Awning solution - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Exclamation

Our little 77S13 is finally campable.
The awning was a true puzzle. Since we did not have an awning rail we opted for a free standing awning. We used Columbia's Condor II which has two big wings and arched ribs. We opted to put one of the wings over the Scamp and attach the straps to the street side of the body. The only problems we ran into was that we needed to move it so that it does not hold down the roof vent. We did have to adjust the angle of the arched ribs so that it was tall enough to open the door. And, naturally, when the wind picked up, we had to add a couple of stakes.
Faith
Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Pictures???

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:31 PM   #3

Now, if I can get pictures to work.

Note that the front porch section will unzip to become the back porch. so you can shade the direction of the most exposure.

Faith
Old 04-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
That looks very nice. Can you tell whether the awning over the trailer adds any extra shading? Did you just use two of the poles?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:52 PM   #5

There are two arched cross members (upside Us) with attachable legs which form a V, and one single upright pole. We put the upright polse in a more verticle position so that the door could open easily.
It all fits into a a bag about 30 inches long.
I have been camping for more than 50 years, and this awning is my favorite.
There was no extra shading as it was just stretched across the top and the mates to the outstretched straps are attatched to the far side of the camper. So it is actually touching the top. Shading would need to be at least an inch above the roof. We were very comfortable, but there was a constant breeze. There are no grommets on the wings to attach taller poles, but with some study, one might be able to make the adjustment.

Faith
Old 04-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
looks great! I looked up your portable awning.... I am still looking for something i can handle by myself.....
i am thinking this one.. since you just put the poles thru a sleeve..

Name:   OL2039.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  12.9 KB
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:31 PM   #7

What we liked was that it was not really complicated and we could attach it to the trailer.
The first set up it took three, but we can easily do it with the two of us, and you might be able to do it with just one.

This is what it looks like without us putting one of the wings over the top.

We want to be outdoors as much as possible, and spend very little time tucked away behind hard walls.

Faith
Old 04-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Condor-Heav...y/dp/B0007IS64M

94 inch center height
wings zip off
24 lbs
base size 18x10
Forgot to look at the price! Scroll down for two opinions.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:14 PM   #9

Trailer: 1987 17 ft Burro
that is a really snappy looking awning - and looks like a good price as awnings go.

We used a snap up screen room on our travels - looks like an 8 X 8 version of those little pop-out kid's playhouses. It works really easily once you get the twist moption to work to make it snap back into a small circle. But we still have to find room to store a circular bag about three foot in diameter. I like the size of yours better. thanks for the info.
Christi W is offline   Reply With Quote