AXLE AL-KO ?? 2000# can't see TYPE - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-26-2020, 12:06 PM   #1

Name: Marco
Trailer: Helping Neighbor rebuild one
TX
AXLE AL-KO ?? 2000# can't see TYPE

My guess its shows u20 85 does anyone know what this shows? its from a Casita 13' 1986.

Here is what we are trying to do.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...3-a-93828.html

(or you can read it here)

would like to replace the rear axle with a better riding system (or mod with shocks, leaf). I THINK this is a dexter torsion axle?? But really don't know. Looks like you can easily unbolt the rear end. Are there any good links or sites to order a new rear? he is doing a remodel (gut and redo every inch of it) to be safe i would bet you need a 2k lbs+ axle. Or some how add a lift kit, shocks, and taller wheels. I have been searching this forum and Casita club. Just looking and getting ideas what others have done. Thanks for your time. Once we know that we can support the added weight. Next steps; Take the shell off (touch a few holes and reseal all windows..etc), repaint (or powder coat) the frame.. and work our way up. Any help or ideas you have we'll take it.

Wiring kits (12V) for all new lights, leds, small gas generator, Solar panel, window AC unit, inside wall damping/insulation, if anyone has any plans (to scale) for woodworking. as you can tell he and i will be busy. It will be a fun restore project (if and when we can find free time).
marcop300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:05 AM   #2

TX
i forgot to attach the pic
Attached Thumbnails
dex.png  
Old 09-27-2020, 06:21 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
IMO, your best bet is a new rubber torsion axle. Independent action gives a better ride than a leaf-spring set-up, and the axle tube serves as a frame cross member. Old rubber torsion axles become harsh as the rubber ages and gets brittle. I’ve heard many people remark after getting a new axle, “it’s like a whole new trailer.”

For the best ride, the axle should be matched to the actual gross weight of the trailer- with some margin, of course- so if you’re planning an extensive renovation, you might want to hold off a bit. Some renovations shave weight, but many increase weight. Axles can be custom tuned at time of manufacture. A 3500# axle can be de-tuned down to as low as 2500#, for example.

The axle arm start angle can be specified (up to 45* down) to increase ground clearance and allow for larger wheels and tires if desired. For more flexibility, the Flexi-ride torsion axle has splined, user-adjustable axle arms. Only caveat is the arms are shorter than fixed arm models, so the mounts will have to be relocated on the frame to keep the wheels centered in the wells.

Casita frames have been known to break under the front corners. Inspect carefully and repair or reinforce as needed.

Best wishes on your project!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:24 AM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If you get the number you can call ALKO and get the complete specs.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:41 AM   #5

TX
thank you. Yes, this will be a full restore, every inch. i soo agree with you about the inspection on the frame. that is why we are going to take the shell off, and look at it. also, see if there are any cracks and how much rust..etc. we will sand it, primer, paint..etc. the camper now has nothing in it, we also found out the shell was helo on with 2 bolts (YIKES)... we will call dexter , also we will measure the axle..etc. I just wish those numbers on the sticker meant something. I can't find U"20 85" i can see u19 and 029 on the web...but not u20... or maybe i am reading it wrong. once we find a good base (axle and frame).. then we can start adding LIGHTweight parts for the inside. this guy here did a Great JOB.. wow https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...n-81235-4.html i did look over this post Axle Replacement Advice Needed - The Casita Club Forum - The Casita Club Forums i guess the model that he owns is really called a Casita Patriot Deluxe 13' or just a Patriot 13' 1986. we also read this https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...3-a-43734.html sorry, i am all over this post. but i WAY new into this and just want to learn what others have done and want to be SAFE about it.

Tags
axle