Back on the Trillium Reno! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 04:54 PM   #1

Name: Naomi
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Back on the Trillium Reno!

Hi Everyone!

Well the weather is improving and spring is in the air which means my hubby Nico and I have taken the tarp off the Trillium and are back to work on it! Yay!!! I can't tell you how happy this makes me

As a refresher... We bought this little gem last May for $600 and it was ROUGH. It's a '75 and a 1300. My parents spotted it in this guys garage (in Fanny Bay on Vancouver Island) when they were at his neighbors garage sale. There was no sign on it but dad and I went later to see if he would sell it. And he did... to me!

We're going from "eeek! what a mess!" to "ahhhhh.... she's cleaning up so nicely".

We've taken her off the frame. My dad did some welding to fix up some messes. While that was going on we flipped it on the side using dad's backhoe and cut out the floor at the back because the wood was completely rotten and disgusting. New wood... fibreglass and bondo are part of my new skillset (I think I'm getting addicted to the smell!). Patching her back up and she is now sporting some white primer and either tomorrow or Monday we are spraying the white gloss coat on.

Then the plan is to drag her home (currently she's at mom & dad's which is a 30 minute drive from us and not super convenient - except mom feeds us so well!), get the cleaned up windows back in (which I'm still working on cleaning). Put in a fantastic fan and start piecing her back together with Dr.Seuss in mind... this is not going to be a boring little Trilly!

Thanks for reading!
If you'd like to follow along with more photos I post them all on my FaceBook album here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=6aa1488b94

Here's to Happy Campers!
~Naomi
Attached Thumbnails
trilly_eek.jpg   primed_trilly.jpg  

superartgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:41 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Great pics....and YOU get the award for an egg roll . Cutting the floor out without being on your hands and knees.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:42 PM   #3

British Columbia
Egg roll! HAHAHA Love it! Thanks Dave
Old 04-16-2016, 08:56 PM   #4

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
Nice work! I've recently followed you on Instagram. (bamtech1)

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #5

British Columbia
Thanks Glenn! Following you as well
Old 04-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #6

Name: Randy J.
Ontario
Great work. I look forward to finished pictures (although if mine is an indicator, it will never be finished!). A couple of thoughts:

That Bondo smell isn't something you should get addicted to. I've lately picked up a proper chemical respirator to filter out the VOCs when working with resin and body filler. You can research what is best. Wasn't always so careful, but as the saying goes, If I'd know that I would live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself!

And I plan also to put electric brakes on our 76 Trillium. Technically they aren't required, but other owners tell me it adds a great deal of control in emergency stops.

Have fun!
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I am impressed!

Very good job. I would have liked to see the picture of the hole in the bottom.

There have been people with rotted plywood in front of the kitchen. I think going through the bottom of the trailer makes the most sense. Keeps the cuts out of sight, and closing up should be relatively easy, compared to repairing the furniture on the inside of the trailer.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #8

Name: Doug
California
Registry
Wow, you guys rock!
I know your unit, it's the one that was just South of the FBI. My brother lives in Fanny Bay.
We went through the same process last year, and enjoyed every minute of it and in the end when your cookin wieners at some campground its reeeaaaalllyyy worth all the effort.
How's the fridge? Looks a little rusty but it might be recoverable.

Doug

Tags
trillium