Backup camera installation woes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2020, 04:47 PM   #21

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita
Oklahoma
Like Rzrbrn, I chose the reliability of a hardwired camera for our Casita. I installed the camera inside the top of the rear window and ran the wire through the upper cabinets to the front and into a closet where I ran the cable out to the tongue with the wiring for the 7 pin connector. Since I had CAT5 wire, connectors, crimpers, etc., I chose that for my disconnect to the tow vehicle. I then ran CAT5 under the vehicle (in wire loom along with a high current 12 volt wire from the vehicle 12 volts to the 7 pin connector) to the dash (and 12 volt relay to the battery). I replaced my radio with an Android-based unit with gps, multiple video inputs, etc. I used the 12 volt source from the head unit (for a power amp) to power the camera and added a switch on the dash where I can select the camera I mounted on the tailgate or the camera on the back of the Casita to help with hooking up the trailer, checking on the hitch during travel, backing the trailer, or simply checking to see how much traffic is backing up behind me while I putter along on a 2 lane highway since my side mirrors don't allow me to view much behind the Casita. I still exclusively use the get-out-and-look routine and my side mirrors when backing the Casita - the camera is basically just another safeguard as I ease back.
ldsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:27 PM   #22

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
LeeKooLuu 1080P Wireless camera working fine now

Thanks friends for the helpful discussion. There was nothing wrong with the camera. It turned out that the Scamp backup lights weren't working and so they were unable to power the camera.
That problem arose because the Toyota folks installed a 4-prong wiring harness on my new Highlander; they don't do 7-prong but that's what the Scamp has. I found a shop that installed a 7-prong adapter (sorry I know that's not the right word) but did not bother at first to tell me that this would not connect my backup lights. Eventually they provided the needed extra wiring so all Highlander lights now are working on the Scamp. And they wired the camera to the Scamp running lights, so the camera works even when I'm not moving in reverse. Just got home from our first road trip and didn't even use the camera until I got back home.
Someone asked why I chose the LeeKooLuu 1080P Wireless: It got some good reviews here and there. I like that I can mount the monitor on the same CravenSpeed magnet that keeps my iphone at eyelevel next to the steering wheel (backup monitor is powered by cig lighter). Good helpful images, especially for me while I am still learning to think in reverse.
My only negative comment on LeeKooLuu is awful print and video instructions, other documentation and support.
Siceloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:09 AM   #23

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Siceloff, I’m happy to hear you sorted out your install trouble. How is the image on the monitor? It sounds like it’s fine.

I have an wireless echomaster MRC-WLP43 rearview camera. I suction cup mount it to the rear window of my 13ft Scamp and power it from the 12V outlet. The monitor is also plugged into a 12V outlet and floats around in the tow vehicle. I normally use it In tight conditions.

My install stresses the range of the wireless transmitter. The image is very clear when the monitor is in the trailer, less so in the tow vehicle.

Idsharp and Rzbrn have great setups for their backup cameras. That’s the way to go if you use the video feed a lot.

BTW I appreciate Glenn’s comments in general and in this thread. I also like the picture he uses in his profile. The frog helps me gravitate towards his posts. What’s the point if we all agree?
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:05 PM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arizona
I was looking for a simple "plug and play" backup camera solution for my Scamp 13 and came across this wireless RVS 83-112 "Hitch Camera". Uses a 9V battery for the camera, that attaches to your trailer's rear bumper or receiver and the monitor plug's into your 12V accessory outlet (cigarette lighter). The monitor pairs to the camera's wi-fi signal out of the box and, so far, has been very reliable. Range has not been an issue with the 13' and don't know how it would work for anything longer, but works great for my Scamp 13:

https://www.amazon.com/Rear-View-Saf...0834709&sr=8-4
Romerohiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:14 PM   #25

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romerohiker View Post
I was looking for a simple "plug and play" backup camera solution for my Scamp 13 and came across this wireless RVS 83-112 "Hitch Camera". Uses a 9V battery for the camera, that attaches to your trailer's rear bumper or receiver and the monitor plug's into your 12V accessory outlet (cigarette lighter). The monitor pairs to the camera's wi-fi signal out of the box and, so far, has been very reliable. Range has not been an issue with the 13' and don't know how it would work for anything longer, but works great for my Scamp 13:

https://www.amazon.com/Rear-View-Saf...0834709&sr=8-4
Note: The camera has a magnetic base; so, is easily attached and detached from the trailer's rear bumper or receiver. The monitor pairs with the camera's "digital" signal vs a wi-fi signal and paired seamlessly, out of the box.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:25 AM   #26
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
rear view camera

sounds like what everyone needs, where did you get it? how long have you been using it? thanks for posting.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:00 AM   #27

Arizona
Amazon sells it, as shown in the posted link, as does, ETrailer, RVS (the manufacturer), etc. Just Google it:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...sclient=psy-ab
Old 09-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #28

Arizona
FYI, I bought it at Amazon about 6 months ago. Still working fine and the comments that I'd seen about questionable battery life, IMO are unfounded; but, then I only use it for backing up when parking the Scamp.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #29

Arizona
I should add that RVS also makes a wi-fi version of this camera (RVS-83112-WIFI), which I had purchased to save myself from having to carry an additional monitor, as it is designed to pair to your phone/tablet. Unfortunately, my experience confirmed that of other reviewers, that the unit is not without it's issues. I found that while using their app, the camera would only connect to my Note 9 about half the time and when it did connect, would often drop. For me, the RVS-83112 works flawlessly; with the monitor and camera pairing seamlessly and maintaining the connection until the system is shut down.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #30

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
External Backup Camera on Casita Spirit Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I put a backup camera on my Casita. ...
I also put a LeeKooLuu backup camera on my Casita. I got it from someone during one of the rallys. It included a night vision camera, 4.3” monitor and a wiring harness. I added an inexpensive wireless transmitter/receiver that I bought from Amazon.

I mounted the camera on the belly band just above the spare tire, ran the wiring in a wiremold tucked under the belly band to a point just above the left taillight into a fiberglass electric box suspended from the belly band where I placed the wireless transmitter on the outside back of the electric box. Using the rest of the wiremold, I ran the wiring from the electric box down the Casita and into the side of the backup/brake/running light assembly where I spliced it to the backup light wiring. Finally, I used silicone caulk to seal the electric box & cover and the pinhole into the backup light assembly.

When needed, the monitor and wireless receiver is a plug/play connection in my tow vehicle’s cigarette power jack.

I have found that it’s best to use my TV’s side mirrors when backing into a campsite without the backup camera. The camera is great once I get the Casita lined up in the campsite to insure that I’m not backing in to far or into something. I do not use the camera when driving.

If you want to use the camera when driving, you could wire it into the running lights rather than the backup lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Casit Rear View Camera.jpg  
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote