
Lowering the post away from the door is a good idea. I'm not sure what the catch is that you refer to in your post - my bad... Our problem is the doey-thingys that hold the horizontal pole on the trailer should be mounted high on the curve of our Boler. This means the stress on the doey-thingys is more vertical than horizontal - like a shear load. I am gluing some wedges together - the kind that are used in laminate floor installation - to make a "super wedgey" that will straighten the load out somewhat - I hope...
The keywords needed for your search are "RV awning roller". Those words will bring up ads offering them for sale. There are a couple of styles, one is a ball the other is a wheel in a bracket, they both attach to the door to prevent it from getting caught up when moving under the awning or when the awning is moving over the door.

The ball makes good sense to me as far as design goes since it is not inhibited in function by the direction of travel.

Unfortunately doey-thingys is not a valid keyword for a search as it does not generate even one return from the internet for any kind of manufactured object. Such objects are generally called rails, brackets, sockets or mounting plates depending on what style of mount was used with that particular bag awning system.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:32 PM   #6

Ontario
Found a site that sells the roller balls you mentioned - thanks for the tip. The same site sells Klippy Klips. While I do not need Klippy Klips right now I may in the future - who knows. Also, this product has a nice "ring" to it - I will try to work Klippy Klips into future conversations. Honestly, the things that keep me awake at nights...
Old 07-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #7

New York
Klippy Clips are great for stringing lights along an awning. We have them to hang our vintage Pillsbury Doughboy lights.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
When we bought our Boler it came with a bag awning. The former owner fashioned a piece of wood that wedges between the rain gutter and the awning to push it up at that section. It worked fine so I kept it.

A low tech fix.
Attached Thumbnails
20170726_232119.jpg  
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:16 PM   #9

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
I have a bag awning on my 73 boler, its mounted on the factory? track. When fully extended and the support poles adjusted up high my door has a couple inches clearanceClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0633.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	109467
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning