awnings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #1

Name: Vic
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
awnings

This never before RV guy is in the middle of a ground up restoration of a 1977 Boler. Because I don't know anything (about RV'ing) I am asking anyone what their thoughts are re: awnings.
This old cowboy does does not want rivets to hold awning rails, so I will be installing flat head bolts from the inside to hold any metal rail prior to installing my headliner and that's holding the entire project up.
First: pros and cons on crank awnings as opposed to a bag awning and then, how about any fantastic manufacturer recommendations? OR........some manufactures to stay away from.
If a crank awning is much superior (better built and ease of use) than a bag awning but a $100.00 more than so be it. I just need to know what others have experienced. We're talking about a 7 ft. awning only.
Can someone help?

The Blues Guy
Blues Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
awnings

Case (crank out) awnings cost 3-4 times as much as a bag awning. Check out Shady Boy for another alternative.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Another bag-awning maker who does excellent work, and specializes in awnings for many vintage trailers is Marti's Awnings.

Vintage Trailer Awnings FAQ
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:22 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I only see "Rope & Pole" awnings on Marti's website, no bag awnings. Am I overlooking it. My bag awning was bought from Shademaker. Buy the Supreme model if possible, better poles and supports.
EDIT; I have heard many good reports about Marti's awnings.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
The issue I've heard with bag awnings is water getting into the bag. Some have suggested it's because they don't hang straight down when mounted on a curved egg trailer. Seems like it's best to remove a bag awning for long-term storage.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:25 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I only see "Rope & Pole" awnings on Marti's website, no bag awnings. Am I overlooking it. My bag awning was bought from Shademaker. Buy the Supreme model if possible, better poles and supports.
EDIT; I have heard many good reports about Marti's awnings.
True, Marti only does the traditional "rope and pole" style awnings. She will custom make a rope and pole awning to your specifications, but she doesn't make "bag awnings." Her specialty is R&P awnings for restoration folks and those who desire to have one of the older traditional awnings which early trailers had.

One of the downsides for "bag awnings," beside collecting water as was mentioned above, is that they don't fold up due to the stiffening longitudinal framework that they have. The nice feature about regular R&P awning is that I can fold it up and stow it in a very small space. How many people have a place to store an un-bendable bag awning that is 8 feet or longer while traveling unless they have a ladder rack on their truck. And leaving it hanging in the Keder rail on the side of the trailer is why they trap water, or else get beat to death by the wind going down the highway.

I enjoy being able to just fold it up and cram it out of the way where it doesn't take up much room. Bag awnings also weigh considerably more than rope and pole awnings too.

If I'm going to be staying some place for more than a few days, I'll set up the Clam enclosure. For short stays, the R&P awning works just fine.

By the way, I removed my Fiamma awning and sold it. Didn't like it from day one and I'm glad it's gone. Not that the Fiamma awning is a bad product, but the goofy design of the not-too-well-thought-out mounting brackets they attach it to the trailer with really leaves a lot to be desired. Those awning were meant to be mounted to vertical wall trailers (aka "stick built") and not intended for rounded molded fiberglass shells where they don't seal to the trailer.
No goofy awning, just a nice unobtrusive Keder rail. I also never liked the way the silly aftermarket awning ruined the symmetry of the trailer. I know a lot of folks love their roll out Fiamma awnings, but it's not my cup of tea.
Attached Thumbnails
Keder Rail1.JPG   Keder Rail2.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
You might want to search and checkout Westy and SUV awnings. There are several nice ones available with metal cases but don't have the expensive wing up hardware. Fiamma sells a 35 model awning I had considered installing on a 13. There is also an awing that stores in a 4 ft. metal case that has self supporting fiberglass arms which is nice on a smaller trailer. Someone here installed one on a Boler which was very nice.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I was in the market for a new awning last year and when I looked at the price of the crank awnings I ran.
My old bag awning was a carefree and it lasted a good long time but I wanted something different and my dealer had an over stocked Dometic bag awning for a price I couldn't refuse
I have never had trouble with a bag awningexept when the 20 + year old carefree bag started to rip along the zipper.
The Dometic seams to have a much bigger and better zipper.
check out how I installed on the thread ;
awning on scamp 13
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
...There is also an awing that stores in a 4 ft. metal case that has self supporting fiberglass arms which is nice on a smaller trailer. Someone here installed one on a Boler which was very nice.
That sounds like the Shady Boy awning. Several members have reported installing one, including Ian G. in his Boler renovation project. See posts #295-297 and #316-317: Project Boler
Old 02-03-2017, 08:49 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
That's it Jon.
ShadyBoy.com - The Awning

I have also installed two pad eyes to the trailer roof edge and attached a Bow Top fiberglass rod dining awning. Less than $100 and stores in a small bag.
Eddie

Kind of like this.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...g-65406-2.html
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning