B 17 CB.....elec reno done.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2014, 12:04 AM   #1

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
B 17 CB.....elec reno done....

I posted a while ago about my elec. panel move etc....this is the end result including the "shoe drawer".....all in all, turned out pretty good....

the drawer is flat bottomed and just slides on the floor (on some felt pads)...a bungee cord (visible just above the white pipe in the third picture) gets pulled over the hook on the back of the drawer to keep it closed while traveling...

battery boxes took up too much room (DPO had them in there and made it impossible to service/check the batteries)...so I made a rack for them and a hold down system...a clear plastic tub (upside down) prevents anything from making contact with the terminals...

sure got maximum use out of that piece of real estate...LOL
Attached Thumbnails
shoesto1.jpg   shoesto3.jpg  

shoesto4.jpg   elecr9.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Nice work Francois,

A couple of questions. What is the large diameter vent like hose for? Did you vent the battery?

Thanks, john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #3

British Columbia
Registry
answers...

it's 2" heat duct (see the register just right of the drawer face)...this is as far as you can get away from the furnace in this trailer... (never gets REAL hot) so when I couldn't source 2" duct locally I substituted 1 1/4" water pipe (the duct is a snug fit over the bends) I almost deleted the thing altogether but sometime in the future I plan to substitute the left bend for a tee fitting, put a vent into the adjacent bathroom and bleed a little heat into there

the battery "compartment" is not vented...there is no compartment. Given my intended use I can't see draining the batteries so fast as to create a lot of gasses. I know what batteries can do (I had two explode right in front of me in industrial applications...not pretty) I'm comfortable with this set up....the batteries are tall enough and the upside down tub is deep enough that when the seat is down the cover/tub is trapped in that position. If the batteries did produce gasses the fit of the tub is not so tight as to concentrate them...they would vent/dissipate into the whole area under the seat.

before the change the power cord (coiled, top right) used to run diagonally across the compartment...the 12volt wire bundle used to run from top left going straight down (both runs were screwed down to the floor) and the 2" duck ran across both (like an asterisk!...LOL)
Attached Thumbnails
shoesto8.jpg   shoesto9.jpg  

shoesto10.jpg  
Old 05-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
Flooded batteries really need to be vented outside. The vented boxes that are commercially available have an intake hole in the floor and an exhaust hole in the top which is piped outside through a vent.

You have created a dangerous situation. If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Hummm the set up in the photo of the battery looks a little different that others I have seen in Bigfoots of the same age. The others I had seen with the battery inside where vented. Looks like the battery box has been changed on yours as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:16 PM   #6

British Columbia
Registry
thanks, beemerphile.....

I'll leave the shore power cord door open when parked (it's just beside the batteries)

yep, battery layout is different... Bigfoots have one battery outside...DPO had a couple of golf cart batteries professionally installed under the left dinette seat.....they were in two GC2 battery boxes (unvented BTW).....problem was the boxes took up so much space that one box could not be opened without removing the inboard battery (a major pain)....hence my new set up.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile1 View Post
Flooded batteries really need to be vented outside. The vented boxes that are commercially available have an intake hole in the floor and an exhaust hole in the top which is piped outside through a vent.

You have created a dangerous situation. If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right.
Times two. No, make that times ten.

And not just because it's a flooded-cell; any battery can outgas. Even the makers of AGM's have stopped claiming that they can be used without exterior venting. And rightly so-just ask those who've had near-catastrophes in their Parkliners, where such batteries were initially being installed in a way very much as you've done here. A very dangerous situation, now being corrected by that manufacturer.

If you must keep the battery inside the trailer, please do acquire and use an outdoor-vented battery box.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
So, Frances.....

have you ever had a battery blow up in your unit? (hydrogen gas ignited by a spark)....just wondering....(???)
Old 05-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
have you ever had a battery blow up in your unit? (hydrogen gas ignited by a spark)....just wondering....(???)
If this question's for me:
My battery is outside on the tongue where there's no ignition source/ place for gases to collect so...no.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
Well good for you Francesca....(nice name BTW..;))

because I've been "close and personal" twice with battery explosions.....other than create the loudest BANG you are ever going to hear...they don't do much damage really....the battery caps shatter, acid blows out of the container and the top of the container splits.....other than that....no schrapnell, no ball of fire......(sorry if I dissapoint)

if it happened in an enclosed area (like my underseat compartment) the only thing I'd be looking at is a big clean up job and the rigging in my ears for a few hours....

there are thousands of boats out there with batteries that are not vented anywhere....I wonder how they "survive".....they do it by mitigating the risk of a spark near the top of the battery bank.....I think I've done that

the "emergency industry" is alive and well.....and if it was only up to them we would not set foot out of our houses unless we wore bullet proof vests and drove armored cars....

I used to know a guy who said he would never fly in a plane without propellers because it was unsafe......but that's another story....Best Regards, F
Attached Thumbnails
profile.jpg  
Old 05-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
Will starting something on fire in the hatch be enough of a convincing that its a bad idea not to vent a battery or does it have to be a blow up

Smoking Batteries Thread

What is the new battery Parkliner is using - see post #10 as to what was happening under the unvented battery in Franks trailer.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Francois,

Thanks for the venting explanation. I have been considering running a branch vent to the bath to take the chill off the cold weather camping we do. The furnace is certainly able to handle the branch diversion. Just have to fashion some kinda hood to keep the shower water out. Boat suppliers have provided some ideas. Pics to follow some day/year.

I vented my battery, but it's hard to find fault with your logic. In the end I wonder how much gas is really generated.

Cheers, john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #13

British Columbia
Registry
Blow up.....:)

I read all of that through Carol.....but it really does not apply....I don't have a converter/charger anymore....I don't sleep while the newest whiz-bang, "smartest" technology is putting out current (little or LOTS) to provide power to my DC side AND charge my batteries at the same time using some "brain" that ain't one.....

I've sort of "retro-engineered" my system.....when I'm plugged in... the AC side is available but separate (it does not feed 12V power to the coach, all 12v power comes from the batteries)...and, while plugged in, I "manually" charge my batteries....when they are topped up I shut the charger off....then I go to bed....no smoke, no fires, no drama.

I know, I know....sounds old fashioned...nuttin' automatic about it....but that's the way I like it.....

I come from small boats.... no big screen TVs in my trailer, no hair dryers...no inverter....if it won't run on 12 volt...or propane... it won't be on board (except for a 120V volt space heater for when I'm parked in a RV park and plugged in)....cheers, F
Attached Thumbnails
elecr9b.jpg  
Old 05-14-2014, 11:05 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
Francois,

Thanks for the venting explanation. I have been considering running a branch vent to the bath to take the chill off the cold weather camping we do.
John a number of people have cut a whole near the bottom of the bathroom door and installed a vent opening so that the warm area from the trailer can actually get into the bathroom area.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:11 PM   #15

British Columbia
Registry
hey John....that's a tempting little mod ain't it.....

a heated "wet" bath.....now is that decadent or what?...!!! LOL.....that 2" duct is so close (in my trailer) it's just itchin' to be done.....you're right about sourcing out parts from boat stores.....I found a nice little, white louvered vent that would just do the trick (I bought it)......all I need now is the courage to start cutting a hole in the fiberglass (always a challenge)....would be sweet though....hopefully it happens before fall
Attached Thumbnails
elecr5.jpg  
Old 05-15-2014, 01:50 AM   #16

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Glad I read this thread. I have been thinking about doing the same thing with my bathroom. However I'm wondering if I'm better off not heating it to keep the heat in the main area of the camper.

I suppose I could block it if desired
The other issue I have is the bathroom window is the only single pane window in the camper. I'd like to replace it with double pane but it seems like an un eves day expense given the bathroom is not heated.

It might be a nice pair of mods to do at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
Francois,

Thanks for the venting explanation. I have been considering running a branch vent to the bath to take the chill off the cold weather camping we do. The furnace is certainly able to handle the branch diversion. Just have to fashion some kinda hood to keep the shower water out. Boat suppliers have provided some ideas. Pics to follow some day/year.

I vented my battery, but it's hard to find fault with your logic. In the end I wonder how much gas is really generated.

Cheers, john
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:51 AM   #17

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
B 17 CB.....elec reno done....

Nice looking camper Francois.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot