Awning options other than Fiamma - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2017, 06:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Awning options other than Fiamma

The Catalina 2500 awning on our 01 19' Scamp may have seen its last trip. My original thoughts were to replace it with a Fiamma but, after the recent tragedy at their Orlando facility, it appears they are 'closed until further notice'. I've reached out to Scamp for availability but have not yet received a reply.

We often camp on NC's Outer Banks where wind can be an issue so something that can be easily and quickly deployed/retracted and with vertical legs that can be staked down and guyed is preferred. In searching here, I've found a couple of references to Colorado Carefree - anyone with experience to share and specific model recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any input and hope everyone is having a great Fourth.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:25 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We are familiar with what the wind can do on the Outer Banks, saw it flip over a pop-up camper and collapse the roofs on a couple others. We still have the 2500 awning on our Casita, stake down the legs, guy ropes off the corners, and deflappers on the ends. Sorry, no recommendations for a replacement.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #3

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
The Dometic A&E awning on my Bigfoot may be worth a look. It's very sturdy and can be staked to the ground.

Walt
Old 07-03-2017, 09:41 AM   #4

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
The Catalina 2500 awning on our 01 19' Scamp may have seen its last trip. My original thoughts were to replace it with a Fiamma but, after the recent tragedy at their Orlando facility, it appears they are 'closed until further notice'. I've reached out to Scamp for availability but have not yet received a reply.

We often camp on NC's Outer Banks where wind can be an issue so something that can be easily and quickly deployed/retracted and with vertical legs that can be staked down and guyed is preferred. In searching here, I've found a couple of references to Colorado Carefree - anyone with experience to share and specific model recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any input and hope everyone is having a great Fourth.

Al
Very sad to hear about Fiamma . Besides those that lost their life's , so many impacted at the plant , losing their jobs . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #5

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
We opted for a Clam Pavilion instead of an awning. When properly staked and guyed, It can withstand some pretty fierce wind. When the wind can't keep the bugs away, the screen sides will. With the the flaps down, it makes for a warm spot in cold weather. The Clam is our dinning room, sitting room, or guest room when needed. Also, it was cheaper than an awning for our Casita.
pete_britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:12 PM   #6

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Cool Carefree for a Scamp?

I am unable to close my Catalina 2500 by myself, and tried setting up a clam-style awning.. takes more than one person and too difficult for a single small gal. The only time I can use my awning (still in great condition) is when my 17 yo grandson is with me.

Has anyone attached a Carefree Pioneer crank-style awning to their Scamp?
Thanks for any feedback.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:18 PM   #7

Name: September
Trailer: Happier Camper
North Carolina
We have a Eureka Northern Breeze. When staked out it can withstand strong winds. Pros: screens and walls, huge, can fit over picnic table and use as floorless tent. Cons: expensive, takes 2 to put up, blue color makes it a bit dark inside.
Toxdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:18 PM   #8

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
... and tried setting up a clam-style awning.. takes more than one person and too difficult for a single small gal.
Maybe a "clam-style" is different from a Clam Pavilion. A true Clam is easy for one short person to set-up. But you may need to attach a pull rope or use a step-stool so that you can reach the center tab to take it down
pete_britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxdoc View Post
We have a Eureka Northern Breeze. When staked out it can withstand strong winds. Pros: screens and walls, huge, can fit over picnic table and use as floorless tent. Cons: expensive, takes 2 to put up, blue color makes it a bit dark inside.
We also have a Eureka Northern Breeze. We have used it as a living room / dining room with the picnic table, two chairs, TV, dorm fridge and microwave in it. There is a you tube video where some guy shows how to put it up alone, but he gets off track talking about his dog and never finishes the set up. We had a problem with the zippers coming apart, Eureka sent us the new pull pieces with instructions and that fixed the problem.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:04 PM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Read the reviews on true Clams. Owners swear by them. They are quick set-up take-down by one person. They open somewhat like an umbrella. I notice the pavilion model includes built in side flaps. They give you an outdoor room. Clams aren't the cheapest. Shop around for the best price.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
The Dometic A&E awning on my Bigfoot may be worth a look. It's very sturdy and can be staked to the ground.

Walt
Walt, thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely take a look at Dometic's current offerings. Hope Danny has fully recovered; Give him a belly rub from us. We plan to do your Dutch oven upside down pineapple cake when we go to Portsmouth in a couple of weeks.

Also appreciate everyone else's comments. We have a Pahaque screenroom and enjoy the many advantages provided by such products but, for us, they don't serve the same purpose as an awning attached to the camper.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:02 PM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
A lot of what Carefree of Colorado offers is Fiamma and other companies awnings. They then sell them with their own logos and new descriptive names. Not all that unusual of a practice in the business world.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning