Awning Options for 17 ft Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #1

Name: Craig
Trailer: 17' Casita Spirit Delux
Delaware
Awning Options for 17 ft Casita

Just purchased a 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe with no Factory Installed Awning. Looking for different options. I have looked into the Fiamma Awning and watched some U tube videos of one being installed on a 17 Ft Casita. I don't think I want to try to do that myself, but I am sure there is some other option for an awning that I can install myself. If anyone can make a recommendation and or suggest another option for an awning on the 17 ft Casita I would appreciate it. I know that some people do not use thier awnings enough to justify the expense of the Fiamma. But, I think it would be nice, sometimes to have something to keep the direct sun off the trailer entry door and give one a place to put a chair that is in the shade.
ccornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:46 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Craig I do have a new Bag awning I am selling for $150 + shipping, it is a 9 footer but if interested PM me and I will give details.
I put one on my Boler and it wasn't to big of a job but I did have to buy a different channel to go on the room and that took a lot of drilling and riveting. been 4 years now and no leaks.
Let me know.
Maybe you can pick it up and save the cost of shipping.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:47 AM   #3

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Awnings

We've had a few RVS with awnings. If it is not quick and easy to use it will be seldom used. A roll out awning like a Fiamma is the only style we care for. This does not mean you will not enjoy another type awning. I think the extra cost is well worth it. I bet if you took your time and looked at another Casita with a Fiamma you could install the Fiamma. Ron
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:46 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Well, some people like the Fiamma awnings. I however was never a fan of it. I took mine off and sold it. It never impressed me in the way they chose to mount it, using some aftermarket "shop-made" mounting brackets to mount an awning that was designed to be mounted on the flat vertical side of a "stick-built" trailer. It was never designed for being mounted to a curved surface, and it totally ruined the lines and symmetry of the trailer. That, coupled with the fact that it wasn't sealed to the side of the trailer in any manner that would prevent rain from just cascading down the side and splashing off the belly band on everything under it that was close to the trailer. (And yes, I tried all those half-assed methods of sealing the gap, everything from those stupid pool noodles, to "gooped in" sections of plastic gutter material, etc.) All it did was create a tadpole breeding ground on the roof, which was also the most miserable thing to try and clean out. Totally useless IMO. And don't ever leave it unattended for five minutes, because any gust of wind will have it beating against your fiberglass trailer when it gets partially ripped off by the wind.

My preferred retrofit was to install a section of aluminum Keder rail, and use a slide-in awning that I slip into the track when I get where I'm going and slide out and fold up for traveling. Light weight, works much better because it seals the gap between the trailer shell and the awning itself. And the trailer just looks better without that ugly "afterthought" Fiamma installation. Just my two cents.
Attached Thumbnails
Keder Rail1 (Small).JPG   Keder Rail2.JPG  

Vacation2018 052 (Medium).JPG   Vacation2018 053 (Medium).JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Another option. For about the same budget, you can get a complete outdoor living room that protects from Sun, Rain, moderate wind, and bugs. Holds 4-6 easily or covers a picnic table. Really sets up in 45 seconds. Placement & view are up to you. Big increase in sq ft. under roof.

Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:17 PM   #6

Name: Craig
Trailer: 17' Casita Spirit Delux
Delaware
Awning options

Thank you for the responces pertaining to awning options for my 2015 , 17 ' Casita. After careful conseration of three options. 1) Fiamma, 2) Aluminium track with slide in tarp, and 3) the Clam shelter I have decided to go with options #2 and #3. The Track and slide in tarp will be quick and simple. And I think an option which is a better fit for me on my Casita than the Fiamma. Option #3 takes the awning to a whole new level and will provide a means to escape the insects. Both of these options can be had for much less money than the Fiamma option.
Thanks to those who responded which helped me firm up my decision.
ccornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:33 PM   #7

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
This might work for you. They also have walls and screen attachments to create a screen room.
Ezy Awning Plus - LARGER Version - Gray
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 11:36 AM   #8

Name: Babs
Trailer: Casita
NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Well, some people like the Fiamma awnings. I however was never a fan of it. I took mine off and sold it. It never impressed me in the way they chose to mount it, using some aftermarket "shop-made" mounting brackets to mount an awning that was designed to be mounted on the flat vertical side of a "stick-built" trailer. It was never designed for being mounted to a curved surface, and it totally ruined the lines and symmetry of the trailer. That, coupled with the fact that it wasn't sealed to the side of the trailer in any manner that would prevent rain from just cascading down the side and splashing off the belly band on everything under it that was close to the trailer. (And yes, I tried all those half-assed methods of sealing the gap, everything from those stupid pool noodles, to "gooped in" sections of plastic gutter material, etc.) All it did was create a tadpole breeding ground on the roof, which was also the most miserable thing to try and clean out. Totally useless IMO. And don't ever leave it unattended for five minutes, because any gust of wind will have it beating against your fiberglass trailer when it gets partially ripped off by the wind.

My preferred retrofit was to install a section of aluminum Keder rail, and use a slide-in awning that I slip into the track when I get where I'm going and slide out and fold up for traveling. Light weight, works much better because it seals the gap between the trailer shell and the awning itself. And the trailer just looks better without that ugly "afterthought" Fiamma installation. Just my two cents.
I just bought a 2005 Casita Freedom Deluxe and am happy to see your post because we had an awning with the track on our popup camper. I could roll it up into the awning bag and zip it up. Also no rain came in bewtween the popup and the awning. Any more info that I might need to know would be appreciated.
bcnewton50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 11:40 AM   #9

NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post

PS, the downside is that the awning does not come over the top of the door.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:01 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcnewton50 View Post
PS, the downside is that the awning does not come over the top of the door.
I think that was more the choice of the individual rather than a necessity of the design. It would have to be mounted higher on the shell to clear the door, making it harder to reach when installing. That is a problem with any removeable awning on a taller trailer like a Casita: you might need a stepstool to reach the attachment points.

Bus Depot makes some nice (and relatively inexpensive) options with domed canopies to shed rain. They have several attachment methods, including suction cups and hooks that attach with VHB tape for a no-holes set-up. The larger 8x11 model would give good coverage on a Casita. Sidewalls are also available. (And I just caught that Alex already provided a nomination and link back in 2018, so consider this a second...)

None are as convenient as attached hard-case awnings from Fiamma or Carefree, and that's worth considering if your travel style involves short stays and frequent moves.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 12:30 PM   #11

NC
Greg, I had a bag awning with a track on a popup I use to have. I see you are using that type on your Casita. Could you give me the brand info, etc. please. How has it worked out for you since 2018? Thanks!
Old 09-21-2022, 01:56 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Greg's is not a bag awning but a variation of the rope-and-pole variety. It uses the same type of awning rail but must be removed from the track and stored inside the trailer or tug for towing.

A bag awning rolls into a bag that can remain on the rail for towing. Bag awnings have additional supports- eave rail and rafters- that rope-and-pole awnings lack.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 01:23 PM   #13

Name: Michelle
Washington
We have the Fiamma on our 2011 Casita SD, and I like it. One of the things Casita neglected to mention when we picked up our SD in Rice was that the Dometic refrigerator stops working when temps hit a certain degree.

Ours did that repeatedly until we did two things.

One, the awning helps in keeping the refrigerator side of the camper shaded. That helps the fridge from working so hard to keep things cool.

THis is off topic, but on our first three camping trips, the refrigerator kept faulting out, shutting down for no reason that we could discern. It took us several trips -and advice from an old Casita hand, that the awning serves a purpose, that of keeping the side shaded. Now,unless we think it's going to rain, we always deploy the awning.

But we also discovered that the ''''techs''' at Casita aren't too careful when they install the refrigerator fan. It's supposed to blow air onto the fins behind the refrigerator (in between the exterior wall of the camper and the back of the fridge, where all the pipes are). But it was Friday, I guess, and the installer had the oh what the heck, it's Miller time, install it any old place and let's go home.

The original fan had been set so low down the side that it did nothing to cool the fins. It's air flow was so weak that any air movement it created was lost before it hit the fins. And the thermometer was set at 100 degrees.
In addition, the POS rack that Casita had installed to hold the single fan was held on by two flimsy bolts. One end of the rack had already separated from the wall. We luckily discovered that before the rack fell off the wall completely. So what air it was blowing wasn't blowing on the fins..just the side of the camper.

So we removed it and modified the fan set up. We installed TWO computer cooling fans, ones that moved a lot of air fairly quickly and put them right underneath the fins. And the thermometer we bought was set at 80 degrees.

Since that time..well, I keep my fingers crossed any time I make such a statement,but after modifying the fan set up, up until now, the fridge has stayed working, even if we don't put out the awning. My only problem is the fans are a bit noisy, but I would rather have a noisy fan than lose a refrigerator full of food. Besides, my husband does NOT care for warm beer.

And, aesthetically speaking, I like the awning, for no other reason than it makes the camper look a bit cozy, like home.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 02:03 PM   #14

Name: Steven
NV
I installed a Fiamma 45s on my 17 Casita Sprit Delux. Critical that you measure where to put the mounting brackets correctly. There are only three but must be located with care. The awning is heavy but two can lift it onto the brackets fairly easily, than just drill the holes for the attachment screws, (I used one screw to attach the awning to each bracket. Takes about four hours from start to finish.
I do have a broken FIAMMA awning that other than the inside left support elbow it is in good condition but I did not want to fool with fixing the elbow. New the awnings are about $1100 plus shipping I would sell the broken one for $300 and you pay the shipping. Will include new crank and bracketts as I didn't need the new ones ordered.
email me at welchst@yahoo.com if interested.
Welchst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, casita