Back to Scamp lift kits - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2020, 02:29 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Back to Scamp lift kits

I put a lift kit in my 2017 Scamp 16-foot last year and finally finished it today. Part of the installation is to cut the floor support to the center of the axle. I have run about 4000 miles with out the support and have had no problems, but it was always in the back of my mind. The lift kit was for 3.5 inches, so I lap welded in a 5-inch strap to make up the difference. My out of position welding skills were a little rusty, and my painting in the wind skills were even “more rustier”. I would still like to do a shock kit. Anyone done it?
Attached Thumbnails
Floor support 1.jpg   Floor support 2.jpg  

AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
My first question is: what is that tab for? One possible answer is that it is there to stiffen the floor. However, would it not be better to stiffen the floor independently from the axle?

I just looked and my 19 footer has the raised axle and the floor is stiffened by one of those 1.5 x 3.0 inch thick wall tubes, placed above the axle, parallel to it.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Registry
what is that tab for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
My first question is: what is that tab for? One possible answer is that it is there to stiffen the floor. However, would it not be better to stiffen the floor independently from the axle?
I just looked and my 19 footer has the raised axle and the floor is stiffened by one of those 1.5 x 3.0 inch thick wall tubes, placed above the axle, parallel to it.
I went for about 4,000 miles with out it and noticed no difference but I was told it was for floor support. The Scamp torsion axle is bolted (old ones welded) directly to the frame. Maybe it is needed for support in the long term.

If I was the Scamp factory, I would not notch the angle iron (drill a hole for the wire) and it would be stronger.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:38 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
When I replaced the axle in my Scamp I welded the floor support tab to the axle but screwed it to the floor angle iron. That way by removing four bolts, a screw and the brake wiring I can drop the axle without any cutting.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Registry
Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
When I replaced the axle in my Scamp I welded the floor support tab to the axle but screwed it to the floor angle iron. That way by removing four bolts, a screw and the brake wiring I can drop the axle without any cutting.
My lap weld would have been a perfect place for bolts.

Tags
scamp