Axle replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Boler
Axle replacement

I haven't been around here for a few years. That trailer just sits in the driveway. I have been thinking about doing a trip or two but my trailer is listing. I guess a new axle would cure the problem. Does anyone have experience replacing theirs?
clarence haasjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Try this Fiberglass RV - Search Results
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence haasjes View Post
I haven't been around here for a few years. That trailer just sits in the driveway. I have been thinking about doing a trip or two but my trailer is listing. I guess a new axle would cure the problem. Does anyone have experience replacing theirs?
Is your axle bolted on or welded? I replaced my bolt-on 74 Boler axle a couple of years ago with an axle made to Boler specs and imported from the USA by Paul Neumeister in Ontario : Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs, and Service by Paul Neumeister . He had the right axle for as a good a price as I got locally, and the local one I tried first was made wrong and I was lucky to be able to return it.

If bolted on, it is a fairly easy job you can do at home. If welded, it is still an easy job but you have to have someone who can weld do it, probably a shop.

Your trailer may also be listing because there is a lot more weight on the kitchen (street) side than on the curb side. A new axle will still possibly have a slight list because of that.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
Is your axle bolted on or welded? I replaced my bolt-on 74 Boler axle a couple of years ago with an axle made to Boler specs and imported from the USA by Paul Neumeister in Ontario : Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs, and Service by Paul Neumeister . He had the right axle for as a good a price as I got locally, and the local one I tried first was made wrong and I was lucky to be able to return it.

If bolted on, it is a fairly easy job you can do at home. If welded, it is still an easy job but you have to have someone who can weld do it, probably a shop.

Your trailer may also be listing because there is a lot more weight on the kitchen (street) side than on the curb side. A new axle will still possibly have a slight list because of that.

Rick G
Thanks for your response.My axle is welded on. Did these trailers have a list when they were new? I am thinking that after almost forty years the must be some deterioration happening.
clarence haasjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler American
Registry
Smile axle

Hi
Are you planning to install brakeon your new axle ? Your original axle has leading arm configurations and didn’t have brake plates. But if you want to install brake in the future ,you gone have to change from leading arm to trailing arm .We installed a new axle with brake last year on our 72 camper , and it was worth it , it’s smoother ride and the tires last longer.
It’s up to you. Jean-L
JEAN-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Hi Clarence

Have you checked out E & H hitch there is 3 in the lower mainland there is one on 128th and 88th in Surrey or around there. They have done work on my unit .I was happy with the work done. If you go to a spring system for your axle you will gain 3 or 4 inches in clearance which can be nice.

Hope this helps
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #7

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEAN-L View Post
Hi
Are you planning to install brakeon your new axle ? Your original axle has leading arm configurations and didn’t have brake plates. But if you want to install brake in the future ,you gone have to change from leading arm to trailing arm .We installed a new axle with brake last year on our 72 camper , and it was worth it , it’s smoother ride and the tires last longer.
It’s up to you. Jean-L
Hi, new member here. I have a new (to me) 1984 13' Scamp that I'm gonna hafta do considerable work on. The axle/suspension is the 'torflex' type with forward (leading) torsion arms. The suspension is apparently very weak as the arms currently sit at approx 10-15 degrees 'up' angle resulting in the trailer sitting very low with less than 3" clearance between the top of tires & underside of the wheel well. I'm expecting to have to replace the axle & thought about adding brakes while doing that. In order to change to 'trailing' arms the new axle would have to be moved forward so the wheels can be in same position in the wheel wells. I don't believe I can do that as the current axle is welded onto the chassis just behind the 'drop' floor that occupies the front 2/3 of the trailer (probably the reason for 'leading' arm) & I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fit correctly if located farther forward?? I haven't talked yet to Dexter or other axle folks. Does having brakes actually require a trailing rather than leading arm? TIA.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
Quote:
Does having brakes actually require a trailing rather than leading arm?
No as long as they are installed on the proper side of the axle.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs, and Service by Paul Neumeister
Contact Paul Neumiester ant he can discuss your axle in detail. He's done these or shipped them for others.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #10

Arkansas
Thanks for the link James. I looked at Paul's website. He can probably give me some good info. Also, he has a couple of 'parts' I need to check on. Need to see if the upper end cabinets will fit the Scamp as well as the Boler (they should as I think the Scamps were originally mfg'd by the Eveland folks as Bolers under contract before the Boler Co. folded)?? I'm planning to remove the 'bunk' bed/sofa from front end of my Scamp & replace it with a 2-person dinette & I'd like to have a cabinet above it.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:04 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Harvey, not only check price but check shipping... that adds to the cost... expecially when shipping across the border. Scamp's shipping for small things seems excessive, but if you call rather than use their online store shipping costs go down. Compare Paul's price + shipping to Scamp's price + shipping. The difference is what you keep in your pocket and can use to go camping!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #12

Arkansas
Weellll... The weather cooperated (sunny 50*) this morning so I 'did the dirty deed' - performed the 'jump' test that is. Had my wife get inside the Scamp & while I laid on a piece of cardboard & watched the torsion arms of my axle suspension, she 'bounced' the trailer up & down a number of times. Bad news - NO, none, zero, zip, nada movement/flex of the arms, only the tire sidewalls flexed . Not unexpected considering how low the trailer rides; just confirmed for me that I do indeed need a new axle <_< . Sooo, tomorrow I'll call Dexter & perhaps Paul Neumeister, & find out if I can buy/order a 2200# leading arm axle with brakes. It appears that Trent Fisher at Scamp may have been correct & my trailer did leave the factory with a 22.5* down start angle & the arm stub has definitely turned in the axle. If I use my current wheels with 4 on 4.5 lugs & 175-80-13ST tires it'll put my hitch at around 18-19" height which is just what I need with my TV. May just order the 5 on 4.5 lugs & treat the Scamp to all new 'shoes'.

In this not very good pic you can see just how 'up' the arm currently rides
Old 02-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
If that picture was taken while doing the jump test, it looks like your stabilizer jack is down.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
Weellll... The weather cooperated (sunny 50*) this morning so I 'did the dirty deed' - performed the 'jump' test that is. Had my wife get inside the Scamp & while I laid on a piece of cardboard & watched the torsion arms of my axle suspension, she 'bounced' the trailer up & down a number of times. Bad news - NO, none, zero, zip, nada movement/flex of the arms, only the tire sidewalls flexed . Not unexpected considering how low the trailer rides; just confirmed for me that I do indeed need a new axle <_< . Sooo, tomorrow I'll call Dexter & perhaps Paul Neumeister, & find out if I can buy/order a 2200# leading arm axle with brakes. It appears that Trent Fisher at Scamp may have been correct & my trailer did leave the factory with a 22.5* down start angle & the arm stub has definitely turned in the axle. If I use my current wheels with 4 on 4.5 lugs & 175-80-13ST tires it'll put my hitch at around 18-19" height which is just what I need with my TV. May just order the 5 on 4.5 lugs & treat the Scamp to all new 'shoes'.

In this not very good pic you can see just how 'up' the arm currently rides
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #14

Arkansas
Good eye there Bill; nope, that pic was taken the day after I brought it home. Yesterday I raised the jacks before we did the jump test. The jacks are a couple of scissors jacks from automobiles that the PO welded to the rear bumper, along with brackets to hold some 'generic' tail, brake, turn signal lights. Gonna cut/grind 'em off, put new lights back on trailer & probably install a couple of BAL stabilizer jacks at rear, after I get the new axle on. The scissors jacks are a good idea, I'm just not too fond of the 'clunky' way they're mounted

Tags
axle