Awning Revisited - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Hi all! I am once again considering a store bought awning for our Trillium 4500. We currently use a home made awning consisting of white tarp with rope sewn in one edge that slips into original awning track. Because we use tent poles, stakes and ropes it is almost like putting up/taking down a tent whenever we use it. I am looking for something simpler and quicker, yet not too expensive to replace this.

I seem to remember some members were unhappy with bag awnings like the Carefree Campout because of the bag rubbing the trailer finish during travel and also the development of mold under and around the awning bag over time. Can anyone comment on this and or recommend an awning that would be appropriate? Thanks for any insights!

Fred
Fred G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1980 13 ft
Quote:
Hi all! I am once again considering a store bought awning for our Trillium 4500. We currently use a home made awning consisting of white tarp with rope sewn in one edge that slips into original awning track. Because we use tent poles, stakes and ropes it is almost like putting up/taking down a tent whenever we use it. I am looking for something simpler and quicker, yet not too expensive to replace this.

I seem to remember some members were unhappy with bag awnings like the Carefree Campout because of the bag rubbing the trailer finish during travel and also the development of mold under and around the awning bag over time. Can anyone comment on this and or recommend an awning that would be appropriate? Thanks for any insights!

Fred
We to are looking for an awning.. and have considered the bag awning.. I haven't seen anything referecne your questions about the rubbing of the finish or mold.. but these are certainly things to consider..

I guess one could always just remove it before travel is needed. I know i saw on one persons post they put velcro on the bottom ends to hold it in place while driving.. so there iasn't any Flapping.

Keeping mold away is hard.. as no way to keep ot dry 100% of the time.

You've ginven me food for thought.
Will keep looking as well.

thanks
Ria. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Play Pac
Registry
I have a 6-ft bag awning from Interwestsports.com. I've never seen mine flapping because the awning weighs so much and the bag is so short it can't catch much wind. As with any awning, mold will be a problem without routine cleaning and making sure a wet awning is never left bagged for very long. You can check-out my bag awning on the cover-photos album under the albums tab at the top of the screen. I'm on page 17, Ricky W. at Red Top Mt. State Park.
ricky w. is offline   Reply With Quote