axle replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2006, 01:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
My 1977-13' Scamp that I bought a month ago has a axle that has no more spring to it. I contacted a local trailer dealer(Redneck-Tampa,FL) to order a replacement axel. They said that a axel was never made that mounts with leading wheels. I tryed to explain that my trailer was that way & he acted like I was a moron.

Well I can not install a trailing axel because of the floor interferance. I have MIG & TIG welders so I can do the work ,but at this point I do not know what to buy or where to buy it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Don
Don Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I`ve never thought about reversing the axle ......in my 13' Boler, I have the leading axle and it seems to work quite well...has 32 years on and is still going strong, (better not speak too loud), .....Normally an axle has toe in to track properly but it`s possible that these axles were made with zero toe in and could be used either way....I`ll have to measure my axle for that.....it could have been a major nuisance to have leading and trailing axles that were different.....maybe can get an answer someplace....I wouldn`t trade a torqflex, or rubber ride, axle for a leaf spring type if I could help it......The warranty used to be one year for the sprung axle and five years for the rubber ride....must be something to it....also the shock dampening with the rubber, where as, springs without shocks just keep on a bouncing....just like a car with shot shocks....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Just talked to a person at Standens, axle distributor in Calgary, Alberta, and found out that theusable usage range would be about same in a leaf spring axle as the torqflexes and on manufacture they try to run 0-1/4" toe in but normally most are straight and will track straight...so suppose that the leading axle and trailing axle can be reversed if toe in is zero....but they would like to know is axle is being used as a lead or trail so when they check a new axle they`ll try to find one possibly that`s zero for a lead application.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:16 AM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Don, you ought to be able to contact Scamp and they can tell you what axle is under your trailer. Or, your axle may yet have the original tag on it that will give you it's ID numbers. Either way, you ought to be able to get the specs on the axle, and just go order the proper replacement from any Dexter dealer. I believe that the axles are also available from Scamp, although there would be markup on it.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Don, you ought to be able to contact Scamp and they can tell you what axle is under your trailer. Or, your axle may yet have the original tag on it that will give you it's ID numbers. Either way, you ought to be able to get the specs on the axle, and just go order the proper replacement from any Dexter dealer. I believe that the axles are also available from Scamp, although there would be markup on it.

Roger

Thanks for the replies. Please keep them coming........The first thing I did was to contact Scamp to get ordering info for a new Dexter axel. I heard that a guy named Steve would give you the specs, to give a axel supplier for a Dexter axel. Well Steve no longer works there & the guy I talked to could not help. I'm guessing the fire at Scamp caused them to lose some employes.

Since I live in Florida & scamp is in Minn.I was trying to order from a axel supplier that was closer & I could drive to & pick-up the axel.

Just knowing if the current Dexter axel can be reversed would help.

Thanks, Don
Old 06-01-2006, 10:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Our Scamp has an AL-KO axel.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
You might try to contact Dexter directly. I'm sure by now the have heard from almost everyone with a 20 + year old axle Scamp.
I have heard they are very helpful.
They also have a pretty thorough web site.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Check out the Helpful-Links page: Axles and Running Gear
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:14 PM   #9

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

If the salesman that you talked to never heard of a leading axle, find a new axle shop. I replaced the axle on my Love Bug and it would not be possible to install a trailing axle without may modifications. The drop section of the floor would be in the way. The axle is mounted behind the drop section.

Check the Dexter web site, they have a great information section that explains everything about their product. I had to special order my axle but it arrived in under a week and didn't cost any more that an off-the-shelf unit.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:22 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Bob's right! The Scamp 13' has a leading wheel and can't be reversed without major change to the floor, frame and cabinets.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Bob's right! The Scamp 13' has a leading wheel and can't be reversed without major change to the floor, frame and cabinets.
Many thanks for all the information. I removed my old axle & took the measurements I need to give Dexter, however I have one more question:

I would like to put 14" wheels on this Scamp, but do not know if they will fit. Since I am ordering a new axle I could make width changes now if that would enable the 14" wheels to fit.

Dr Don
Old 06-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1984
I'm looking at the AL-KO axle. Checked the website for dealer locations and found the only one in Canada is in my home town. Should lower shipping costs EH?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:35 PM   #13

Trailer: Burro
Quote:
Many thanks for all the information. I removed my old axle & took the measurements I need to give Dexter, however I have one more question:

I would like to put 14" wheels on this Scamp, but do not know if they will fit. Since I am ordering a new axle I could make width changes now if that would enable the 14" wheels to fit.

Dr Don
Well I put 8"X15" in. rims, with 195 75s on my Burro, works great. Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0005.JPG  
wayne s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #14

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
All I can say is: We suspected our Scamp needed a new axle, too. Hubby did finally look at it and say Oh yes we need a new one... and this one is WELDED- how the heck do I replace this?????

Plus, he just is tired of working on things.. so since we live in MN, it will be make an appointment and take it to Scamp themselves for the new axle!!!!! So Backus MN is on our list of destinations now. I wonder will they be able to do the work in one day so we can sleep in the Scamp overnight???
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle